Leaving for a sick fishing trip.

Author
HookLineSinker
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 322
  • Reward points: 0
2007/09/06 10:32:58 (permalink)

Leaving for a sick fishing trip.

Heading upstate to hunt down some 'eyes. I'll be going to 2 different places per day. Here's my list of destinations.

St. Lawrence River
Black Lake
Black River
Lake Bonaparte
Delta Lake
Pleasant Lake

Full report after the weekend, like anyone even reads this board anymore.

8 Replies Related Threads

pghmarty
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5951
    RE: Leaving for a sick fishing trip. 2007/09/06 12:25:01 (permalink)
    You might catch eels in the ST. Lawrence

MohawkRiverDan
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 102
    RE: Leaving for a sick fishing trip. 2007/09/06 14:04:46 (permalink)
    Just remember that it is still unlawful to shovel the fish out of Black Lake.  I have had some luck chucking white tubes deep, along weed lines for the eyes. 
    HookLineSinker
    Expert Angler
    RE: Leaving for a sick fishing trip. 2007/09/09 22:52:17 (permalink)
    Greetings again all. Well, I wound up only going to one of the waters I named. The Black River. It was close and convenient, and I would have felt bad if I didn't give some time to the family while we were there. I did do some scouting on Chaumont Bay, Lake Ontario. Didn't bring the boat, just wanted to see if my boat could handle that bay. I think it can. Anyways, here how it went.

My fish finder barely marked any fish the whole time. Seemed like the fish were sticking very close to shore. Besides downed trees, there wasn't much cover or structure for the fish to hold onto. So, early on, didn't have my hopes set too high.

1st, I fished the shoreline that had gradual depth changes, and came up empty handed. Then I tried the other side of the river. It went quickly down to 14 or so. I threw a wally diver in a perch pattern next to a downed tree and came up with a decent smallie. It got crazy after that. I slowly drifted downstream and can't even count the number of fish pulled up. Especially pickeral. This place was loaded with them. So, I basically stuck with the sharp drop offs with the same lure all 4 days, morning and evening. Each outing just as good as the last, and the scenery was great.

Smallie, Rock Bass, Pickeral, Pike, Walleye, Yellow Perch, and 1 fish I've never caught before were all boated. After giving someone a description of it, I was told it was a sheepshead.

Anyways, if anyone is ever in that neck of the woods, I highly recommend this body of water. Just be careful of some shallow spots and a few big tree trunks where you wouldn't normally expect them.
    New York Yank
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 479
    RE: Leaving for a sick fishing trip. 2007/09/18 10:59:22 (permalink)
    Sounds like a good trip Hook. Always a good time to be pulling in fish, whatever they are. I also got my first sheepshead (aka freshwater drum) this year out of the Champlain Canal. Did it look like this guy? I guess it's supposed to make a drumming noise but this one didn't. Maybe he's more a piano guy.

backin79
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1582
    RE: Leaving for a sick fishing trip. 2007/10/03 22:42:11 (permalink)
    yank same here when me and my buddy were fishing onieda this june. We caught and released using jigs tipped with worms about five of those 5 to 10lb. sheephead and I a mean bowfin we learned the identity of these species when we described to the regulars later on at the fish camp what we caught that day. I want to try for them fall walleyes from shore using stickbaits when they start reporting catches.
    HookLineSinker
    Expert Angler
    RE: Leaving for a sick fishing trip. 2007/10/05 16:40:09 (permalink)
    No, the fish I caught was more slender. I've been too lazy to figure out what it was. I just took what these guys told me to be true. Oh well.

Backin, give us a shout here when you plan on hitting Oneida for the fall walleye bite. I plan on it hitting it also. And I've got an open seat on my boat.
    EagleCrg
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 160
    RE: Leaving for a sick fishing trip. 2007/10/06 11:28:28 (permalink)
    Mohawk Dan:  Have the walleyes turned on yet?  How have you fared at the SR this year?
    MohawkRiverDan
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 102
    RE: Leaving for a sick fishing trip. 2007/10/06 13:08:52 (permalink)
    I caught one small waleye on a purple estaz bugger last night before it got dark.  I havent caught too eyes many since I decided to go to all flyrod all the time. I havent been up to the SR yet this year too many people and not enough water. Hopefully I/we could get together some time next month and This time I'll drive. Good to see you posting here, I was wondering what you have been up to.

Take care.
    Jump to: