Glo bug question

Author
bingsbaits
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 5026
  • Reward points: 0
2009/09/30 07:18:18 (permalink)

Glo bug question

When trimming your egg to size, in the tutorial the hook point is really exposed, the material only reaches about 2/3 of the way to the hook point..Some of mine almost fill the hook gap.
Can you fill up your hooks with to much material and miss fish ??
Do you always leave a good portion of the hook exposed or can you bury it in the material a little ??
post edited by bingsbaits - 2009/09/30 07:19:00

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

4 Replies Related Threads

Cold
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 7358
    RE: Glo bug question 2009/09/30 11:12:09 (permalink)
    Exposed hook gap is always a good thing, but unless your glo bugs are super dense, I'd think that a good chomp by a steelhead, followed by a well-timed hookset should be sufficient to drive the point home.

Personally I hate tying the things. It was the first pattern I tried, and I made myself tie about 2 dozen before I moved on to the next pattern. I'm glad I did: I'm still fishing with those ugly reject flies because I hate tying any more than I have to. I much prefer sucker spawn variants, using pom eggs or soft eggs if I'm looking for a single egg imitation.
    byahn32
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 139
    RE: Glo bug question 2009/09/30 17:36:14 (permalink)
    when i tie them i leave a gap between the hook and egg pattern.. i dont see an issue if you use egg yarn because it is not as dense as Mcfly foam.. and it easily moves out of the way when setting the hook.. i did tie some bigger eggs last year using mcfly foam and i did miss a fish or two because of the lack of hook gap.. but i cant confidently say that was the reason i missed those fish.. i just assume it was because i switched to an exposed gap hook and didnt miss any fish after than
    byahn32
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 139
    RE: Glo bug question 2009/10/01 17:15:46 (permalink)
    i tried posting em before but i just didnt like how they looked.. i want my egg to look like an egg not an egg cut in half.. but either style catches loads of fish
    Ironhed
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1892
    RE: Glo bug question 2009/10/08 05:16:09 (permalink)
    If your fly turns out looking like half of an egg you are not using enough material.

Super sharp scissors or my tool of choice, Personna razor blades, make for a nicer finished product.
    Be SURE to cut the material straight, i.e., parallel to the hook shank.

Ironhed 
    Jump to: