Is the Yankee Fly shop still open

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
salmotrutta
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2132
  • Reward points: 0
RE: Is the Yankee Fly shop still open 2009/09/29 22:07:41 (permalink)
I've gotta tell you the first time I went up to the SR it was all whitewater, but I managed one small King somehow in 3 days fishing stuff that scared me a little being a small stream guy. I looked back & the release was 2300 & it rained the whole time I was there. I  watched a drift boat slip away when the guide/clients got out to ****. It ended up crossways- half sunk against a sweeper. Real scary water.
Fast forward a year & after a first day of frustration I went in the shop about 9 pm. hoping to get a little insight for a few dollars in materials.
She gave me the low down on where to go, what flies to use, what types of water, etc.. We talked till about midnight- maybe 1 am.
I never got pressured, but I bought about a dozen flies she suggested & materials to buy more- it was a good trade. No?
The next morning I landed my first decent King, and in the afternoon I landed 9 Kings in a great holding pool swinging & watching the fish come for the grab.
Another time I rolled in without a reservation & everywhere around was booked. She called around & found me a place.
Another I was tired of the crowds & wanted to fish something different. She gave me directions & drew a map to her fav. river & spot to fish cause the water was right.
I've emailed & called at least once a year before heading up & have never gotten a too busy for you response unless the shop was full.
I don't buy allot of stuff there- just a few flies & materials every time i go up.
Every time I ever fished there I did a clean up of all of the trash people left. I even stopped fishing a few times to help her clean up the mess.
I don't blame her for posting- people are hogs & were warned for years to clean up or it would be posted. She got fed up dudes.

That being said I have listened to & believe your stories also. I just have never witnessed it.

Lyrical
dimebrite
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3207
RE: Is the Yankee Fly shop still open 2009/09/30 06:26:34 (permalink)
well i primarily fish dsr since i have a season pass.  but i fish the entire river as well.  i do my best to find the fish.  and you are exactly right, to each their own...
waDerboy
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1910
RE: Is the Yankee Fly shop still open 2009/09/30 06:40:06 (permalink)
I fish mostly mid river myself. I  have never had a bad experience with her since I stopped going there when Rich was running it. Met her a few times a decade or so ago fishing and she was pleasant to me. My comment was aimed at censorship not her or anyone else.

Trutta you know I am controlling myself on this board!
Other than slayer I haven't called anybody names.
Isall cool.

PS speaking of slayer, what are your days off this year. Shooest a pm if ya get a chance. Maybe we can hook up with Adam. Or not!
pafisher
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3000
RE: Is the Yankee Fly shop still open 2009/09/30 09:51:16 (permalink)
Salmo,from what you say she might be suffering burnout from all the Goons that frequent Pulaski during Salmon season.Whatever it is she should get a grip on it 'cause she sure is n't helping herself with her attitude.
johnnyb
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 132
RE: Is the Yankee Fly shop still open 2009/09/30 16:35:50 (permalink)
Salmo: I kinda feel bad since basically i started this so called bashing?   Maybe you did have a god experience with her and continue to do so? thats fine I'm sure she has good days and bad just as the rest  of us.  Based on my experiene and what others have said about her conduct on the river and in her shop.  Thats no way to act as an owner and someone who is trying to make a living off us fisherman!

Is it true then when she walks out back, the wall dwellers start moooooo-ing?   
Selezioni
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: Is the Yankee Fly shop still open 2009/09/30 17:15:15 (permalink)
This is going to be my 4Th year on the SR and I have only had a chance to stop in the Yankee Fly Shop my 1st year.  I can say that I have been a devoted reader of her web site since that 1st trip.  Given the owners post on the shops web site I am very reluctant to walk in her door I don't need to be yelled at when I am on vacation or pressured to spend money in any economy. The owner has the right to tell people that money talks and B*** S*** walk.  For those of you that are made to fell welcome I say good for you but I am going down the road.
metalslayer
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 689
RE: Is the Yankee Fly shop still open 2009/09/30 18:27:04 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: jrb327

Is it true then when she walks out back, the wall dwellers start moooooo-ing?   
That's been reported on another site---the same "reporter" was 1 of her river boys for reports/pics.Why he's bashing her now I don't know(maybe to fit in?).At least he could change his avitard--so it doesn't show him standing on her property.Personally I haven't had a bad experience w/ her---but haven't come in contact w/ her since the kid---possibly there's a post-partum/ mid-life thing going on?

Steel on a pin---so easy a caveman can do it.
Snakes
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: Is the Yankee Fly shop still open 2009/10/02 17:58:45 (permalink)
My friend and I came up from Pittsburgh for the first time on September 20, 21st. Did not know anything about fishing the salmon river except the information we collected off the internet. The yankee fly shop had a nice internet site and seemed like they would be helpful so that was our first stop. We enterred the shop and I informed the owner we were here for the first time and was wondering if they could give us any information She first started alluding to us as virgins which I did not mind  and then proceeded to have her staff assist us in rigging up our leaders and tippets with the proper gear. Then she noticed my buddy was wearing a Gander Mtn. hat. That was it she went off on a tangent saying how the big stores are driving the small shops out of business and that we come up to garner information from her but do not spend any money in her shop. For being here the first time I was really disappointed with her attitude. The two guys working in the shop were great they helped us out but they were forbidden by her to give us any information on where to fish or what they had been hitting on. I spent $87.00 in her shop which I could have spent anywhere (Which I will next time) and she said I probably will not catch any fish unless we hired one of her guides. She put the wammy on us and we did not catch any fish but we had fun and despite her we'll be back. No thanks to her!
dimebrite
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3207
RE: Is the Yankee Fly shop still open 2009/10/02 19:28:56 (permalink)
i'll say one mmore time, she's dreaming if she thinks she's gonna stay in businness in a small town like that while treating people the way she does.  and i'm glad that i've never stepped foot in her door since she owned it.  and i will steer anyone i know away from it.  i am a small business owner and it makes me sick that another small business owner puts herself on such a pedestal.  she's bound to fall... 
salmotrutta
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2132
RE: Is the Yankee Fly shop still open 2009/10/03 00:20:13 (permalink)
Wow- that story does not sit well. Spending a fair share of your hard earned $ & getting snubbed about where you might catch a fish? That's whacked. Welcome aboard BTW. Stick around.

Lyrical
2Bonthewater
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 651
RE: Is the Yankee Fly shop still open 2009/10/03 09:50:03 (permalink)
absolutely off the wall.........I went into that shop many, many years ago.........It was very late and some dude was in there tying flies.......I went in....talked shop and bought some materials and left........that guy was nice as could be......a few years ago, I was standing on the bridge with my dad checking out the river and some lady was out back yelling and yelling.....I couldn't understand......all I know she was YELLING at somebody

When I head up there, my first stop is usually fat nancy's...........get my license and last minute FORGOTTEN materials........I usually do my rounds of the shops up there.......a few flies that look different, a hat or shirt for the wife and kids.........I don't spend much at each shop, but I spread what I can.......can't remember the one shop I was in last year.....it was a NICE fly shop, but the prices were a little steep and the guy at the counter was worthless........he questioned my leader choice or something........I bought 2 short sinking leaders for my switch rod set up........whatever......I paid like 2 bucks for a single sucker spawn--39 bucks total with leaders--- I left all my sucker spawn and smaller eggs at home........more steel than salmon at the time--and oh yeah....whatever hooks those SS were tied on, were worthless

When I head up there, everything is usually in order.......I tie my own flies and generally have everything I need with me.....Most shops are nice enough and give information if asked, even without you buying it.........the shop on the corner in town is usually the nicest........all the information you could ever need.......I remember the first time in there--It was my first trip to the salmon river and I knew nothing about it other than what I read in a few magazines--- I asked where in Pulask E could I catch fish, the store clerk goes:  pulask I, I go, I'm sorry....didn't mean to offend......I said I haven't caught a fish yet.......the guy goes, but did you have fun.......I go yes....but catching one would be more fun........again, he goes, but did you have fun........I go, I got your point......he showed me a few flies and places to go on the river.........I spent like 5 bucks or something........that guy was cool......I still have the business card he gave me.......he said before your next trip, give us a call and we'll give you a river update.......I thought cool......the card is in my shed......I'll edit this later and add the shop name.....

All in all........I don't have much negative to report about Pulask I, other than I really hate to see all the blatant snagging that goes on there.........I've had high number fish days.........I've had a few fishless days.......and some inbetween.......I just love going up there........the smell in the AIR is wonderful.......and the entire ride, I drive and drive and drive.......just waiting to get out my truck at Fat Nancy's and sniff in that wonderful aroma.....

www.2bonthewater.com
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to: