Noob wooly's

Author
bingsbaits
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 5026
  • Reward points: 0
2009/09/23 20:00:29 (permalink)

Noob wooly's

Mentioned fly fishing to a buddy of mine and he showed up at the house with all his Fly tying equipment and supplies.
He doesn't use it any more so he passed it on to me.
A couple vices and the basics...
Looks like he tied Wooly bugger as that was what supplies he had..
So I watched half a dozen different videos on youtube and gave it a shot..
They look kinda funny but for my first ever flies I'm not to bummed. Working with small stuff with Loggers hands is well. I only had #8 gold long shank hooks and no head cement..
Here's a couple pics of Bing's Buggers.. (All criticism accepted and appreciated)..

My first fly..

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

24 Replies Related Threads

KJH807
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4863
    RE: Noob wooly's 2009/09/23 20:11:37 (permalink)
    congrats!
    good job...they will most definitely catch fish

only thing i could say...
    smaller heads and shorter tails

Mountian Man
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4118
    RE: Noob wooly's 2009/09/23 20:20:05 (permalink)
    Nice job Bing!

I dug out my fly tying stuff for the heck of it and whipped up some ugly flies, guranteed to scare every fish in a river LOL

Thread Killer

Veni Vidi Vici...
    Cold
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 7358
    RE: Noob wooly's 2009/09/23 20:27:42 (permalink)
    ****, I wish my first buggers looked so good!

Keep your first one. Fish it hard, and rescue it when snagged.

Catch a fish on it.

Retire it.

Your first fly that caught your first fish on a self-tie has a high concentration of good juju. When kept in a fly box, a little juju rubs off on the other flies. When kept at the desk, it'll improve your tying. No! Really!
    dano
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2987
    RE: Noob wooly's 2009/09/23 21:34:02 (permalink)
    Not too shabby for your first flies, bingo boy.
    Just don't get addicted unless you got some extra cash stuffed in your mattress.
    fishenfool46
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 1000
    RE: Noob wooly's 2009/09/23 22:15:40 (permalink)
    bings good ties dude you are on your way to addiction and a shallow bank account lol

I didn't say these are the ten suggestions
    signed God
    Plum Bob
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 575
    RE: Noob wooly's 2009/09/23 22:49:59 (permalink)
    Pretty **** good for first ties.  Hope you don't get addicted to tying and start loading up on materials with the intention of saving money tying your own flies.  With all the money I've spent on materials over the years I figure I can tie a steelhead fly for about, oh say $6 a piece.

Tying to me is an enjoyable, relaxing pass time, something to keep me busy during the winter time.
    killdeer19
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 654
    RE: Noob wooly's 2009/09/24 11:03:50 (permalink)
    Good Job... Just a few things that I noticed (and did myself when I started out). 1) Careful not to crowd the eye of the hook. You'll be glad you left yourself alot of room on those cold winter days trying to tie one on. 2) Don't let those flies just sint in a box or worse, thrown away. Use them because they will catch fish!!! LOL

Some people are like Slinkies...not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs.
    deetz4352
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3549
    RE: Noob wooly's 2009/09/24 13:34:45 (permalink)
    Bings , well done , you are now on your way to spending time , money and effort in the art of fly tying and then fishing them till they get lost, broke off, or best yet, tore up to shreds catching fish on them. Have fun with it and good luck 
                            Deetz

The Deetz
    Fishermen are born honest,but they get over it
    bingsbaits
    Pro Angler
    RE: Noob wooly's 2009/09/24 19:48:07 (permalink)
    Ok, a couple questions on tying a wooly.

1. Do you always lead wrap the hook ?

2. When trying to make my tails smaller what part of the marabou is best , The webbed fibers off the stem or the wispy single ends ?

3. Should I stick to the standard colors or can you mix and build what you want and have them work equally as well ?

4. What size hooks are best ?

5. When you finish palmering your hackle, how many wraps do you make at the head ? Should it be wispy or a full collar ? Is there to much hackle at the head of this fly ?

6. How come when I sit down to tie a fly a cold cervesa shows up by my right hand, is that normal ?

I'm out of hooks and I can see how this can be a little addicting.
    my first dozen..Still have to work on crowding the eye...

Flyguy638
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 328
    RE: Noob wooly's 2009/09/24 20:45:32 (permalink)
    They are looking good, its sometimes hard to see proportions with pictures, but be careful about having too much bulk in the back as well, you want maximum distance between the hook point and the body, if material is too close to tip you don't get hook ups., especially on the flies on the bottom. You don't have to weight all your buggers, and you"ll get better with your heads. For the first dozen your doing great
    Esox_Hunter
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2393
    RE: Noob wooly's 2009/09/24 20:50:55 (permalink)
    1. No you can use brass/tungston beads to aid in sinking them either by themselves or in conjunction with lead wrap.  You can also tie them with no weight/no bead although I personally do not.  I try to minimize the amount of shot I need on my leader and prefer a heavy fly in most cases.

2.  I like to use strung marabou.  I try and select the quills that have tapered fine fibers on them.  I don't like to go with the ones that or too webby nor do I want them too fine.

3.  Any color combo you can imagine will take fish.  Play around with color schemes until you develop some favorites.

4.  For trout/steel I primarily tie and fish all my buggers on #8-12 4xl hooks.

5.  I like my flies a bit sparser than the one you have pictured in general.  There is no set number of turns of hackle you should use for each fly, I personally like to space the hackle out a little more.  I typically just make one extra turn of hackle on the head prior to finishing the fly, 3 firm thread wraps on it, whip finish. 

6. I often have that same problem

One more word of advice, invest in a hackle gauge, for 5 bucks or so it makes selecting hackles with the same length much easier and quicker.  You can also use the hook gap width to selct the proper size hackle for each hook; to do this wrap the hack around the bare hook you are going to be tying on and it should be between 1.5-2 times the legth of the hook gap.

Looking good so far and welcome to your new found obsession.....err ahh money pit I mean. 
    steely34
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1280
    RE: Noob wooly's 2009/09/24 21:02:01 (permalink)
    Bing man - your buggers look great!!!! Recently there were some threads posted that may help you out with your questions. Warning - tying can become an obsession - but it's a good one to have.
    http://forums.fishusa.com/Steelhead_Bugger_Swap/m_235322/tm.htm
    http://forums.fishusa.com/Woven_Body_Woolly_Bugger/m_237160/tm.htm

"They say you forget your troubles on a trout stream, but that's not quite it..... you begin to see where your troubles fit into the grand scheme of things, and suddenly they're just not such a big deal anymore."

John Gierach

norm289
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 932
    RE: Noob wooly's 2009/09/24 21:07:12 (permalink)
    1. No, you can always use some type of bead. I like them heavy so I use a tungsten bead and even some lead wire wraps.

2. Both. Depends on what look you are after. Bushy, full or slim, sparse.

3. Standard colors are pretty much proven to work. With some experimenting with different colors and other body materials you will fins some of your own favorites.

4. I use 4XL streamer hooks sizes 4 - 12, and also used upturned eye salmon hooks in sizes 4-8. All depends on what I am gonna fish for.

5. I usually always add an extra wrap in front or even use a different type of feather for a collar. I like the buggers to have what some people call shoulders. I personally like the longer fibers sweeping back over the body.

6. It's a problem because of the drink lol! I usually got whiskey or some scotch.

Keep it up! Pretty good so far!
    fishenfool46
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 1000
    RE: Noob wooly's 2009/09/25 07:27:23 (permalink)
    bings when you tie in your body material try to set the hackle in between the wraps
    and i do as everyone else extra wrap at the head.and as norm said doesn't hurt to have
    a lil livation next to ya like a dorm fridge stocked with beer and a bottle of cognac.lol

I didn't say these are the ten suggestions
    signed God
    Cold
    Pro Angler
    RE: Noob wooly's 2009/09/25 11:16:24 (permalink)
    doesn't hurt to have
    a lil livation next to ya like a dorm fridge stocked with beer and a bottle of cognac

Your flies will steadily decrease in quality as you tie...but you wont notice.

I find that my tastes change slightly while tying. Normally I like dark beers and dry martinis...when tying, I tend to like paler, cheaper beer, and good wine...which is odd, because I normally hate wine of nearly any type.
    doubletaper
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3977
    RE: Noob wooly's 2009/09/25 11:51:38 (permalink)
    bings, nice ties.
    i tie most of my buggers on 9672 mustad
    the tail is only as long as the length from the eye to the end of the bend.
    bass will take a bugger by the head so length isn't as critical.
    trout take the bugger from behind. if you feel trout hitting the bugger but aren't catching them, usualy in faster water, try trimming the tail shorter.
    i usualy use the thread color that matches with the marabou
    i always weight my buggers with lead wrap. usually the same diameter lead wrap as the hook dia. for skinny water i will use less weight so they don't hit bottom
     white buggers work better for me in the spring and near the surface, like a minnow escaping.
    darker colors i usualy fish deep on the swing to imitate a scaulpin etc.
    beadheads help when fishing deeper

keep it simple, mixing colors of bodies to hackling and marabou will cost lots more money, they look pretty but i havn't found any combination that will work any better than a bugger tied all the same shade.

adding a few strands of krystal flash or simular, to the tail, gives the bugger a little flash but no need to over do it. 

i like a more fluffy tail than the feather strands on the marabou ~just my experience

http://streamsidetales.bl...015/05/helles-yea.html
    it's not luck
    if success is consistent 

bingsbaits
    Pro Angler
    RE: Noob wooly's 2009/09/25 13:28:00 (permalink)

Thank You fellas, got some more supplies today and will give all this great info a try..

I may try and master the whip finish tool this evening. I should sell tickets...

Cold
    Pro Angler
    RE: Noob wooly's 2009/09/25 13:41:57 (permalink)
    I may try and master the whip finish tool this evening. I should sell tickets...

http://www.flyanglersonline.com/flytying/beginners/part5.php

That lesson really helped me learn to whip finish. He uses big thread so its easier to see.

Really, that whole series is excellent for any beginning fly tying learner.

http://www.flyanglersonline.com/flytying/beginners/archive.php

bingsbaits
    Pro Angler
    RE: Noob wooly's 2009/09/25 21:36:35 (permalink)
    Thanks cold, that whip finish is about the neatest **** thing...
    Went to the shop and spent the $40 Steely34 said is customary..
    Found one way to quit crowding the eye, beadheads..I like their look better also..
    Thanks again for the tips guys, it sure shortens the learning curve..
    Here's the last dozen..Once again all criticism welcomed...

Man you guys this could be worse than a **** Crack addiction..

norm289
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 932
    RE: Noob wooly's 2009/09/25 21:46:00 (permalink)
    Like the white one Bings! White is a good color for me. Keep it up, doing just fine.
    steely34
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1280
    RE: Noob wooly's 2009/09/25 21:58:03 (permalink)
    Sounds...and...looks! to me like your hooked on this Bingy. Flies look great! You'll be tyin all kinds of stuff real soon. You may want to think of gettin an account at that fly shop you go to. Soon they will know you well enough to send ya a Christmas card!!!! Heck - the shop I go to have a special chair for me right next to the coffee pot!

"They say you forget your troubles on a trout stream, but that's not quite it..... you begin to see where your troubles fit into the grand scheme of things, and suddenly they're just not such a big deal anymore."

John Gierach

KJH807
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4863
    RE: Noob wooly's 2009/09/25 22:41:22 (permalink)
    nice implrovement!

the recent round of olive and browns look great

Skip16503
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4028
    RE: Noob wooly's 2009/09/25 23:25:49 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: KJH807

nice implrovement!

the recent round of olive and browns look great

I like the White one also.....

KJ  IMPROVE your Spelling  LOL  Or do we start calling you Mr Miagi.......
    post edited by Skip16503 - 2009/09/25 23:26:06

Cold
    Pro Angler
    RE: Noob wooly's 2009/09/26 00:06:26 (permalink)
    Bing, those're awesome.

I like every one of em.

Tie more white. When I tried fishing them, they became my go-to color in buggers. White 'bou and tail, cream hackle because I couldnt find white at the time I got the cream. Fish ain't picky.

White's also nice because you can see what it's doing (as in: getting bit!)
    Jump to: