Author
Hav2Fish
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 34
  • Reward points: 0
2009/09/22 18:52:07 (permalink)

River Report

This will be quick.
Arrived Sat and hit ellis cove.  Nothing going on. Upper fly in the evening and plenty of fish, no takers. Sun AM went below Trestle to Hemlock.   Nothing going on there, but hook ups by others at the trestle.....zoo.  Hit upper fly Sun evening, 4 guys 10 hookups, 2 landed.  Lots of fish rolling.  Heard DSR had push Sunday eve. Monday AM, headed to DSR side of Black Hole....nothing again.  Went lower to find a nice run coming in Wall hole up to glide and above. We had 12 hookups, landed 1.  Lots of fish moving through.  Went to trooper this AM...nothing going on.  Heard fish were in Ballpark area. Upper fly again this eve and no takers, but plenty of fish.
Here until Friday with no idea where to go.  Wish us luck!  Maybe give updates later.

5 Replies Related Threads

salmotrutta
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2132
    RE: River Report 2009/09/22 18:58:21 (permalink)
    At least you're getting into fish! Those UFZ Rollers are like the Sirens in the Oddesy for me. I can never get them to eat, but I still love to try!
    Best of luck to you & your crew. Wish I were there walking around a tackle shop about now.

Lyrical
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6388
    RE: River Report 2009/09/22 19:28:06 (permalink)
    UFZ for salmon to me is only good when they are spawning but in the past years we only target trout anymore there.

I'd stick with the chance at first kings, I know the dsr is a roll of the dice but when it's on it's on and I am lucky enough to play the odds.

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen
    dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3207
    RE: River Report 2009/09/22 20:32:32 (permalink)
    i agree with tuna, salmon is an early season game for me in the lower river exclusively. to me it's worth every penny of my season pass.  for the UFZ, kings are not too interested in hitting your fly,(most of them are half dead) and they've also seen about everything there is for tackle and bait and flies.  but where you see salmon rolling or staging up in pools or gravel beds.  there are trout near, and don't be surprised by the numbers. i'm talking all day action if you hit it right.  but of course that doesn't always happen. 
    pafisher
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3000
    RE: River Report 2009/09/22 22:07:01 (permalink)
    As far as the UFZ is concerned when the water cools off in Oct and the Salmon get in there and settle down from their run thru the gauntlet they become willing hitters.I fish that all the time and have none stop action then,it's a blast swinging my gaudy streamers in the fast water and get a smash and head shake with the drag screaming right after,can't wait for that trip.
    Right now the salmon are sulking,except cohos,upriver and the majority that are being hooked are lifted.I think the water is too warm for them.
    OldSalt
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 307
    RE: River Report 2009/09/22 22:42:43 (permalink)
    The UFZ has the warmest water in the river this time of year due to the dam releases. The dam takes very long to warm up, finally warming to 70-72 in late August early Sept. Then the releases are the same temp, while down river you'll find water temps in the low 60's due to the cooling nights and low water levels.

This does affect the fall run fish that migrate upriver. As PA said, when the water temps cools in October, the fall run migratory fish turn on.

Hav2, I would fish the lower end now, there are plenty of places to fish that are free. As other's have stated though, the hottest and most aggressive fish will be in the DSR.

Tight Lines,

OldSalt
    Jump to: