are wader boot cleats mandatory

Author
tropheybuck
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 10
  • Reward points: 0
2009/09/20 02:04:01 (permalink)

are wader boot cleats mandatory

I thought there was no regulation on spikes or cleatss on waders until like Nov 15. Am I wrong? I have felt bottom waders. Thanks
post edited by tropheybuck - 2009/09/21 00:13:10

11 Replies Related Threads

salmotrutta
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2132
    RE: are wader boot cletes mandatory 2009/09/20 04:59:47 (permalink)
    I remember where you had to have cleats/studs in boots/whatever after Nov. 1st but I can't find it in the regs.
    I would get some short sheet metal screws if I were you- just long enough to screw into the felt & not through the bottom of the boot. It's all Simms used before they went to carbide studs.
    Real cheap insurance policy. I don't feel 100% safe with felt only on that river. Those river rocks are contemptible.
    Hope this helps a little-
    Trutta.

Lyrical
    metalslayer
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 689
    RE: are wader boot cletes mandatory 2009/09/20 07:09:39 (permalink)
    That was/is a DSR rule.I use the Chotas ----but put spikes on around that time anyway.

Steel on a pin---so easy a caveman can do it.
    dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3207
    RE: are wader boot cletes mandatory 2009/09/20 08:48:01 (permalink)
    in my book, cleats are mandatory...  especially in the lower river.  it's a matter of ease, comfort, and safety.  1. it makes crossing much easier.  there are spots that i cross in 335 cfs that are on slate, and even with this lower base flow, with out cleats i wouldn't be able to do it. 2.  it's comforting to know if i hook a fish or have to get out of someones way who has a fish, that i can freely move with out any worries.  3.  MOst importantly the SAFETY FACTOR. there have been plenty of times i've been up there where a guy drowned. i've actually saved 2 people two seperate times right above some wicked hay stacks.  and they didn't have spikes.  in the lower half the people with out spikes stick out like a sore thumb.  it looks like there doing an interperative dance session on the river...Now, long slow moving upper river holes are a much different story. people who only fish these are thinking i'm crazy.  i fish through out the river though, and it's a matter of habit.  i'd rather keep them on than take them on and off all the time.  i strongly advise cleats though.  hey metal, those chotas are nice.  In salmon season i usually just wet wade with wading boots that have built in spikes...

PS...  wading boots that have felt and spikes combined are great <<<<BUT>>>> never where them during subfreezing times of the year.  the felt will build up ice and block off the spikes.  never where felts past novemeber 1...  eventhough there are some fluke warmer days, just a matter of habit for me.  good luck
    tropheybuck
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 10
    RE: are wader boot cletes mandatory 2009/09/21 00:16:50 (permalink)
    thanks guys, I'll be wearing a different set of waders in Nov,(w/cleats). I'll be coming up this weekend the 26-27 and thought I would be okay with the felt bottoms, And Salmotrutta, good idea w/custumizing the felt bottoms with screws.
              Ya, you're absolutely right dimebrite, safety is definelty priority one. That's why forums like this is priceless. I find it better to ask a question, than be floating on my back down the river.Thanks!
    post edited by tropheybuck - 2009/09/21 00:31:18
    salmotrutta
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2132
    RE: are wader boot cletes mandatory 2009/09/21 05:30:49 (permalink)
    My next pair of boots will be the rubber bottoms with spikes. Felt I like, but you're right about the ice. Also not fun to walk in snow either. Many times I get a foot taller in just a few steps from the build up.
    They say the new rubber is as good as felt, and of coarse it doesn't carry aquatic hitch hikers from stream to stream, but that's another topic.
    Salmo doesn't fish up there in Winter. I hate the cold! I do my fair share of fishing here around home, but I know when I get cold or wet I'm 2 minutes from home!

Lyrical
    johnnyb
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 132
    RE: are wader boot cleats mandatory 2009/09/21 07:51:40 (permalink)
    I've always worn cleats summer or winter just gives me better footing and a feeling of security. as for the felt bottoms everybody has their own opinion! personally i like the felt, in winter I spray the bottoms with Pam cooking spray it does keep the snow at a minimal! I recently purchased The simms Extreme waders and installed their own cleats which i believe are carbide? i liked them so much that I boought the replacement screws and changed out the cleats on my Chotas! Before installing them put a dab of aqua seal around the threads< keeps em in alot longer! 
    metalslayer
    Expert Angler
    RE: are wader boot cleats mandatory 2009/09/21 21:49:16 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: jrb327

installed their own cleats which i believe are carbide? i liked them so much that I boought the replacement screws and changed out the cleats on my Chotas! 
    The gold ice racing screws are the same for ALOT less $'s----around $18-20 for 250

pafisher
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3000
    RE: are wader boot cleats mandatory 2009/09/22 00:08:47 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: metalslayer

ORIGINAL: jrb327

installed their own cleats which i believe are carbide? i liked them so much that I boought the replacement screws and changed out the cleats on my Chotas! 
    The gold ice racing screws are the same for ALOT less $'s----around $18-20 for 250

What are those and where do you get them?
    2Bonthewater
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 651
    RE: are wader boot cleats mandatory 2009/09/22 00:46:20 (permalink)
    I bought a pair of Simms wading shoes with rubber sole and spikes.........Nice and grippy....they work great in Erie and Pulaski

www.2bonthewater.com
    metalslayer
    Expert Angler
    RE: are wader boot cleats mandatory 2009/09/22 05:56:30 (permalink)
    Google gold ice screws---they are made to screw into tires of motorcycles that race on the ice---exactly the same as the chota screws, but w/ a lil taller head--and ALOT more durable---You want the 7/16 size--I was lucky and had a shop 2mi from my house that had em.

dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3207
    RE: are wader boot cleats mandatory 2009/09/22 06:46:28 (permalink)
    my brother has the chodas and screwed screws in to the soles.  seems nice, but i willo say, i prefer a tapered spiki head over the bulky head of a screw, especially when on slate.  nothing beats the original korkers from 25 years ago though.
    Jump to: