Fishing a float

Author
Hav2Fish
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 34
  • Reward points: 0
2009/09/15 15:19:22 (permalink)

Fishing a float

There is a spot in the river I like to fish where it seems using a float (bobber, if you will) would be beneficial.  It's close to the same shore I would be fishing from, deep and relatively slow moving compared to the rest of the hole.  Any thoughts on floats and can I fish it with the usual spinning gear.  Also, how do you set it up?  I have visions of pond fishing with hook, split shot and bobber.  Any thoughts?  Thanks.

Hav2Fish  

5 Replies Related Threads

hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6388
    RE: Fishing a float 2009/09/15 19:44:03 (permalink)
    You can use a spinning rod (I always do) the key is a longer rod is best keeping your line off the water as much as possible for a drag free float. If you are looking at a long drift then you can turn off the anti-reverse and back reel line or second option is to open the bail and gently controll a free spool.
    You want your float upright and not your line ahead of the float or drag and float skittering back toward the rod.

As for floats themselves. Again 2 options. Fixed or sliding.
    A fixed float will be limited to the length of the rod (in general) If your rod is 8' your max depth will be as such. A sliding float is what ever you wish with a bobber stop setting the depth.
    For most sections on the SR a fixed float works fine.
    I use Blackbird fixed floats and stager your weight starting 18" from hook with smallest weight up to 4' with largest weight.
    It's pretty simple,run your line through the plastic tube (holder) then through hole in the bottom of float and set it (slide plastic tube on float pinching your line) at the depth you feel necessary. Add small shot 18" from hook and stagger your shot about every 3>4" up to 4' from hook. Use just enough weight to keep the float upright and enough to keep your bait down. too little weight and your float will point toward your rod, too much and your float will sink or point down stream.

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen
    oldcanepole
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 17
    RE: Fishing a float 2009/09/15 22:13:08 (permalink)
    go here. check out the shot patterns link http://www.raventackle.com/float_rods.htm
    It's for float/cp fishing but the set up works well on a spin setup.
    dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3207
    RE: Fishing a float 2009/09/16 06:43:15 (permalink)
    hot tuna got hte right idea.  i use floats on regular spinning gear as well.  i cast upstream a little and then open the bail when it goes down. it works fine for me.  just make sure your slack line doesn't belly up or it will pull your bobber which will in turn pull your bait or fly and make it look less natural.  also, when using sacks, especially in cold winter months, don't set the hook right away.  let that bobber go down for a second or two, and then set.  remember though it's all in how agressive the fish are.  if they're aggressive, they'll have it swallowed before you can even think about setting, but when they are lothargic, give them some time.  in february last year i had a day where i'd start to see my bobber slowly move to the side or upstrea, and then slowly go down.  i kept missing them, but after my third take, i had it.  i had to let them take it longer.  just figured i'd let you know.  fishing is never the same.  you always have to adapt from one day or one spot to the next... fish on...
    waDerboy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1910
    RE: Fishing a float 2009/09/16 08:19:04 (permalink)
    Reel up any slack line before setting the hook.
    10pts
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 82
    RE: Fishing a float 2009/09/16 08:26:33 (permalink)
    How do you FLOSS Kings using a float? 
    Jump to: