Spinning Setup for River Fishing - Need Advise

Author
Shaggy
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 7
  • Reward points: 0
2009/09/14 22:50:55 (permalink)

Spinning Setup for River Fishing - Need Advise

I haven't fished the Salmon River in years and am planning to give it a shot in the next couple of weeks.  I'm planning to take both my fly rod and a spinning rod and have a couple of questions...

• Fly rod: I have a 9 ft Sage in 8 weight with a Lamson reel from years ago.  What kind of fly line and tippet/leader do you recommend?
  • Spinning rod:  I'm planning to take either a 7' medium or 7' medium-heavy St. Croix spinning reel with either a Stradic 3000 or 4000 reel.  Any recommendations?  Also, what line would you put on the reel?  Mono or braid?

I realize that a longer spinning rod (8'6") would be preferred but I don't want to but a new rod for this one trip.

Thanks!!!

2 Replies Related Threads

EagleCrg
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 160
    RE: Spinning Setup for River Fishing - Need Advise 2009/09/15 08:13:10 (permalink)
    Shaggy: 

Your flyrod setup is fine.  Some would go with a 9 or 10 weight for kings, but I like the 8 weight.  Buy a weight forward floating line--a cheap one is fine as the rocks in the river will tear them up relatively quickly so don't waste your money.  Make sure you have plenty of backing.  Not sure what reel you have but it must have a very good drag.  I generally use a 10 or 12 lb tippet, but you will find some that will go lighter.

Your spinning rig will work also.  I would spool with 14 lb test mono and buy lighter (8, 10, 12) lb floro for leader.  Stick with monofilament main line--its been my experience that the rocks cut the braid alot quicker than mono.  You'll likely get some variations in the recommendations here, due to personal preference, fishing style.  Have fun!
    pafisher
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3000
    RE: Spinning Setup for River Fishing - Need Advise 2009/09/15 21:01:30 (permalink)
    What eagle said....would add that I find it best to use a small barrel swivel to attach the tippet to main line,tippet length about 3-4 ft,add any weight to a dropper off the swivel,if weight hangs up you pull it off without losing rest of rig(usually).Don't use too much weight,just enough to tick the bottom a couple times during your drift.
    Jump to: