Id love to fish the salmon river area but no one to fish with, not sure where to stay on the cheap!

Author
silverman47
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 54
  • Reward points: 0
2009/09/11 21:15:45 (permalink)

Id love to fish the salmon river area but no one to fish with, not sure where to stay on the cheap!

This is a trip I have been wanting to make for years, but believe it or not everyone I ask doesn't want to go. I work all weekends and have weekdays off. I have a 7/8 st croix, and what looks to be a fairly heavy walleye rod. Id like to come up tues through friday, prbabally 6 hr drive each way, I usually fish the erie tribs for steel. I don't care wear I stay as long as the place is reasonabably priced. I though about just flipping the the one back seat down, and extending my legs into the trunk, but eventually need a shower. I guess I could try western ontario tribs but the salmon get pretty stale quick, lethargic. I think I would fair better with fresh fish coming in.

Any help is appreciated
post edited by silverman47 - 2009/09/11 21:17:03

11 Replies Related Threads

Wisdom
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 374
    RE: Id love to fish the salmon river area but no one to fish with, not sure where to stay 2009/09/11 21:45:35 (permalink)
    Selkirk Shores State Park $19 a night I think it is $25 if you want power. Clean showers and bathrooms it is on Lake Ontario just down the road to Pulaski and the Salmon River.
                 Tight Lines....Cheer

PS here is the campground link...
    http://newyorkstateparks.reserveamerica.com/camping/Selkirk_Shores_State_Park/r/campgroundDetails.do?page=details&contractCode=NY&parkId=82&topTabIndex=CampingSpot
    post edited by Wisdom - 2009/09/11 21:52:48

A Bad Day of Fishing Beats the Hell Out of a Good Day at Work!!! But work ain't to bad either...flyshack.com
    eddie spaghetti
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 40
    RE: Id love to fish the salmon river area but no one to fish with, not sure where to stay 2009/09/11 22:06:09 (permalink)
    Try Feeder Creek Lodge, Pulaski, NY. $35 per night, nice lodge, and very clean.
    salmotrutta
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2132
    RE: Id love to fish the salmon river area but no one to fish with, not sure where to stay 2009/09/12 00:19:24 (permalink)
    It's not as easy as Erie. Very different in the fishing & #'s you should expect to catch. It takes time to learn the SR.
    Just letting you know so you don't get hopes of endless Salmon/Steel in the river. If you hit it right it's overwhelming.
    Hit it wrong (just go when I do) & you're sure to have tough fishing.
    I've finally started to make a little sense of it all after 5 or 6 years. The fish in the upper river are usually do put down by cannonballs hitting the water all around them they refuse to eat/take. Not always the case.
    My best day ever was 9 Salmon landed in an afternoon with a Bunny fly. I had to quit because I blew up my 8 wt. trying to show a Salmon who was boss. I lost. That was in the UFZ in a nice pool. The fish must have blasted through @ night because they were real fresh- looked almost like Big Browns & chased the fly on almost every cast through the pool. It is one of my best fishing memories period.
    Aside from that my best is 3 or 4 in a long day on the river. I should add I don't get up there more than a few times every year & don't consider myself any kind of an expert. I'm just a fly fisherman who likes to fish that big water for big fish when time & money allows.

Anyhow- good luck to ya & hang out with us. It seems we're getting a little group back on this site & that's cool.
    Anything anyone wants to ask or add please post it up. If you aren't a member do us a favor- sign up & join us.
    The only thing that may get guys here (me included) ****ed off is that these fish can't be caught fairly.
    It's the same as fishing anywhere else- not every fish you see is going to take your offering, no matter how much you want it to. Have fun, try not to get frustrated & the fish will come. Maybe not as many as the snaggers rope out by the tail, but it's a much better feeling earning the fish you bring to hand fairly.
    More pics. are a good thing too. Good, bad, fumbles, funny stuff, chicks in skimpy clothing, etc..
    Get on here & Put em up!

Lyrical
    longknife
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 12
    RE: Id love to fish the salmon river area but no one to fish with, not sure where to stay 2009/09/12 14:16:02 (permalink)
    Salmotrutta, Could you tell us how your bunny fly is tied and on what size hook?
    salmotrutta
    Pro Angler
    RE: Id love to fish the salmon river area but no one to fish with, not sure where to stay 2009/09/12 15:12:48 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: longknife

Salmotrutta, Could you tell us how your bunny fly is tied and on what size hook?

Sure. It's tied with low water Salmon hooks, silver or gold wrap around the shank. Orange bunny strip lashed to top & cream bunny strip lashed on bottom. I put a few strands of crystal flash on the sides. I'm sure other people make similar stuff. I was just thinking of orange=eggs & Cream=milt.
    That fly was probably tied on a size 6 or 8. I tie them from 4 to 10 now in any color over white. Simple & effective.
    I'm not on my home machine now. If you like I could put a pic. up manana.

Lyrical
    Hav2Fish
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 34
    RE: Id love to fish the salmon river area but no one to fish with, not sure where to stay 2009/09/12 16:10:13 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: salmotrutta
    Anyhow- good luck to ya & hang out with us. It seems we're getting a little group back on this site & that's cool.
    Anything anyone wants to ask or add please post it up. If you aren't a member do us a favor- sign up & join us.

I'm glad to see some folks getting back to this board as well.  Not so much BS posted here.

We're heading up in exactly 1 week and will be there for 7 glorious days.  I can't wait.  We'll have my friends laptop this year so we might be able to give some daily reports depending in internet access in the area.
    Fish on!!

papinner
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1083
    RE: Id love to fish the salmon river area but no one to fish with, not sure where to stay 2009/09/12 16:55:35 (permalink)
    wow post some good reports I'm heading up in 2 weeks with my brother in law that will return home from iraq on monday we'll be there for the weekend it'll be our first trip to the salmon river but we're fishing with guys that are really familiar with the water. Hopefully we can hook a couple but if not its all good.
    longknife
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 12
    RE: Id love to fish the salmon river area but no one to fish with, not sure where to stay 2009/09/12 17:20:12 (permalink)
    Salmotrutta, Thanks for the recipe.  I'll have to make some of those up for the week of the 19-26th. 
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6388
    RE: Id love to fish the salmon river area but no one to fish with, not sure where to stay 2009/09/12 18:20:19 (permalink)
    not wanting to take away from salmo's tie, this is my bunny fly and work very well.
    tied on a Mustad 36890 size #4 .
    For the body use standard 1/" rabbit strips, Collar is wound crosscut rabbit in a contrasting color. Also you can add a few strands of krystal flash if wanted. Rabbit fur is very water absorbing and gets down well without weight.
    I almost always tie these with a contrast collar. Colors that work well have been the below pic, chartreuse body /black collar. olive body/brown collar , white body/peach collar.

post edited by hot tuna - 2009/09/12 18:21:14

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen
    salmotrutta
    Pro Angler
    RE: Id love to fish the salmon river area but no one to fish with, not sure where to stay 2009/09/12 20:09:24 (permalink)
    Good stuff. Bunny flies have so much movement they are hard to resist. Make some Comets up if you're targeting Kings. I like Orange w/black collar. I even catch local Trout at home with them.

PA- good to hear about your bro.. Home & fishing. Two things that will make him happy for sure!

H2F- yeah- good stuff. My wife bought a lap top recently & it will be going with me when I get up there.

Lyrical
    silverman47
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 54
    RE: Id love to fish the salmon river area but no one to fish with, not sure where to stay 2009/09/12 21:29:06 (permalink)
    Thank you everyone,

My one problem is my boss would crap his pants If I took off more than 4 days, You would think the business could not run without me!!  But on the upside at least I have a job and thats saying something now a days!!!!

Best wishes to great fishing for everyone!!!
    Jump to: