Snowshoe

Author
Cold
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 7358
  • Reward points: 0
2009/09/09 13:28:56 (permalink)

Snowshoe

Anyone have any favorite patterns they tie with snowshoe? I picked up a few feet last weekend and tied a few caddis with it. They look great, so I'm wondering what else I can tie with it. I'm still getting used to working with it, but its not too problematic, and if it floats like they say it does, it might just become my go-to caddis wing material.

3 Replies Related Threads

fishenfool46
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 1000
    RE: Snowshoe 2009/09/09 15:33:35 (permalink)
    cold look along the line of emergers.ff46

I didn't say these are the ten suggestions
    signed God
    steely34
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1280
    RE: Snowshoe 2009/09/09 16:04:19 (permalink)
    Cold, What I've always found is that with snowshoe being somewhat waterproof, you can use this material on any pattern that calls for CDC. Although I like to use CDC, the problem with it is that, even when treated it tends to "slime up" (like the following link states) when you catch a fish with it which for me is cause to change flies. Snowshoe doesn't tend to do that as much. I use it for the post when I tie parachutes and also on many caddis patterns and serendipities. It really is a great material that not many people use with all the fuss about CDC. It's a great material to use on dries. Here's a link with a tutoral: http://www.flyanglersonline.com/features/canada/can257.php  Like FF46 said it also makes a great emerger - floating the fly just right in the film.

"They say you forget your troubles on a trout stream, but that's not quite it..... you begin to see where your troubles fit into the grand scheme of things, and suddenly they're just not such a big deal anymore."

John Gierach

Cold
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 7358
    RE: Snowshoe 2009/09/10 07:23:34 (permalink)
    Thanks guys...last night i didnt tie much, as I'm busy reading through Caddisflies, but I did take a break to try tying one of his emergent sparkle pupa, and used a snowshoe wing. It looks great, imho, we'll see if the fish agree soon enough.
    Jump to: