Boys on Douglaston

Author
straw
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 56
  • Reward points: 0
2009/09/09 12:27:07 (permalink)

Boys on Douglaston

Hello, I will taking my 13 yrs old and 11 yrs old boys to the SR Sept 27-29. Can I take both of my boys to Douglaston? They both have caught salmon [egg sacks]so they are not rookies.
Thanks
Straw

21 Replies Related Threads

Hav2Fish
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 34
    RE: Boys on Douglaston 2009/09/09 14:03:53 (permalink)
    I don't believe there are restrictions on the age or number of people you take to the DSR.
    2Bonthewater
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 651
    RE: Boys on Douglaston 2009/09/09 14:21:39 (permalink)
    bring some cash and show up early !!!

www.2bonthewater.com
    Gottumguide
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 106
    RE: Boys on Douglaston 2009/09/09 14:22:01 (permalink)
    Complimentary passes for children 15 and under when accompanied by an adult.

https://www.secureacc.com/douglastonsalmonrun/default.aspx?PageID=13

Drift boat guiding/chartering the Salmon River/Lake Ontario and since 1990.
    NYS guide lic # 1032
    www.salmonriverguide.com
    2Bonthewater
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 651
    RE: Boys on Douglaston 2009/09/09 14:27:33 (permalink)
    sweet.....bring a little less cash......and show up early !!!

hope you guys have fun

www.2bonthewater.com
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6388
    RE: Boys on Douglaston 2009/09/09 18:16:13 (permalink)
    yes kids 15 & under are free with an adult, it's a great place for them with easy water and less crowding. No need to get there real early, I guide there and never find a need to "run" to the "spot" it's all good water and can be fished well any time of the day. My advice however , avoid the "sucker" holes learn to fish away from people and target your fish.

Have fun !!1

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen
    salmotrutta
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2132
    RE: Boys on Douglaston 2009/09/09 19:43:02 (permalink)
    Where can you "safely" cross the river there & @ what flow? I don't know the place well.

Lyrical
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    RE: Boys on Douglaston 2009/09/09 20:14:41 (permalink)
    At 750 flow (these pics) it is ok for an adult to cross at most sections. A teenager or youngster can also "carefully" cross with help from an adult at some places.

This area is called the flats right below the staircase from behind the pay booth. The dead tree on the far side of the pic is the staircase (parking side). You cross angling upstream to the island where I am taking the pic from. Then at the top of the island you can again cross to the far bank to the other side (non parking lot side)

it's a little swift but fairly easy only knee deep.

Another crossing is just below the glide.. From parking sid to the island and again across these small side channels to the far side.. Again fairly easy crossings.

Down river (dsr) you can cross above the Joss hole to the island fairly easy but from the island to the far bank is more tough and you want to be very careful.

Below the spring hole is another section of flats that are swift but only knee deep in 750 flow and crossing is fairly easy.

As ALWAYS use CAUTION and a wading staff should be used.

in 335 there are plenty of places to cross through out the dsr.
    in above 750 > 1,000 you had better know where you can cross before getting in over your head. Above 1,000 don't put yourself in a bad situation and stay on the right side of the river.
    post edited by hot tuna - 2009/09/09 20:15:18

salmotrutta
    Pro Angler
    RE: Boys on Douglaston 2009/09/09 21:27:08 (permalink)
    Thanks for the info..

Lyrical
    dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3207
    RE: Boys on Douglaston 2009/09/09 22:56:50 (permalink)
    you can cross just above the island upstream from the main stairs.  then cut across on a diagonal to cross the other branch.  great pocket water on the far bank right across from stairs, and most people overlook it.  you don't even have to wade out much.  good luck
    salmotrutta
    Pro Angler
    RE: Boys on Douglaston 2009/09/10 01:10:00 (permalink)
    I've only been there once. I remember crossing just near the stairs & up river at an island. Below that island was a great run for swinging flies. I had a take there & followed the fish down river. I stepped off of a shelf into a hole. I drown my phone when I stumbled a bit.

Just thinking it would be cool to have some good info about where you veterans of the place feel it's safe to cross at.
    That river is scary & needs to be respected. I know crossing @ the upper fly zone gets a little tricky too if you cross @ the path going in from the parking lot. Any better/safer places to cross would be a big help.
    Safety is something that should be brought up more. People die up there in Salmon season. Those river rocks don't make it any easier either.

Lyrical
    straw
    Novice Angler
    RE: Boys on Douglaston 2009/09/10 12:32:15 (permalink)
    Guys thanks for the info. We do a lot of fishing on the Big D and Musky river in jersey so my boys spend time in quick water. It the water is moving fast we will not even cross the river. I would like to fish the Meadows, nice long pool with room to fight a  fish or two.
    Hope to see you guys on the water
    Straw
    dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    RE: Boys on Douglaston 2009/09/10 16:03:49 (permalink)
    yeah salmo, that is a nice spot for swinging right below that island where the two currents meet.  if you ever go down with a fish there, you have to shoot for the far bank(not the staris side). and stay on the bank prettty much.   there are some slate seems throughout there that are pretty nasty.  those seems are great resting spots too.  i actually cross right at the stairs up to 750, but i don't advise it.  by the way, the other side of that island is often overlooked, but it's a great steelhead hole.  you should try it sometime...
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    RE: Boys on Douglaston 2009/09/10 18:43:15 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: dimebrite

yeah salmo, that is a nice spot for swinging right below that island where the two currents meet.  if you ever go down with a fish there, you have to shoot for the far bank(not the staris side). and stay on the bank prettty much.   there are some slate seems throughout there that are pretty nasty.  those seems are great resting spots too.  i actually cross right at the stairs up to 750, but i don't advise it.  by the way, the other side of that island is often overlooked, but it's a great steelhead hole.  you should try it sometime...

How often have you fished there ??
    I would SERIOUSLY advise AGAINST crossing there. that section is between the Wall hole and Sycamore hole. It is probably the most fished area's in the DSR due to close access. I hardly ever fish it, and yes the other side gets it's fair share.
    Again the main run is through the staircase side..

Straw:
    you have your eye on the Meadows , you must already have some intell if you are looking at one of the lowest points of DSR. Good intell indeed but also a very popular section. The Glide is very similar to water type & flow for some reason gets just a tad bit pressure.
    I'll be in DSR at that time and maybe share some water with you guys.
    Enjoy and have a great time with the boys. Please give us a report when you return.

salmotrutta
    Pro Angler
    RE: Boys on Douglaston 2009/09/10 18:47:21 (permalink)
    Yeah- I stepped off a slate shelf. I lost the fish too. Haha. I gotta do some exploring if $ permits this year.
    It's so difficult to get a take up river. There seem to be no slow days fisherman wise- during the week even. The fish get hammered & shut down.
    I'm gonna go low this year.
    post edited by salmotrutta - 2009/09/10 18:49:29

Lyrical
    dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    RE: Boys on Douglaston 2009/09/10 21:01:50 (permalink)
    HOT TUNA... the first steelhead i ever landed was in the clay hole when it was a hole back in 1991. i was only 11 years old. back when the meadow had an island in the middle and an old dead willow tree in the middle of it.  and about 2 years after that the island kept getting pushed down stream and evenyually pushed against the bank.  do you remember this?i've been fishing this river for 20 years.  i'm an eight year season pass holder at dsr.  i own 900 ft. of river frontage below the trestle pool on 21 acres.  please don't question my knowledge and abilities. i will assume that neither of us wil question each others knowledge from here on.  if i could say my best two days on that river, i would say they were both in the joss hole.  in 1992 in december, me my father and brother hit a pod of steelhead that was like a small run of salmon.  all day til almost sun down steelhead all day.  in 1998 i hit a run of kings the third weekend in august thicker than any i've seen. and trust me, i've been there at the peek of any season.  the only person i ran in to that day in august was george and his 2 daughters.  ask him the next time u see him. no one in sight except for thousands of large kings. the salmon were creating wakes against the current they were running so hard...  and yes, the main run is on the stairs side, but only until the stairs, then there is a channel that shoots across to the other side.  and i find the steelhead especially run the opposit side of the island rather than the willow hole side.  and for just below the stairs being pressured water, you'd be surpised at the water that gets overlooked within that section.  the water on the far side across from the stairs is a main channel.  i kow just because when i fsih right below the stairs on the stairs side, i loose many fish and fly lines across the river from the fish running across in that channel which i know and love.  probably the same that salmo fell in to...  fish on to all... 
    dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    RE: Boys on Douglaston 2009/09/10 21:14:24 (permalink)
    by the way, salmo, let me know know when you're going to be up there in steelhead season, i'll guarantee you some fish...  in afriendly manner, not guiding...  fishing for me is fun, not a buisness...
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    RE: Boys on Douglaston 2009/09/11 08:15:16 (permalink)
    DB, np just asked how well you knew the area thats all.
    yea I do know it pretty well also and fished it even before it was private access, seems before you were born. I'm sure we could sip a few cold ones and share some good stories about the fishery. Since you are a regular there we must cross paths & share water pretty frequent.
    Would be great to meet up and put a little spanking on some fish sometime.
    This week we will be chasing some fall spawners in the ADK's (Salvelinus fontinalis >char) but after that it's all about the GL tribs.
    Peace & Tuna

dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    RE: Boys on Douglaston 2009/09/11 08:21:21 (permalink)
    sounds good man, i'm actually leaving this moning til sunday.  with this weather i have a feeling it's gonna be hot.  i'll let you guys know.  if you fish right above the flats i'll see you some time or another. i often land fish down there after i've chased them for 150 - 200 yards.  fish on...
    straw
    Novice Angler
    RE: Boys on Douglaston 2009/09/11 09:25:32 (permalink)
    Guys, One more thing.  I have my boys use egg sacs.  What other tackle could my boys try? When I hook up on my fly rod the boys have fun bringing the fish in.  Last year above Pineville my 10 year old landed a 20 lbs king on 15 test, that took 40 min. to bring in. The great part was a fishing guide stopped and got out to help me land it. His two clients helped my boy work the fish.  That was cool. 
    Thanks again
    Straw
    dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    RE: Boys on Douglaston 2009/09/11 10:29:07 (permalink)
    yarn flies, estaz flies and bushy streamers.  i fish the lower river so bright yarn works good for me.  as they get up the river, they start to get line shy and hip to the common patterns. good luck
    salmotrutta
    Pro Angler
    RE: Boys on Douglaston 2009/09/11 14:03:25 (permalink)
    Comets won my heart over long ago.

Thanks for the offer. I too fish for fun. I show lots of people my home waters too.

Lyrical
    Jump to: