looking for a charter in florida or a friend to fish

Author
leadmen
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1001
  • Reward points: 0
2009/09/08 12:38:56 (permalink)

looking for a charter in florida or a friend to fish

im going down to florida in apr to sanibel in florida and looking to hook on on some fish any help?? thanks for the come back

3 Replies Related Threads

Neversink Jimmy
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 798
    RE: looking for a charter in florida or a friend to fish 2009/09/09 15:25:15 (permalink)
    I am not sure where you are planning to fish exactly (Captiva Pass right next to Sanibel holds nice snook and reds) but if you are up for a one-hour drive to the Everglades you won't be disappointed.

Best fishing in SW Florida is out of Everglades City/Chokoloskee, right on the boundary of the 1,500,000 acre Everglades National Park.  The 10,000 Islands Region is amazing- tons of wildlife, good snook/reds/tarpon and all the other normal 'cast of characters' in terms of gamefish...  Permit, Pompano, Sea Trout, Jacks, Sharks, etc.

Capt Gary Thompson or his son Corey are probably the best in the business in that part of the state.  Third-generation fishing guides with a pretty insane knowledge of the 'backcountry' and all kinds of snook knowlege.

I am sure you can find them online and I guarentee you will love Everglades City...

It's basically the complete opposite of Sanibel/Captiva/Naples/Marco Island but right down the road...

Good luck down there!!!

leadmen
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1001
    RE: looking for a charter in florida or a friend to fish 2009/09/10 06:25:26 (permalink)
    thanks id like to find a tarpon so we can beat on each other then let him go and would love some fresh mahee im not takin my gear it set up for salmon but i hear if i want scrap dont bring it
    Neversink Jimmy
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 798
    RE: looking for a charter in florida or a friend to fish 2009/09/10 16:16:11 (permalink)
    You really don't need ridiculously heavy stuff in most sitations on the main Gulf Coast down there...  But once you get into the 10,000 Islands and Everglades Nat'l Park wilderness you will need something with a 'backbone' to turn the bigger Snook and 'Poons to keep them out of the mangroves...

A typical Medium-action rod will suffice for snook, smaller Tarpon (averaging 20-40lbs),and (most) redfish....

A medium-heavy will do it for bigger 'Poons, but they will be tougher to find in Sanibel in April...  The bigger fish will still be moving somewhere between Key West and Naples around then. 

May brings all the big "Silver Kings" to Boca Grande Pass, not too far away...  That's when the 200lb monsters seem to appear out of nowhere!

But you can catch smaller (15-45lb) tarpin year-round in Everglades City or Flamingo (southern tip of the state) or the Keys!  Any bridge in the middle or lower Keys will have nive tarpon sitting under each pylon all winter.

Those fish are awesome man!  If you think Steelhead are fun, wait till you see a "baby" tarpon go bonkers!

They are an absolute blast- but they are humbling too...

Good luck!

Jump to: