Natural Bend Hooks!

Author
flyfisherman22
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 273
  • Reward points: 0
2009/09/08 01:01:31 (permalink)

Natural Bend Hooks!

hey guys, i recently bought some Natural Bend Hooks, and ive tied some pheasant tail and hares ear nymphs, but im curious to know if there is also certain flies that should be tied with these hooks. ive personally never seen any of these hooks used, but anadromous turned me onto them this summer and i like them so far, but looking for some ideas as to what flies are recommended for this hook only. thanks in advance

For the supreme test of a fisherman is not how many fish he has caught, not even how he has caught them, but what he has caught when he has caught no fish."
~ John H. Bradley

6 Replies Related Threads

pxatim
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4786
    RE: Natural Bend Hooks! 2009/09/08 05:41:20 (permalink)
    I believe they are to help give flies a more natural look... like nymphs, hoppers, stimulators, caddis etc
    steely34
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1280
    RE: Natural Bend Hooks! 2009/09/08 06:38:58 (permalink)
    I think the natural bend hooks give a great look to nymphs. I believe you may be talking about the Dai-Riki 270 hook. Orvis also makes what they call the "swimming nymph hook - http://www.orvis.com/store/productchoice.aspx?pf_id=1512   Before you go out and buy these though try making your own. Funny you should mention them as I've tied the hex nymph (makes for a great looking hex) on these before but I've also added a second or even third bend to the hook myself by manually bending the hook just slightly to the left or right/ up or down when it's in the vice. To do this though make sure that the part of the hook where you want to make the bend is the part that's in the vice, not the point/barb or else the hook will "twist" at that point. Makes for a real nice look to the finished fly. The Dai-Riki 270 is a good one to do this with. It's tough to do with a heavy shanked hook though - you may put too much pressure on your vise and damage it. That's why the 270 is a good hook to do this with. Make sure you don't put too strong of a bend down or you take away the hook gap. Also don't make too strong or sharp of a bend or it will most likely weakend the hook although  I've never had one break on me. Here's some pics - hope this helps:

1. Put hook in the vice where you want to make the bend.

2. Push out, in, up, or down depending on how you want to make the bend. - Finished home made natural bend hook.

"They say you forget your troubles on a trout stream, but that's not quite it..... you begin to see where your troubles fit into the grand scheme of things, and suddenly they're just not such a big deal anymore."

John Gierach

Cold
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 7358
    RE: Natural Bend Hooks! 2009/09/08 07:17:36 (permalink)
    I like tying stoneflies on them, and before next season, I want to develop a good isonychia nymph that I suspect will be tied on them.
    flyfisherman22
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 273
    RE: Natural Bend Hooks! 2009/09/08 13:17:44 (permalink)
    thanks alot guys, i will try to bend some like that. ya they PT's and HE's have turned out great and definitly look edible ;)... i will def give some of them a try, i want to tie a basic stone with them, think it would be a good pattern for steelies and trout

For the supreme test of a fisherman is not how many fish he has caught, not even how he has caught them, but what he has caught when he has caught no fish."
    ~ John H. Bradley
    steely34
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1280
    RE: Natural Bend Hooks! 2009/09/09 16:28:56 (permalink)
    FFMan22 - Thought while I was tying this morning, I'd "bend" one up for ya. Here's a woven black hex nymph on a hook I bent in the vise.

"They say you forget your troubles on a trout stream, but that's not quite it..... you begin to see where your troubles fit into the grand scheme of things, and suddenly they're just not such a big deal anymore."

John Gierach

DJ2007
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 523
    RE: Natural Bend Hooks! 2009/09/09 18:26:09 (permalink)
    Stimulators do good on those
    Jump to: