Catfish love the Pilsbury DoughBoy

Author
John68
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 16
  • Reward points: 0
2009/08/30 06:18:31 (permalink)

Catfish love the Pilsbury DoughBoy

Going out for catfish at Cross Creek. I'm going to take the Pilsbury Doughboy wth me.  Not literally...   Those cans of Pilsbury bread dough make excellent catfish bait.  I usually buy them a few days ahead and pop them open, and let them sit at room temp for 2 days. They start to get a really sour smell to them.  Make sure you pop the can open before letting it sit out. Otherwise, you'll be reading a book or quietly on the computer, and without warning, the can will explode, and you'll have to change your underwear and take more valium.

It sticks to hooks really well, and because of the oil, holds up in the water quite well. I learned this back in the 80's when a boyscout, at Heritage Reservation's Lake Courage.

Not sure if this is potroast or not, but figured I would post and see if anyone else has ever tried the uncooked dough before, or knew of something that worked better.
post edited by John68 - 2009/08/30 06:20:32

8 Replies Related Threads

hiclassHilbilly
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1052
    RE: Catfish love the Pilsbury DoughBoy 2009/08/30 16:46:06 (permalink)
    you are going to have to exceed 10 bullheads in 2 hours for me to try anything but chicken liver. 

"A Homewood man led police on an hourlong car chase that ended with a crash injuring three officers.

"The car was driving itself," Wright said. "The car has a GPS. It's a Lincoln Navigator. They drive themselves. I wasn't running nowhere."
    mr.crappie
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2549
    RE: Catfish love the Pilsbury DoughBoy 2009/08/30 22:25:22 (permalink)
    How about 7 channels 12-26" plus a few misses in 3 hrs. tonite on smashed shiners?  sam
    hiclassHilbilly
    Pro Angler
    RE: Catfish love the Pilsbury DoughBoy 2009/08/30 22:40:43 (permalink)
    hmmm that was about what I caught the last time I was out in channel cat water.  7 fish in 3 hrs.  Nothing quite as big as 26" though. 

"A Homewood man led police on an hourlong car chase that ended with a crash injuring three officers.

"The car was driving itself," Wright said. "The car has a GPS. It's a Lincoln Navigator. They drive themselves. I wasn't running nowhere."
    KMP
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 439
    RE: Catfish love the Pilsbury DoughBoy 2009/08/31 00:17:26 (permalink)
    Man you guys can find em. I use the big baits for channels. May only get one or two but all are HUGE that way. HAd one snap my 50 pound braid at walnut last night (went last night and fished steelies in the morning) and got a small one as well. Used crawlers near the marina, just to much crap coming in off the lake because of strong winds
    John68
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 16
    RE: Catfish love the Pilsbury DoughBoy 2009/08/31 02:30:02 (permalink)
    Cross Creek was a bad idea for fishing today.  There must have been 40 empty boat trailers in the parking lot. They have the lake drained down 3 or 4 feet, and the water was mirky gray, with less than 6 inches of visability.  I suspect that the wakes and the trolling and engines had everything all stirred up.  I forgot the bread dough at home.  Had some shad blood flavored catfish bait in the tackle box, but in 4 hours, not one bite. I was fishing in a cove that probably had shallow water with the draindown, and just in the time I was fishing, 2 boats trolled into the cove, and and stirred it up more mirky water, coming too close to the shore.   I would say that I should have been fishing in a much deeper part of the lake.

I haven't fished for catfish in a few years, and honestly, just sitting there, staring at the rod was too much to handle.   I'm used to fishing for bass, and constantly casting or retrieving.  I did cast for bass for several hours and didn't get a bite.  I did manage to snag about 5 or 6 little sunfish with a slice of balogna, fishing 3 feet offshore. (That is the epitome of boredom)

Looks like I am back to fishing for bass! 

HillBilly,
    I always hear people raving about the chicken livers.  I must say, I have never tried it, but will definitely give it a try.  Thanks
    mr.crappie
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2549
    RE: Catfish love the Pilsbury DoughBoy 2009/08/31 06:28:26 (permalink)
    Kmp,If you are snapping 50# braid you may want to lighten your drag a click or 2.  sam  ps  john, I have caught many channels on jigs , a buddy of mine caught 2 over 24" last week trolling plugs. They will hit lures if you stick with it.  sam
    '
    post edited by mr.crappie - 2009/08/31 06:33:47
    DaFuNK
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1992
    RE: Catfish love the Pilsbury DoughBoy 2009/08/31 08:25:12 (permalink)
    nothin beats chicken livers.. tie one up in some netting like you would an egg-sac.

every cat within 100 yards can smell that baby nearly as soon as it hits the water.

they just cannot resist...

Wegmans, Quality, Tops, Giant Eagle.. they all sell tubs for a little under $2
    hiclassHilbilly
    Pro Angler
    RE: Catfish love the Pilsbury DoughBoy 2009/08/31 08:38:22 (permalink)
    IF you get livers, make SURE you get the ones in the tub, not on the tray with the absorbant mat.  YOu need to have blood with it.

KMP,

We are getting big numbers b/c we are river fishing.  There are  better fish densities and scent trails in the rivers.  My best nights, with 2 rods and livers, I have a fish on either or both rods at all times.  It is frantic!!!!   

Jump to: