Opinions: Chest Packs

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
indsguiz
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 6354
  • Reward points: 0
RE: Opinions: Chest Packs 2009/08/27 12:17:18 (permalink)
I like the packs but when you're as fat as me the "chest" part rides up on the belly and sometimes almost winds up being a throat pack.  Gander has a good one that has a fanny pack of sorts that has a water bottle built in and it's pretty good.  I'll probably keep a vest though.  I'm a gear hog, and I always carry way too much stuff.  Like everyone needs to carry 10 fly boxes down to the stream. 6 spare leaders, 4 rolls of tippett, a roll of #8 fluro for steelhead tippett, flashlight, tape measure, multitool, stringer (2), snelled hooks, snapswivels, regular swivels, at least 2 pound of small split shot, flyrod lures, extra reel, rod tip repair kit, lighter, matches, towel, net, two retractors with nippers, forecepts (2), hook file, two jars of single eggs, a container of waxies or two,floats, strike indicators, tippett wrench, extra long leaders with #12 hooks already snelled on, emergency plastic poncho, and at least three diet cokes.

Illegitimis Non carborundum
dru2112
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2265
RE: Opinions: Chest Packs 2009/08/27 12:19:41 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: indsguiz

I like the packs but when you're as fat as me the "chest" part rides up on the belly and sometimes almost winds up being a throat pack.  Gander has a good one that has a fanny pack of sorts that has a water bottle built in and it's pretty good.  I'll probably keep a vest though.  I'm a gear hog, and I always carry way too much stuff.  Like everyone needs to carry 10 fly boxes down to the stream. 6 spare leaders, 4 rolls of tippett, a roll of #8 fluro for steelhead tippett, flashlight, tape measure, multitool, stringer (2), snelled hooks, snapswivels, regular swivels, at least 2 pound of small split shot, flyrod lures, extra reel, rod tip repair kit, lighter, matches, towel, net, two retractors with nippers, forecepts (2), hook file, two jars of single eggs, a container of waxies or two,floats, strike indicators, tippett wrench, extra long leaders with #12 hooks already snelled on, emergency plastic poncho, and at least three diet cokes.

might as well throw at 50 inch flat screen HDTV in there as well...
Stillhead
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1887
RE: Opinions: Chest Packs 2009/08/27 12:40:39 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: indsguiz

yeah, that's just the stuff I keep in the smaller pocket in the back of my pack, along with the digital scale and a few other things. All the junk I use most is in the front pack, and all the junk I rarely use is in the big pocket in the back.

post edited by Stillhead - 2009/08/27 12:41:03
indsguiz
Pro Angler
RE: Opinions: Chest Packs 2009/08/27 13:28:02 (permalink)
Anadromous,
     What we need to do is go Really "old school"  hobnail boots, bamboo rods, silk lines, gut leaders, felt fedora, wading coat, and waxed or oiled trousers with suspenders, oh yea, tucked into wool socks.  Don't forget the tie, or even better a bow tie.   And a small silver flask with irish whiskey in it.

D-nymph
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 6701
RE: Opinions: Chest Packs 2009/08/27 14:05:21 (permalink)
Haha, indsguiz, that's a quality picture you painted, to be sure.

ORIGINAL: anadromous

I could pull that off...save but the Irish whiskey, I'll take a bottle of Lagavulin Scotch (16 to 18 yr)Thank you.

Could?

I hope you do, and with regularity on certain chalk streams. 

indsguiz
Pro Angler
RE: Opinions: Chest Packs 2009/08/27 14:10:19 (permalink)
When I was much younger I did it on a central PA stream while fishing with my buddy.  Dang near froze my feet off.  They didn't have waders or good rubber boots back then.  And believe me I got some looks and had a few pictures taken of me.  It was Spring Creek, around 1974.  Te old gear wouldn't even fit me anymore, and I think it's all been thrown out or lost with the exception of the rod & reel.

Cold
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 7358
RE: Opinions: Chest Packs 2009/08/27 14:16:40 (permalink)
Dang near froze my feet off.

That's what the whisky's for.
Deadbolt401
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3029
RE: Opinions: Chest Packs 2009/08/27 18:33:46 (permalink)
Honestly, I used a chest pack and it sucked. Too bulky, I felt like a turtle.

I've since switched to small pack around my waist and a bookbag on my back, (it's camo, so i look kewl) More room.
I can fish on the move, and when I stop at a hole or riffle I wanna work, I drop the backpack on the shore and I'm on my way.

I'd seriously advise this, because most Chest packs, unless expensive are annoying, Zippers, bulkiness. But If you wear one, you sure do look cool as hell so. It's up to you.

I picked up a 3 compartment Backpack at American Eagle for 20 bucks last fall so.
mikeg
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2533
RE: Opinions: Chest Packs 2009/08/27 20:52:37 (permalink)
Ive been using a chest pack for the last 4 years. The only bad thing I found, but got use to, was it kind of gets in the way when you plant your rod into your chest/stomach while fight a fish. Other than that I like them!

For my fishing reports, product reviews, stories, and other nonsense...
http://bassjunky76.blogspot.com/
Cold
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 7358
RE: Opinions: Chest Packs 2009/08/27 21:33:14 (permalink)
Ive since switched to small pack around my waist and a bookbag on my back, (it's camo, so i look kewl)

Spoken like a true yinzer.

Thanks for all the opinions, issues, suggestions, etc., guys! It's very helpful, keep it coming!
JM2
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1089
RE: Opinions: Chest Packs 2009/08/28 00:39:57 (permalink)
For the last few years, I've also been using a fanny pack for my fly tackle, water bottle, and camera. For longer periods on the water, I'll add a day pack for more storage, for such things as a jacket or lunch.
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to: