Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Cold
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 7358
  • Reward points: 0
2009/08/26 14:19:51 (permalink)

Opinions: Chest Packs

Who uses them? How do you like them? What are the advantages?

I've been using a vest for a long time, and I've been happy with it, but recently I've seen a few chest packs that look pretty nice, and manage to combine lots of storage with relatively little bulk. Before these, I'd only ever seen chest packs that looked like a full backpack worn backwards, or something the size of a VHS tape, designed to basically hang from a strap around the neck. Mind you, I hadn't paid much attention to them, but it seemed like the majority of them were either too light or too heavy for every day fishing.

Now, I'm seeing more mid-sized packs (probably were there all the time, I just never noticed), that combine the fly gear storage of a small, light vest all compacted in the front, and a small day-pack style set of compartments in the back. This seems like it would be ideal for longer days of fishing, where you wont be back to the car till dusk. Am I on the right track?

Also, what are some of the features you look for as key deal makers/breakers in a chest pack?

Looking forward to hearing from the chest pack users!

40 Replies Related Threads

dru2112
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2265
    RE: Opinions: Chest Packs 2009/08/26 14:29:01 (permalink)
    i've owned my fair share of chest packs....

i currently have a william josepsh equinox, it's nice to wear if your gonna be out all day on the stream.  plus it's light as sh*t, and stores a sh*t load of stuff.

what features do i look for in a chest pack?  1.  it looks good.  2.  has enough room and is light, not a burden on my shoulders all day

willy joe also makes a lot of other nice chest packs too.  i know mr. loomis has a pretty nice willy joe one as well.
    Esox_Hunter
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2393
    RE: Opinions: Chest Packs 2009/08/26 14:39:15 (permalink)
    Here is the one I rock: http://www.riverbum.com/William-Joseph-Confluence/

The biggest advantage to wearing a chest pack for me is that it immensely helps organizing essentials.  Everything is always right at my fingertips, no more ripping through 20 pockets in a vest to find things.  I feel that it makes me more efficient on the stream. 

The smaller front pouch in the one above has a tippet dispenser to hold 3 spools, and adequate room to store shot and indicators.  The larger front pouch holds one or two medium C&F bocks and has a removable flip down foam fly tray.  Also, it has 2 built in retractors for clippers and hemos along with space to hold leader grease and fly drying substances.  The back pouch allows me to throw in a couple extra fly boxes, and whatever else extra gear I need(or think I may need).
    Loomis
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2674
    RE: Opinions: Chest Packs 2009/08/26 15:01:43 (permalink)

This is pack I bought three years ago, I like it for certain things, hate it for others.  Like any piece of equipment, It has its up's and downs.

-It's roomy.  I can literally fit every gadget that I wont end up using ever in one of the billion compartments, and the backpack makes it nice to shed layers or carry food, or any other big items.  It is completely waterproof, so if u take a digger (which I do all the time) your extra things stay dry, if you carry a camera this is a nice feature.

-It has a pretty ergonomic design to it and is well made.  William Joseph collaborated with a mountain backpack company to design their bags, lots of technical features and very easy on the back area below the neck that begins to burn after having things hang on you, does that make sense?

-It has a nice metal brace with stiff mesh backing that keeps the pack off of your back a little bit, it makes it nice to evenly distribute the weight and keep the drag off of your shoulders, also nice when hiking. 

-Despite how big it looks, its actually pretty slim.  Makes brush travel pretty easy. 

-It's cool looking.  Not that I care about a fashion statement per se, but lets face it, their stuff is pretty gnarly and modern looking.

Dislikes:

-Zippers.  Wow, these things can get me real mad on a stream.  They make them with magnetic clip pockets now, but mine has zippers, 2 of them.  For one, tippet gets zipped in them and frayed, or stuck where the zipper handle is attached to, that little thingy is a real annoyance.  It's hard to reach for them when they are at the lowest point, trying to hold a fly rod, a shot dispenser and digging for that sucker spawn you know you have in that one pocket.  Now you gotta reach across your body and look like the kid you made fun of when you asked him if he could bite his ear on the school bus; Karma is a mother.

-Stuffed Pockets.  How much is too much?  If you have three fly boxes in each of the three compartments they better be pretty slim profiled, good luck stuffing three morells or god forbid 2 scientific angler plastic boxes, they are a real task to get out.  Also, small stuff can get buried underneath in there, and has potential to fall out because you have to open it the entire way and it folds out to a workstation, you gotta be careful.

-Bulk.  I know I said that it was spacious, and roomy, but only in certain situations.  If you are fishing on a cold day, you are gonna need to bundle up.  I'm a big dude, so this thing gets about skin tight when im all eskimoed, and forget the ergonomics.  Sometimes i just lay it on the bank because I can't take the shoulder/back fatigue.

-High sticking.  This thing will get in your way like mad.  The two big compartments on the front kind of rest on your chest, limiting your range of motion.  It gets old pretty darn fast.

-Friends.  I have no problem helping someone out.  But picture this.  Its 30 degrees in the Am and warming up to 50.  Your friend gets hot.  He has a sweatshirt to take off and nowhere to put it.  Then he wants his SLR Camera to not get wet.  Then he breaks his tippet, since your bag is so big, you gotta have an extra spool, your only 50 yards downstream, so you can meet him half way for 20 inches of tippet.....I think you can see where im going with this....

I think all chest packs have the same purpose, but for all intents and purposes, I can't recommend the Willy J escape to anyone....

I have since scrapped the idea of a chest pack and went bare bones with just the wading jacket...the only case is when I am going to be gone alllll day and fishing somewhere that I need to take a lot of terminal tackle with me, Erie is not one of them.  I can't justify parking at Walnut Creek Marina, putting this thing on looking like i'm about to climb everest, then walking 20 feet to the stop sign hole....but they are nice for certain purposes.
    post edited by Loomis - 2009/08/26 15:06:42
    Loomis
    Pro Angler
    RE: Opinions: Chest Packs 2009/08/26 15:02:55 (permalink)
    the confluence is a good one, my friend has it.  Small, compact, not in the way, and that fly foam patch in the front pocket is awesome!
    razmatazz05
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1856
    RE: Opinions: Chest Packs 2009/08/26 15:28:50 (permalink)
    the one i have is top right picture on this website.  Clear Creek brand.

http://www.redshedflyshop.com/vestchestpacksglovessocks.html

its basic, but gets the job done.  It might not be the best color unless fishing during deer season.

"Good Luck"

Thanks for the usage of your forum. My Money will not go to your tackle shop.
    HCsteel
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 732
    RE: Opinions: Chest Packs 2009/08/26 15:41:24 (permalink)
    Im really considering getting one of these Loon chest packs. They have a retail but are really cheap right now due to a new line coming out. The Riptide looks awesome. I would look at these priducts, for the price you cant beat them. I also looked at he fishpond double haul and it was nice but expensive. http://www.shoploonoutdoors.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=31&products_id=92
    razmatazz05
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1856
    RE: Opinions: Chest Packs 2009/08/26 15:50:31 (permalink)
    HC, that's a really sweet pack.  i am not a fan on hydration packs.  does it say if it's removeable?

"Good Luck"

Thanks for the usage of your forum. My Money will not go to your tackle shop.
    jimhalupka
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1058
    RE: Opinions: Chest Packs 2009/08/26 15:51:07 (permalink)
    I wear a chest pack, but am quite sick of it, even though it, in my eyes, is the perfect size (two compartments in front that fold down into work station/mesh pocket for snuff/backpack feature for water, knife, heavy duty scizzors, tp, and a layer if I need it).  Have switched to the wading jacket now, and love it.

"Sure, we can assiduously three-quarter our wets downstream, mend and wait out each fly swing, over and over again, which to my way of thinking, anyway, relegates the angler to the role, not of nemesis as it should be, but of butler."

-Art Lee
    indsguiz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6354
    RE: Opinions: Chest Packs 2009/08/26 16:19:24 (permalink)
    There will be at least ONE given away at the "One Fly"  probably loaded with gear.  But I'm just guessing.

Illegitimis Non carborundum
    fcflyguy
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 214
    RE: Opinions: Chest Packs 2009/08/26 16:44:18 (permalink)
    Fishpond all the way
    I had some william josph  a couple of models
    I really like fishpond betterI use the waterguide model I wear more like a fanny pack works great I dont like them on the chest (anykind)
    FC

tied to throw not for show
    FiveMilePete
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1131
    RE: Opinions: Chest Packs 2009/08/26 16:44:58 (permalink)
     Be careful laying it on the bank.

That's how mine got stolen, loaded with all my gear, three flyboxes,  tippets,forceps, etc. Not 10 yards from where I was, on a little East side creek.I still get ****ed when I think about all the flies I lost, not to mention the WJ pack, which was a gift from my son.

The WJ brand is quality stuff though. Really liked mine. I had the small one, no back pack. 

fmp

D-nymph
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6701
    RE: Opinions: Chest Packs 2009/08/26 17:22:46 (permalink)
    Chest Packs.

byahn32
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 139
    RE: Opinions: Chest Packs 2009/08/26 18:10:05 (permalink)
    i used to use a vest but i got a chest/backpack.. and ill never switch.. only advantage i couple think of over a vest is the amount of stuff you can pack into them without creating to much forward bulk.. plus a chest pack doesnt get in the way of casting.. i fish all day so i love my chest for holding food and drink
    pxatim
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4786
    RE: Opinions: Chest Packs 2009/08/26 20:18:12 (permalink)
    Best part about chest packs, are some of them have a back pack or mini back pack that you can usually fit 6 beers in.
    jimhalupka
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1058
    RE: Opinions: Chest Packs 2009/08/26 20:20:55 (permalink)
    agreed... or a fifth!

Loomis didn't think I could finish the whole bottle in 6 hrs of erie and he sure was wrong.. the ride home was full of zz's though.

"Sure, we can assiduously three-quarter our wets downstream, mend and wait out each fly swing, over and over again, which to my way of thinking, anyway, relegates the angler to the role, not of nemesis as it should be, but of butler."

-Art Lee
    flyfishermanPA
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1495
    RE: Opinions: Chest Packs 2009/08/26 20:24:28 (permalink)
    Save some $$.. Use a fanny pack.

I'm low on $ (imagine that, no job!) So I had one laying around, and can fit 2 fly boxes, floatant, clippers, tippet, nail knot tool, etc.

It really helps .. And doesn't become cluttered.

besides I'd NEVER wear a vest. They have become to popular, especially when the 1 day of the yearers have 1.
    post edited by flyfishermanPA - 2009/08/26 20:25:31
    deetz4352
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3549
    RE: Opinions: Chest Packs 2009/08/26 20:53:04 (permalink)
    I have one from cabelas i got 4 years ago. A discontinued model got for only $20.00 I can have everything I need in front of me with easy access,and pack a lot of other stuff in the back pack part. I try to make front and back as balanced out as possible. I like it and have no problems fishing with it on all day. If I pack to much weight in the back I can usually get rid of it(drink it,eat it) if I need to. When the water is cold enough you just tie a stinger on to your six pack and good to go. Just dont forget to walk off without it. Someone will be thankfull you did.

The Deetz
    Fishermen are born honest,but they get over it
    anchke
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 157
    RE: Opinions: Chest Packs 2009/08/26 21:27:13 (permalink)
    My wardrobe includes:

Cabela’s “shorty” vest – Has all the pockets I'll ever need ... I usually don’t use everything I packed in the vest while on a typical fishing trip . . . One thing I don’t like about a vest is that it invites overpacking.

Chest pack – Dunno the maker, logo is of a trout leaping through a hula hoop . . . Design is like having one very large breast in the middle of my chest … has multiple zippered pockets, including one that has a gadget for keeping spooled tippet material handy . . has a large pocket for snacks, drinks, xtra fly boxe. . . has a big pocket with a dense foam sheet for flies . . . surprisingly it doesn’t interfere with casting . . . doesn’t have a back, just an adjustable strap over the neck and a buckled belt around the waist ... doesn’t hold as much as the vest, but here's the thing: I tend to use everything I brung while using the chest pack . . . Ingenious as all get out . . . bot on Cabela clearance for dirt cheap.

L.L. Bean gore tex wading jacket – Meant for rainy day use … has a nice hood … pockets allow access under the jacket w/out unzipping it . . . Pockets don’t hold much stuff, but intended to keep the weather off rather than the primary carrier of stuff.

Usually, I use the chest pack on a local trip astream, because I can get everything I need in it. I can wear it over the Bean wading jacket when needed. I’ve also worn the vest over the wading jacket.

For more extended forays I’ll use the vest which does have some advantages in how much can be stuffed into it.

I’d say an important question is, “How much stuff do I really need to carry into the water on any particular fishing trip?”

I was motivated to ponder this Q when a friend of a friend, who was billed as an excellent fly fisherman, showed up for a long afternoon on the water with no waders (just wading boots and nylon pants), a shirt with two double chest pockets (where he kept his plastic fly boxes), a straw cowboy hat with fly holders pinned to it, and his ancient fly rod. I felt distinctly like an over dressed city slicker, especially since he seemed to have a fish on every time I looked his way.

I’m not necessarily saying Mr. Minimalist is always the way to go. But at some point I think the gadgets we bring along get in the way of enjoying the day.

Do you really need a camera? Binoculars? Extra reels? A hook sharpener? A .357?

I keep a plastic tool box in my trunk packed with stuff that may come in handy but there’s no need for immediate access all the time.

Others’ opinions may vary.

P.S. Jeez, Pete. Someone stole your vest right off the river bank?!? Now that’s low. But I know a spot in Maine that got some attention in the mags and on the Web, and the locals, who could eyeball the parking lot from the road, had no problem stealing stuff from the outastatuhs when they had the chance. They figgered it was the price the interlopers should expect to pay. Especially if the outastatuhs were driving shiny furrin SUVs. Even so, it ain’t right.
    Loomis
    Pro Angler
    RE: Opinions: Chest Packs 2009/08/26 22:18:03 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: jimhalupka

agreed... or a fifth!

Loomis didn't think I could finish the whole bottle in 6 hrs of erie and he sure was wrong.. the ride home was full of zz's though.

you definitely bring a new meaning to the word trooper.
    jam91
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 1
    RE: Opinions: Chest Packs 2009/08/26 23:19:27 (permalink)
    Chest pack all the way....I switched over last year picked one up from cabelas on clearance I can pack enough for all day on the water
    Stillhead
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1887
    RE: Opinions: Chest Packs 2009/08/27 00:35:09 (permalink)
    Gander mountain has some cheap packs that hold a ton of junk. Think I paid 30 bucks for it. They just redesigned their pack, not quite as roomy but it seems better built. We'll see, haven't used it yet. The old style I've worn out 2 of them already. But that's because I'm mental and carry enough gear to last a "normal" duud 10 years of fishing.
    Cold
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 7358
    RE: Opinions: Chest Packs 2009/08/27 07:16:25 (permalink)
    I saw the ones at Gander and that's part of what made me reconsider. I dont need top of the line, but I definitely dont want a "neck strap". The designs that fit more like a backpack or vest seem like they might be perfect though. I especially like the gander model because it has a waist belt, which should reduce stress on the arms and shoulders.

The hydration pack sounds like a nice option, though. :)

One big thing, I hope that models I like include rod loops. I have one on my vest. Never thought I'd use it but I love that thing!
    harrypelles
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1007
    RE: Opinions: Chest Packs 2009/08/27 08:14:23 (permalink)
    Good thread. Insightful and educational. I was wondering about them too. Thanks peoples!
    kingnuke32
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1863
    RE: Opinions: Chest Packs 2009/08/27 08:32:01 (permalink)
    I like the vest for erie. I have a nice reddington that suits me well. For trout in the local smaller streams I have a WJ fanny pack type that is pretty comfortable, only downfall is that with that style of pack you cant wade deeper water.
    dru2112
    Pro Angler
    RE: Opinions: Chest Packs 2009/08/27 09:46:07 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: anadromous

Whorvis makes a sling pack that is pretty slick... You don't have the bulk around your chest, it never gets in your way and it is very comfortable.
    http://www.orvis.com/store/product.aspx?pf_id=96Y1

i believe that pack is about 10 dollars cheaper at ligonier outfitters too.  nice pack
    doubletaper
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3977
    RE: Opinions: Chest Packs 2009/08/27 09:56:08 (permalink)
    i have an older 3 in 1 cabalas. the back pack holds my u-float tube with a bunjee net on the back to hold fins and pump. the front chest pack can be used without the back pack or even used as a fanny pack. it has two big compartments with a lot of inside pockets. i don't use it just as a chest pack because i think it would be too cumbersome.
    i thought the reason for vests was to eliminate carrying a tackle box? i don't care to have a tackle box hanging from my chest but that's me.

i do have to admit i like the one loomis pictures with the two pockets in front than a bulky chest pack in the middle. with a straw hat and a wool hat band for drying flies
    doubletaper
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3977
    RE: Opinions: Chest Packs 2009/08/27 10:28:49 (permalink)
    i don't see a pocket for your scotch

i have a small orvis pack for small waters and hatch matching!
    post edited by doubletaper - 2009/08/27 10:29:16

http://streamsidetales.bl...015/05/helles-yea.html
    it's not luck
    if success is consistent 

dru2112
    Pro Angler
    RE: Opinions: Chest Packs 2009/08/27 10:49:29 (permalink)
    yeah...if you want gear storage that you can wear year round and be comfortable, you go wading jacket.
    D-nymph
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6701
    RE: Opinions: Chest Packs 2009/08/27 11:45:00 (permalink)
    Anadromous goes old school stylish.

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to: