Confidence lures

Author
REEL FORCE
  • Total Posts : 552
  • Reward points: 0
2007/08/17 20:29:01 (permalink)

Confidence lures

Just wondering what others confidence lures are out there. For myself, I like to use a Zoom 6in Pumkinseed lizzard weightless or weighted. I have caught bass, pike, and walleye all on the same little lure. Just wondering what lures everyone else turns to just to start out at any given fishing place or location.

7 Replies Related Threads

HookLineSinker
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 322
    RE: Confidence lures 2007/08/17 21:12:15 (permalink)
    When trolling with flatfish, I start off with the "coachdog" and "blue pirate" colors in the F7 size. Rapalas or similar cranks in black and white or perch colors. Spinner and buzz baits in white or chartreuse. Soft swimmies in black and white or glow.

Sorry I didn't call you back Jeff. We've been crazy busy getting ready for our yard sale this weekend.

Anyone interested in a 10" Jiffy power auger?

KayderossZ
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 110
    RE: Confidence lures 2007/08/20 14:11:43 (permalink)
    Lizards are fantastic- my go to rig.  I also like night crawlers trolled slowly on worm harnesses.  For top water I like zoom horny toads fished on the special zoom frog hooks.

hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6388
    RE: Confidence lures 2007/08/20 21:32:15 (permalink)
    when fishing a new and unknown location for warm water i start from the top down trying to catch the agressive fish first

i'll throw a pop-r or zara spook and if it's pike water a buzz or spinner bait
    next i'll work down with a crank bait, i like poe's and mann's baby & deep n's
    finally i'll follow up in rocky sections with a pumpkin gitzit or in weed beds,chestnuts ect. with a charlie brewer slider worm or motor oil 7" worm with a pegged sinker
    pig & jig set up for heavy pad fishing.

really is there just one lure ?  (LOL)

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen
    New York Yank
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 479
    RE: Confidence lures 2007/08/25 22:31:51 (permalink)
    Excellent question...  

If fishing for trout in streams, a gold/black F-11 Rapala is my go-to lure. Even trout not much bigger than the lure can't seem to resist it.
    For walleye, I like worm harnesses with a silver spinner or a Heddon Sonar Flash on occasion.
    For bass, depends on the circumstances but generally wacky-rigged senkos in Grn Pumpkin, Smoke/Purple, or Watermelon have treated me well. Rapala DT divers, and cranks with metal lips have been fruitful also. Pike bite so many things I can't name em all.  

Topwater is an area I have trouble with, not a lot of luck with walking the dog, or buzzbaits, or frogs. When I get a rare hit, I usually miss it. I know I'm supposed to count to three before setting hook but I lose a high percentage of fish.
    Anyone have an idea why, other than I'm a crappy topwater fisherman??
    I have yet to find a topwater method I feel confident with.
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6388
    RE: Confidence lures 2007/08/26 08:16:16 (permalink)

ah, trout:
    go to lure for me is a FJ-7 gold & black it is small, but gives tons of action and does not hang up in shallow streams
    as for ponds and lakes , nothing beats a Lake Clear Wabbler size #1 either rigged w/worm or fly the LC is the ticket

NYY:
    when using a top water , best to use them early & late in the day
    if the sun is high or the water is choppy than they are not very effective.
    cast them out and retrieve the fast, use your rod tip to give lots of action and make commotion
    it's a searching lure that targets aggressive fish
    with a spinner or buzz bait i put a trailer hook on them as the fish seem to short strike them
    as for a pop-r or spook wait until the fish pulls the lure under before giving that Roland Martin hook set
    most times the fish hook themselves
    if a fish misses than keep reeling at same speed or slightly slower but don’t stop
    than cast right back to same place, if then no strike follow up with a crank bait or worm.
    right now the top water & cranks should be the hot baits being there are so many fry shad,herring & stripers in the water (well rivers)

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen
    New York Yank
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 479
    RE: Confidence lures 2007/08/27 16:15:49 (permalink)
    Thanks for the tips Tuna!  I'm definitely going to add a trailer hook to some of these things, I've read that before but never tried it. 
    kukerdan
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 1
    RE: Confidence lures 2007/08/29 14:36:13 (permalink)
    I have caught my biggest Bass on topwater, high noon, with slightly choppy water, on the deep edge
    of a lilly pad patch. I was using a yum buzztoad, and casting at the edge of the lilly's.
    I caught many bass that day using this technique. They would chase it out of the pads and explode
    on the lure when it hit open water.
    I have also had great success in both moonlit, and nearly pitch black nights.
    During these nights, patiently working a nice popper, like a pop-r or the classic hula popper,
    can be extremly fun and produce a lot of big fish.
    My #1 lure for most fishing situations, my Confidence lure, is no doubt the Slug-Go .. White, alwive, and gold-black colors
    have made some fishing trips of mine almost unbelivable, this combined with my other go-to lure, the vibrax spinner,
    have given me 100 fish days.  Other notable mentions should be most slug-go knock offs (my #1 is the floating Z-too, and bas-assasins)
    rapala minnowspin, manns baby 1-, whacky rigged worms (trick worms, jersey riggs, senkos, finesse), chug bugs, spooks/puppys, rapala minnows,
    storm thunder sticks etc.  I should really give the chug bug, and the zara puppy some additional credit (perch/baby bass colors) Have given me
    and my fishing buddies some unforgettable days on the water. For one example, me and my buddy rob found a very weedy shallow cove, luckily we had
    a canoe. We were able to get through all the thick weeds, and on the inside was a decently large stream opening into the lake, which we were eventually able to get a few
    hundred yards up it. We fished the entrance at first, because we had heard tons of fish splashing around there. I should mention this was early spring at the end of a warm day, with the sun setting. We caught back to back to back fish, chug bug vs. zara puppy. We each caught a ton of fish, but I think the chug bug out did me by a few.

Anyway, sorry for ranting but this is my first post, and I really love fishing.

- Dan
    Jump to: