stockies in wild water

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
jimhalupka
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1058
  • Reward points: 0
RE: stockies in wild water 2009/07/29 16:52:21 (permalink)
Don't let Loomis fool you.. I have video evidence this kid tries to pin.

...my slitting technique is a little rusty.  I'm usually too busy shaking my head at fish coming in backwards from SS lining.

"Sure, we can assiduously three-quarter our wets downstream, mend and wait out each fly swing, over and over again, which to my way of thinking, anyway, relegates the angler to the role, not of nemesis as it should be, but of butler."

-Art Lee
nymphus
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 106
RE: stockies in wild water 2009/07/29 17:26:16 (permalink)
I had a similar situation on a tributary of a river I fish in WV.  This particular day
I caught only rainbows and the further upstream I climbed, I then started catching brown trout.  I never hooked up or landed a brookie.  I released all the
fish I caught.  A few days later I fished this trib. again, this time I only caught
brookies and some were nine inches long.  Try fishing that stream again and see
what happens.  I have yet to come to a conclusion as to why this event took place as it did.  But I would be interested in seeing how your next experience on this stream plays out.
post edited by nymphus - 2009/07/29 17:27:17
Loomis
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2674
RE: stockies in wild water 2009/07/30 15:46:18 (permalink)
Ahhhh some rebuttal, okay okay haha....

It's story time kids, and the story of my pinning career.....

Since I was sick of catching so many steel the right way I gave it up to my friend because they felt bad for my arm being so sore.  Since they weren't catching any on the pin due to the low and clear water I had to show them how it was done....Three stupidly placed amateur casts (if u can call it that) yielded a hookup for me, They took notes but still didn't catch anything.....Straining my educated mind as to why anyone would use such a tool in Erie,  I took my fly rod back while my counterparts wondered why they had these contraptions when the water barley wetted their ankles and they could utilize the long jump in gym class to negotiate any stream crossings.  On the ride home they talked wondrous tales of fly rods and numerous hookups for the next outing...

And strangely I recall an incident involving a centerpin, a power worm and a large rainbow....

That will be the next story, if there is a need for it again....

(dude, come on, U cant win!)

I do like to build float rods, just not use 'dem.

post edited by Loomis - 2009/07/30 15:48:30
Loomis
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2674
RE: stockies in wild water 2009/07/30 15:50:43 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: jimhalupka

Don't let Loomis fool you.. I have video evidence this kid tries to pin.

...my slitting technique is a little rusty.  I'm usually too busy shaking my head at fish coming in backwards from SS lining.

You know whats really funny?  A lined fish comes in head first....a snagged one comes in backward...
jimhalupka
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1058
RE: stockies in wild water 2009/07/30 16:38:43 (permalink)
lol

I've seen more fish foul hooked from fly rods then pins... very nice Loomis. I'll get you back

post edited by jimhalupka - 2009/07/30 16:43:17

"Sure, we can assiduously three-quarter our wets downstream, mend and wait out each fly swing, over and over again, which to my way of thinking, anyway, relegates the angler to the role, not of nemesis as it should be, but of butler."

-Art Lee
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to: