Home-tied VS store-bought tapered leaders

Author
harrypelles
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1007
  • Reward points: 0
2009/07/25 21:33:12 (permalink)

Home-tied VS store-bought tapered leaders

Okay guys, not looking to start a fight here (actually maybe a little comic relief)...

I just spent the better half of my evening tying leaders. I bought a bunch of Maxima leader material (from fishusa, thanks!) of a varying scale of diameters.

I thought, this will be cool, save me money, and I'll feel a huge accomplishment. Well, after futzing tonight tying bits of line together with hundreds of knots, I have to say - anyone who ties their own leaders should be revered as "Captain Patience". I was ready to set myself on fire just to get my blood flowing afterword. I can't help it - I will continue spending the $3-$4 on tapered leaders going forward as I simply cannot do it anymore.

That being said...

To others like me who would rather take the insane cost hit on the tapered leaders: Which brands do you prefer? I've been using (wh)Orivs tapered leaders and I can't help thinking that there might be better ones out there. I'm not about to spend $10 on a leader, but maybe $1 or more extra wouldn't sink me. I do preserve my leaders and tie tapers into it when it gets to cutting it short. A 4X tapered leader might last me four or five times out.

So... any thoughts to the preferred brands? Any input that might make me see the tie-your-own leaders in a new light?

Many thanks...

11 Replies Related Threads

KJH807
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4863
    RE: Home-tied VS store-bought tapered leaders 2009/07/25 21:50:11 (permalink)
    rio
    umpqua
    fishenfool46
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 1000
    RE: Home-tied VS store-bought tapered leaders 2009/07/25 21:57:12 (permalink)
    orvis mirage

I didn't say these are the ten suggestions
    signed God
    anchke
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 157
    RE: Home-tied VS store-bought tapered leaders 2009/07/26 21:34:51 (permalink)
    Orvis, mostly.

I've tied leaders and agree with you.

Another option is to buy the Orvis (or whatever) leader, cut it at the end-of-tippet point and tie a perfection loop. Then I just add new tippets using the loop-to-loop handshake. Lots of guys do this.

I've also given up tieing on anything smaller than a #16 while on the stream, and carry small flies pre-tied on tippets with the loop in the other end.
    indsguiz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6356
    RE: Home-tied VS store-bought tapered leaders 2009/07/26 21:58:38 (permalink)
    Harry,
          I just like to tie on a very small swivel, at the break point of the leader, and then add tippett and droppers to the swivel.  Works great for anything but the smallest of dry flies.

Illegitimis Non carborundum
    harrypelles
    Pro Angler
    RE: Home-tied VS store-bought tapered leaders 2009/07/26 23:48:59 (permalink)
    Thanks for all the input guys. I appreciate the comments.

I don't want to come off as anti-knot here , but man, I had to take a break from leader tying so I could observe some grass growing and get some action in my blood.

I usually preserve the tapered leaders. On a 9ft leader, depending on the fishing method, I'll start adding more tipped when the leader gets down a foot or more. As the end approaches, I'll tie step-downs before the tipped. My problem with the leaders lasting isn't from changing or chaffing, but more from idiot casting, wind knots and dumb risks.

I think I'll try either the mirage, rio or umpqua leaders next here to see if I like them any better than the Orvis Super-Strong.

And I want to know why EVERY manufacturer doesn't use the ribbed-fabric-band-with-the-hole-in-it for tippit/leader material. Maxima may be great leader/tippet material (I don't know personally yet), but I simply cannot stand the rubberband-with-a-tumor-on-it mechanism they use on the spool to keep the line on. I think I'll save all my fabric bands when I use up the line and use those for keeping the other stuff "in line."
    harrypelles
    Pro Angler
    RE: Home-tied VS store-bought tapered leaders 2009/07/26 23:50:43 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: indsguiz

Harry,
         I just like to tie on a very small swivel, at the break point of the leader, and then add tippett and droppers to the swivel.  Works great for anything but the smallest of dry flies.

If we could find a way to manufacturer a "floating" barrel swivel, I think we could make ourselves some serious dough. I may try the swivel when using droppers though. Good idea.
    indsguiz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6356
    RE: Home-tied VS store-bought tapered leaders 2009/07/27 00:14:06 (permalink)
    Harry,
      They used to make one made out of high impact plastic.  haven't seen them in years.  Had some durability issues.  Lasted about 1/10th as long as metal, and abraded the line somewhat when old.

Illegitimis Non carborundum
    Cold
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 7358
    RE: Home-tied VS store-bought tapered leaders 2009/07/27 00:44:17 (permalink)
    Jack...those swivels stay afloat with a #12-18 dry? How small does a fly have to be to get yanked under? I have some of those tiny blackbird swivels that might be just the thing to use.
    fishmonger
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 435
    RE: Home-tied VS store-bought tapered leaders 2009/07/27 01:25:11 (permalink)
    Cold,

How are you making out with the furled leaders? my buddy Mike and I are going to whip some up for steelheading on the next rainy day. The light weight ones that we made up earlier this season worked splendidly for fishing dries. Mike is a good carpenter, and he made us a jig that allows us to pump out a furled leader in about 10 minutes.

Fishmonger
    Cold
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 7358
    RE: Home-tied VS store-bought tapered leaders 2009/07/27 07:02:11 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: fishmonger

Cold,

How are you making out with the furled leaders? my buddy Mike and I are going to whip some up for steelheading on the next rainy day. The light weight ones that we made up earlier this season worked splendidly for fishing dries. Mike is a good carpenter, and he made us a jig that allows us to pump out a furled leader in about 10 minutes.

Actually, through some stupidity on my part, I managed to lose mine that I'd been using for months about a week ago. Tried to use a tapered mono leader for a while but it's just not the same. Ended up limiting myself to dries (with a polyleader) until I could get out and buy a few more furled ones. I think I might try making a uni-thread one on my own soon.

I love the furled leaders, and the ones I got were, once again the BlueSky mono furled leaders. I'm going to try dressing one with Mucilin and see how it does long-term for dries. My old one was perfect early on, but it eventually got worn a bit and didnt float as well, even when dressed with floatant. I was using it for nymphs and dries though. I'm thinking if I only use one specific leader for my dries it'll last longer.
    dano
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2987
    RE: Home-tied VS store-bought tapered leaders 2009/07/28 04:53:34 (permalink)
    I tie most of my leaders but this year I ran short of butt material.
    So I tried a few knotless leaders this year.
    The one I liked best was the 12 ft Maxima Chameleon Knotless where i cut it at the .013 mark which is practically half the leader. This gives me a nice stiff butt section. Then I tie up the mid and butt with mono. 
    The others I likes were the Rio for 5 wt and above and Umpqua for 4 wt and below. Umpqua seemed more delicate.
    I use a leader gauge to find where to cut the tippet, usually 20 to 24 inches.
    I tie all my steelhead leaders. Usually 4 sections tapered to 3 or 4X. 
    Jump to: