dry rotting floating line

Author
st. croix
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 37
  • Reward points: 0
2009/07/22 23:41:32 (permalink)

dry rotting floating line

this is my second line in a row that has dry rotted out...this is the first year for the line i have now...do you guys do anything special/clean the line with anything that helps it last longer

Nick

"The fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad"

A.K. Best

8 Replies Related Threads

KJH807
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4863
    RE: dry rotting floating line 2009/07/22 23:49:30 (permalink)
    do you leave it in a hot place? trunk of car?

there are line dressing/cleaning kits
    flyfishindave
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 659
    RE: dry rotting floating line 2009/07/23 06:15:20 (permalink)
    it may be the chemicals in your body my dad could not get any time out of a new line any place his hands handled the line it cracked in about a year   good lines or cheap did not make any difference so he bought cheap lines every year hope this helps
    st. croix
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 37
    RE: dry rotting floating line 2009/07/23 12:40:27 (permalink)
    i keep my reel in a cool dry place....but what i was thinkin was maybe once the line gets wet if i dont dry it off after im done that moisture just sits in there

Nick

"The fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad"

A.K. Best
    Cold
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 7358
    RE: dry rotting floating line 2009/07/23 12:56:11 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: st. croix

i keep my reel in a cool dry place....but what i was thinkin was maybe once the line gets wet if i dont dry it off after im done that moisture just sits in there

Nick

Unless its a silk line, I wouldnt think that'd cause it. I could be wrong though...I just cant see dry rot as a result of moisture.
    harrypelles
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1007
    RE: dry rotting floating line 2009/07/23 14:29:40 (permalink)
    I scrub mine down every couple trips. First a damp paper towel with dish soap suds. Next, pinch clean with a clean water paper towel. I think someone on here mentioned to me that they did this also (Cold?)...

Of course, I usually get my gear out any night-before a fishing trip and futz with it while I count the hours till it's time to go.
    mossy oak
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 883
    RE: dry rotting floating line 2009/07/23 18:54:17 (permalink)
    I use armour-all on mine too.  Seems to keep it in good shape. I keep my rod and reel in a closet.  UV rays will break down a line faster than anything.

MO 

so save your breath I could not hear, I think I made it very clear...

Fisherboy86
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 130
    RE: dry rotting floating line 2009/07/24 00:17:45 (permalink)
    Could be anything.

Heat, Sun, Storage, Casting, Dirt, where it may have been made (China), Coldness.

Fly lines aren't made to last forever. The average fisherman should get on average, 2 years out of a line. And that includes cracking. Cracking does not affect the castability (if that's a word) of the line. Not even as much of the flotation that you think it does (from being "waterlogged").

Extreme false casting and practice will break down a line faster than anything.

Mike
    doubletaper
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3977
    RE: dry rotting floating line 2009/07/27 08:09:12 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Fisherboy86

Could be anything.

Heat, Sun, Storage, Casting, Dirt, where it may have been made (China), Coldness.

Fly lines aren't made to last forever. The average fisherman should get on average, 2 years out of a line. And that includes cracking. Cracking does not affect the castability (if that's a word) of the line. Not even as much of the flotation that you think it does (from being "waterlogged").

Extreme false casting and practice will break down a line faster than anything.

Mike

besides this make sure you do not get bug sprays on your fly line. it will deteriorate the coating faster. make sure you don't over fill the spool as if the line is constantly rubbing against the reel on retrieve.

i would think the cracking would hold water and prevent the line from casting further. if you do recoat it with cleaner is will slide out of the eyes better.
    i wouldn't use a cracking line during freezing weather though because they will freeze quicker.

http://streamsidetales.bl...015/05/helles-yea.html
    it's not luck
    if success is consistent 

Jump to: