Fly Fishing - Where to spend a days vacation?

Author
Recman
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 131
  • Reward points: 0
2009/07/15 12:30:06 (permalink)

Fly Fishing - Where to spend a days vacation?

My son and I are new to fly fishing. I am planning to take a vacation day and take him fly fishing. Will you please give me some suggestions on where to take him? I live in the New Alex - Latrobe area. I don't mind driving a couple hours if necessary. I'm trying to make good memories for him. Thank you.

4 Replies Related Threads

worm_waster
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 528
    RE: Fly Fishing - Where to spend a days vacation? 2009/07/15 13:15:43 (permalink)
    Yough.w_w.

If it has fins and gills, I'm there.

Cold
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 7358
    RE: Fly Fishing - Where to spend a days vacation? 2009/07/15 13:32:22 (permalink)
    What do you want to catch? And how old is your boy (or how good does the fishing have to be to keep him interested?) Yough is a good bet, but there's several streams around here that are still holding decent numbers of trout.
    casts_by_fly
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 671
    RE: Fly Fishing - Where to spend a days vacation? 2009/07/15 15:17:00 (permalink)
    if you're new to fly fishing, you probably want to go somewhere with a fair number of fish. When you're just starting out you need to be able to catch a few fish and know what you're doing right or wrong. Seeing fish helps too. I assume you're talking about trout and you'll be fishing a week day.

The little J would be on my list. Plenty of fish, sight fishing available. Still tough conditions, depending when you get there. Spring creek would be up there also. About any type of water depending where you want to fish. Again, plenty of fish. If you want something a little different, you could try the Yellow Breeches, one of my personal favorites. The terrestrials should be out in full force and small ants and foam beetles always produce there in the summer. The water (below the run) stays pretty cool in the summer so there are some hatches most of the time. It is sight fishing as much as you want, though there are plenty of runs and cuts to blind fish to. It is tough fishing as it gets a lot of pressure. But you will learn a lot there because there are so many fish to cast to. And, if you get cocky or desperate (depending on your style, see following) there is the Run. The Run is the outflow from the spring fed lake in boiling springs. It is cold year round and in the summer the trout stack there. Most of it is <12" deep and the fish will be about a fin's length apart for most of it. With midges (<#20) and 6X/7X/8X you can have a frustrating afternoon. Lots of fish, more than a few looks, tons of refusals unless you have a perfect drift. Alternatively, you can toss in some little pieces of bread or similar and the trout will go nuts. A #14 creme sucker spawn with no weight will do wonders when the trout think they see bread.

Personally, for a mid week day trip I'd hit the breeches. It is one of my favorite waters of all time and when there aren't people crowding in it can be a right joy to fish.

Thanks
    Rick
    fishenfool46
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 1000
    RE: Fly Fishing - Where to spend a days vacation? 2009/07/16 14:36:20 (permalink)

hit a local lake or pond with some poppers and flys let the lil guy
    as well as yourself practice your roll cast and over head casts.small poppers and flys should keep the local fish amused.

I didn't say these are the ten suggestions
    signed God
    Jump to: