Best Pa. Smallie Fishing

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
Dr Trout
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 107
  • Reward points: 0
RE: Best Pa. Smallie Fishing 2009/07/06 14:03:52 (permalink)
Here's some erie smallies photos a friend shared on my message board and I put together on a webpage..

http://drsems.tripod.com/09neville.html
post edited by Dr Trout - 2009/07/06 14:05:03
hiclassHilbilly
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1052
RE: Best Pa. Smallie Fishing 2009/07/06 17:09:49 (permalink)
I think it is worth noting that smallie fishing on erie is best for a 2 month period only.  After that, they scatter all around the lake and they are much harder to get, from my understanding.

River bass don't go anywhere, so they can be caught almost all year long.  Therefore, any productive river, allegheny, french creek, susqy..etc, is a better smallmouth fishery in my opinion.  But then again, I like to fish more than 2 days a year for them...

If you wanna go for just 3 days all year and try to catch a state record, then erie is your bet in late april to early june.

"A Homewood man led police on an hourlong car chase that ended with a crash injuring three officers.

"The car was driving itself," Wright said. "The car has a GPS. It's a Lincoln Navigator. They drive themselves. I wasn't running nowhere."
hiclassHilbilly
Pro Angler
RE: Best Pa. Smallie Fishing 2009/07/06 17:11:00 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: Creekman

Zara spook, skitterpop, Rebel crawdad crankbaits.

4 of us caught 125 smallmouth with 2 over 7 and not one fish under 4 lb. about 8 years ago near Pelee Island. That's a tough one to believe also but I was there to witness it. The most amazing thing was that there was only 3 fish under 5lb.

And whose scale was use to weigh these?   I have seen alot of guys get excited about good fishing and suddenly, every fish is 50% bigger than what it really is. 

"A Homewood man led police on an hourlong car chase that ended with a crash injuring three officers.

"The car was driving itself," Wright said. "The car has a GPS. It's a Lincoln Navigator. They drive themselves. I wasn't running nowhere."
Don B
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 126
RE: Best Pa. Smallie Fishing 2009/07/06 22:13:48 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: hiclassHilbilly

I think it is worth noting that smallie fishing on erie is best for a 2 month period only.  After that, they scatter all around the lake and they are much harder to get, from my understanding.

River bass don't go anywhere, so they can be caught almost all year long.  Therefore, any productive river, allegheny, french creek, susqy..etc, is a better smallmouth fishery in my opinion.  But then again, I like to fish more than 2 days a year for them...

If you wanna go for just 3 days all year and try to catch a state record, then erie is your bet in late april to early june.

I catch 'em any time I go there. They're not that hard to find. Unless you've done it, it is hard to believe how many you can catch there on a day, and how big all of them can be....but there are lots of them, and they are big! I usually go up there for walleye, but I always go for a few smallie hawgs while I'm there. Usually one day for the walleye, and one for the smallmouth. Always do smallmouth the second day, or at the end of the day....your arms will be tired from pulling them in!

I fish the rivers mostly like you do, and catch some big ones here too, but the stories you hear about Erie are mostly true. They are like a whole nutha species of smallmouth up there, and there are LOTS of them in the main lake, and they are not all that finicky about what they'll hit either, as long as you get it down there to them.
hiclassHilbilly
Pro Angler
RE: Best Pa. Smallie Fishing 2009/07/06 22:42:31 (permalink)
I spent 3 days up there in may (20 mile creek area), fishing for smallies, but the weather was too nice for them to bite much.  The lake was as flat as a farm pond and you could see the bottom in 20 feet of water.  Shoot, I abandoned the boat and spent two half days in my kayak to try and avoid spooking them.

I did catch one that was 21.5" long and 18" in girth, but it was my understanding that once they stop spawning, they really scatter out.  I was on a walleye charter last year and we didnt catch a single one, so if they are as easy to catch as you say (outside of the spawning season), how do you do it?

Creekman
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 81
RE: Best Pa. Smallie Fishing 2009/07/06 23:42:25 (permalink)
Our boat captain weighed most of the fish with a digital scale, he also had a fish counting device that was like an umpires counter.

~Jim~
fishohiocanoeclub.net
We love Pa.
hiclassHilbilly
Pro Angler
RE: Best Pa. Smallie Fishing 2009/07/06 23:57:05 (permalink)
then my hat goes off to you because you had the day of a lifetime.  :)

sugarfuzz12
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 527
RE: Best Pa. Smallie Fishing 2009/07/07 05:42:51 (permalink)
shenango river has a lot of nice smallies 
Noplacelikehome
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 774
RE: Best Pa. Smallie Fishing 2009/07/07 06:37:32 (permalink)
Hillbilly, every thing you hear about Erie is true(numbers, size) I have a 7lb 3oz Smally on my wall to prove it. I was just up on July 2nd and caught 6 Smallys fishing for perch off of the South Pier!  One was 5 lbs. Can you imagine how much fun that fish was on ultra light tackle with only 4 lb test! I also caught 5 largemouth. If you want Smallmouth you can find them in Erie almost all year long. I have seen smallmouth caught through the ice!  50 bass in one day is not that hard to do in Erie.

Don B
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 126
RE: Best Pa. Smallie Fishing 2009/07/07 08:10:28 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: hiclassHilbilly

so if they are as easy to catch as you say (outside of the spawning season), how do you do it?

I'm very rarely up there during the spawning season. Like I said, I usually go when the walleye herd is there(late July to early October).

They ARE easy to catch...anytime. Find anything at all that is different about the bottom, they'll be there. Jig anything: hair jig, tube, minnow, etc. Drop shot any Senko or whatever kind of plastic imitation thingamabob your heart desires...you'll catch 'em. Carolina rig stuff...you'll catch 'em. Jig a piece of nightcrawler and catch some gobies, then do like above stated...you'll catch 'em.
tippecanoe
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1451
RE: Best Pa. Smallie Fishing 2009/07/07 08:26:20 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: Noplacelikehome

Hillbilly, every thing you hear about Erie is true(numbers, size) I have a 7lb 3oz Smally on my wall to prove it. I was just up on July 2nd and caught 6 Smallys fishing for perch off of the South Pier!  One was 5 lbs. Can you imagine how much fun that fish was on ultra light tackle with only 4 lb test! I also caught 5 largemouth. If you want Smallmouth you can find them in Erie almost all year long. I have seen smallmouth caught through the ice!  50 bass in one day is not that hard to do in Erie.

If I caught a 7 lbs. smallie, I would probably crap my pants.
Noplacelikehome
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 774
RE: Best Pa. Smallie Fishing 2009/07/07 17:07:31 (permalink)
Tip, most people don't realize 8 lbers are caught EVERY YEAR out of Lake Erie.  You know there is a 10 somewhere in Pa. or Oh.  waters.
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to: