Aerator Question

Author
Hunter25
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 77
  • Reward points: 0
2009/06/17 10:19:18 (permalink)

Aerator Question

Heading to Maine July 11. I have a battery powered bait aerator, but it doesn't seem to put out enought O2 for larger baitfish. I have an aquarium pump that is mich larger and puts out 5 times the amount of O2 but needs a plug. I am wondering if anyone has ever cut the plug off and put alligator clips on to attach to a 6volt lantern battery?

7 Replies Related Threads

Neversink Jimmy
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 798
    RE: Aerator Question 2009/06/17 12:44:02 (permalink)
    I am probably the worst electrician on this forum (just look at my bilge pump switches and wiring) but you might have an easy solution to this problem if you are just worried about transportation by vehicle, or have a 12v power outlet hooked to your boat battery.  That part is so easy that even *I* have done it a few times!

The little 'pocket' power inverters are pretty cheap and really handy.  You can get one as big or as small as you need, but I've always opted for the little ones.  Plug it into your cigarette lighter/12v outlet, and then you can plug the AC power lead right into the inverter.

I've only used mine to run a CD player on the boat, and a few times even watched movies on a laptop in nice weather while night fishing at my house.  But the little $20 ones should provide plenty of juice for an aerator.

It might not be what you are looking for, or maybe I am stating the obvious, but it would seem to be a cheap and easy solution to getting enough power to run the home aquarium bubbler?

Regardles, good luck in Maine!  Hope it's an awesome trip!

"I love fishing. You put that line in the water and you don't know what's on the other end. Your imagination is under there" -Robert Altman
    Hunter25
    Novice Angler
    RE: Aerator Question 2009/06/17 13:33:58 (permalink)
    No I am looking to just put a bigger aerator on a 5 gallon bucket. Hauling around a marine battery isn't an option. I'm just wondering if a battery (s) will have enough juice to run this pump for hours
    jkbugger
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 211
    RE: Aerator Question 2009/06/17 16:07:04 (permalink)
    my buddy has an little air pump that runs of 2-4 AA bateries and runs for a full day easily. Just remember to try and keep the water cool and make sure you have some type of litte air stone.

His setup is made for 5 gallon buckets and works great. Air most times isn't the problem is the ammonia so change the water everyone in a while and you should be good.

"Give a man a fish, and he can eat for a day. But teach a man how to fish, and he'll be dead of mercury poisoning inside of three years."
    Charles Haas
    Mr.Jigs
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 352
    RE: Aerator Question 2009/06/17 20:50:07 (permalink)
    MMM, no Hunter cutting the plug and putting clips wont work due to the electric current and could even damage your larger aerator. and may even be dangerous. keeping live bait alive is a mainstream problem in Louisiana especially on those hot 110 degree days in july and august there, the three things we do to help the fish last the day is 1. is as Jk stated change the water every once in a while.
    2. we take two freezer zip lock bags fill with water freeze at home and bring them in the cooler with the other stuff, solid block of ice takes longer to melt in bait bucket than taking small chunks from store bought ice out of cooler and using it. two zip locks used one at a time will last most of the day. with a good cooler. 3. is we will drop an asperin in the water when we hit the lake and when ever we change the water. not sure how well that helps but most in south who use live bait swear by it, so I'm like whats a few asprins?
    OH! if your fishing out of a boat they seel a metal bait bucket that is like a spaghetti strainer and sets inside of a solid bucket, you just take the inner one out and hang it over the side of the boat while tied to the boat when your ready to move on just set it back in the main bucket.
    Last of all, catch fish faster, lol 
    post edited by Mr.Jigs - 2009/06/17 20:54:45
    pghmarty
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5951
    RE: Aerator Question 2009/06/17 22:00:12 (permalink)
    I am wondering if anyone has ever cut the plug off and put alligator clips on to attach to a 6volt lantern battery?

It will work only if the wall pack puts out 6V and the motor will run on DC-It should but some wont.

Use a larger stone that makes smaller bubbles.
    Taller is better than wider for the bucket or cooler

backin79
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1582
    RE: Aerator Question 2009/06/18 07:47:00 (permalink)
    Not sure about this but here in nys , you need the receipt for any purchased live baitfish and it is good for one week,, not sure if it is legal to transport even certified bait from state to state for personal use. As for keeping bait alive?.. I use to use lots of herring (sawbellies) for my resi fishing and so learned what works best for keeping them alive a few days. Last week on rt back from oneida, i purchased a (Magic Aerobait Quiet Air 2) has about 30hrs on one D battery and it has a high low speed ..paid 16 bucks ..I usually keep handy two bait buckets on rt. during the summer , both my buckets are styrofoamed lined ..the smaller is a plano gal. the other is the big 5 gal i use with the aerator.. i use my cold well water as soon as i get to my site and cover the insulated lid.. i use a dip net .. change water frequently and sometimes use ice from the cooler if i can't get chill water.Personally,  I wouldn't drag bait interstate, i'd find a local bait shop if i'm fishing with bait and just bring the best lures i think would work for the fishing i'm doing. gl

stay out of the stock market /big brother is on the take
    Hunter25
    Novice Angler
    RE: Aerator Question 2009/06/18 08:51:37 (permalink)
    Thanks for all of the advice! I am going to try them all. The toughest part is hauling everything around with you. I try to stay away from the majority of people up there. There are a lot of locals and I respect there space and spots. Last year I happened to be walking back from a spot way away from everyone and 1 of the locals asked me how I did. I told him "no dice" and he proceeded to ask me what I was using. I told him chunked mackeral. He told me that he had fished that spot when he was younger and able to walk out on the rocks. He also told me use live bait, cuhunkerd or dead bait won't work, needless to say, I can't wait to get up there to try.
    Jump to: