Mohawk

Author
Hunter25
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 77
  • Reward points: 0
2009/06/12 13:20:16 (permalink)

Mohawk

Has anyone ever launched from the Rotterdam boat launch on the Mohawk? I guess it is off of Rice Rd. Never been, and am wondering if it above or below lock 8?

6 Replies Related Threads

Neversink Jimmy
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 798
    RE: Mohawk 2009/06/12 14:14:47 (permalink)
    Never launched up there, but I do put-in above Lock 7 quite often and fish the stretch between 7 and 8 a lot.

I have passed a dirt ramp several times on the north side of the river while heading up into Rotterdam from Scotia, but I am not sure if that is the same ramp you are talking about.  I'd love to hear how you make out, since I've had good luck with some decent wally's below the Lock 8 dam over the years. 

As a kid in the late 80s I also used to target Tiger Muskies right by the GE Turbine Warm Water Outlet in Rotterdam near Route 5S.  My parents would drop me off on their way to Rotterdam Square Mall back when it first opened (and the Tiger Muskie Project on the Mohawk was just starting out).  Live Shiners (from the old Nicks Field & Stream) used to produce a TON of bass, a few pike, and four Tigers in my youth.  I still remember each of them. 

You will see the outsource easily.  There is a two-story pumphouse right on the river, and you can see the GE Complex behind it, across 5S.  Definatley worth a look, you will see the current eddy behond the subsurface outlet.  Apparently the water is really warm coming out of there!

Can't wait to hear a report.  I love the Mohawk.  I know a few other guys on here hit it often too.

I say Lock 7 is best for just about all Mohawk species, but the WALLEYE have always seemed to stack up in Rotterdam at Lock 8.  But there's good ones below all the dams, I would imagine.  Good luck Hunter!

"I love fishing. You put that line in the water and you don't know what's on the other end. Your imagination is under there" -Robert Altman
    Hunter25
    Novice Angler
    RE: Mohawk 2009/06/12 15:03:54 (permalink)
    Thanks for the heads up! Yeah fished all down that way when I was a kid too. Us Nisky boys should have gotten together way back when. It could have saved our parents a ton of gas money if we car pooled. Meant to tell, nice pics their from Alplaus. Almost identicle to the ones put out on the Schdy town website. Last week had a few nice eyes but the smallies wouldn't cooperate. Hoping tomorrow brings a little better luck. 2 weeks ago slammed them real good.
    REEL FORCE
    • Total Posts : 552
    RE: Mohawk 2009/06/12 16:21:01 (permalink)
    The launch is past Rice Rd on 5S heading for Rotterdam JCT . It's at the Kauanas Park. This ramp puts you above Lock 8 .
    post edited by REEL FORCE - 2009/06/12 16:24:46
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6388
    RE: Mohawk 2009/06/12 18:16:10 (permalink)
    Laugh, I'm in the Dack's  with cable & isp at my campsite .
    I have fished that section often but not in the last 15 years. We used to catch plenty of Muskie and could not keep the smallies off a wiggle wart. Thing is we fished there for bear bait because it was so **** reliable.
    Kiwanis Park on 5 S is the launch...

as for the fishing up here... Ausable is blown out. pond was slow today.. I'm heading to Saranac tomorrow.

Jimmy I have Your 3 wt. reel..  

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen
    EagleCrg
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 160
    RE: Mohawk 2009/06/12 21:19:30 (permalink)
    Tuna:  Did you mean bear bait or bare bait?
    Hunter25
    Novice Angler
    RE: Mohawk 2009/06/15 12:44:56 (permalink)
    Well, I didn't make it up to that launch, but I went out to the normal spots from the lighthouse. Saturday my father in law and I fished for about 6 hours, nothing until we changed things up and went after walleye. Then I only managed 1 smallie. Very discouraging. Fished again Sunday and only a few rock bass. Crazy! Not sure what is going on. Anybody else fishing the mohawk and seeing it very slow. 2 weeks ago I couldn't get my line in the water fast enough.
    Jump to: