Fisherman's Paradise?

Author
FlashDance
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 968
  • Reward points: 0
2007/08/04 22:40:30 (permalink)

Fisherman's Paradise?

Today, I made my first trip since 1996 to Fisherman's Paradise.

When I was there then, it wasn't like the days of my childhood. Things had changed.

When I arrived there today, I found that things have continued to change none for what appeared to be the good. Am I mistaken or has the place gone completely down the tubes.

17 Replies Related Threads

indsguiz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6356
    RE: Fisherman's Paradise? 2007/08/05 00:07:43 (permalink)
    Flash,
         Used to fish it weekly (or is that weakly) and you are very right.   The first time I went "home" after about 15 years  I was very disappointed.  Used to be that you could fish upstream quite a ways but when I was last there the road was closed and you weren't allowed up stream.  Was going to try to go up in Sept, when I am going up to see elderly relatives.  Is it still that bad?  My opinion is all the run off from the state colege area and the massive development in the area has greatly degraded the stream.  But I do want to see it again.

Illegitimis Non carborundum
    FlashDance
    Expert Angler
    RE: Fisherman's Paradise? 2007/08/05 08:30:35 (permalink)
    There's a gate across the road going upstream.

There were several fish commission cars parked in the lot by the gate. I don't know if that's the norm or not.

The creek is low, but that's normal for the summer.

The lower bridge has been replaced. At least since I was there last. It's a nice bridge, but it
    appears no one doesn't any landscaping work there any more. Everything is overgrown.
    Wading, which I believe is still prohibited, is the only way to fish in some locations. And guys
    were doing it. They weren't in waders, but were wading in shorts and tennis shoes.

Used to be, that you could stand the bridges and watch fish feed. You could show people who didn't
    understand, how trout feed on insects. We stopped at both bridges as I had hoped to accomplish this.

I found 1 fish feeding. A small brown halfway down the pool below the lower bridge. He gave me hope that the water temperature was still in a good range. He was laying out in the direct sunlight just munching on bug after bug after bug.

Overall, the place looks like a commercial fish hatchery and training center.
    Maybe the Fisherman's Paradise signs need to come down and be replaced by
    signs for the Stackhouse School and Fish Commission Hatchery.
    Stillhead
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1887
    RE: Fisherman's Paradise? 2007/08/05 09:59:38 (permalink)
    Dude you probably scared them all.  The biggest difference now is that most of the fish are smaller and wild.  When I was there last year early morning there was a trico hatch and you couldn't count the fish feeding from that bridge downstream to the end of the paradise.  But as soon as you walk out on that bridge most of them vanish.  You should have walked them over to the outflow of the hatchery, those fish over there are tame and won't spook from you.

It was interesting when I went back the first time since we were kids.  I remembered that outflow from the hatchery as being a wide stream (in my mind it was as big as the main branch), then when I walked over there and looked I couldn't believe my eyes. I just stood there and looked around wondering what the heck happened to the rest of the creek.  I guess that little ditch seemed allot bigger when I was 8 years old.
    post edited by Stillhead - 2007/08/05 10:04:17
    FlashDance
    Expert Angler
    RE: Fisherman's Paradise? 2007/08/05 12:11:48 (permalink)
    LMAO.

the outflow that you speak of, there was a dude standing right in the middle of the creek there.
    Guess what he was fishing for?

thedrake
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1948
    RE: Fisherman's Paradise? 2007/08/05 12:30:25 (permalink)
    As far as you seeing only one fish feeding, that was probably the only fish rising. The trout in SC just like every other stream eat much more below the surface, than above. You probably couldnt see the fish in the riffles that were eating scuds and cressbugs (the main food in a spring creek trouts diet).
    jlh42581
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1885
    RE: Fisherman's Paradise? 2007/08/06 11:04:22 (permalink)
    I personally dont like to fish the paradise but I love spring creek. It is SUPER LOW and infact we shouldnt even be fishing it thats how low it really is. The upper part where a gate crosses the road is still open to the public and most likely soon the canyon will become open to the public. Didnt you see the sign by the gate that says wading is permitted above the gate now? Thats a BIG change up there that made the fishing that section much more enjoyable. You got to remember that the fish in the paradise section get pounded on day in and day out thats why you dont see consistant risers.

I hate that section, fish different sections of the stream... better structure, better currents....less crowd!
    dealinsteel
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 318
    RE: Fisherman's Paradise? 2007/08/06 13:42:03 (permalink)
    Hahaha yeah fish Benner!
    jlh42581
    Pro Angler
    RE: Fisherman's Paradise? 2007/08/06 16:16:41 (permalink)
    Not quite what I was thinking 
    FlashDance
    Expert Angler
    RE: Fisherman's Paradise? 2007/08/06 21:09:59 (permalink)
    I understand what all of you guys are saying.

Here's what I don't like.

It's called "Fisherman's Paradise"

I took NON fisherman there. When we walked around the place,
    There attitude was " You call this paradise?"

It's sad, but True that I had to agree with them.
    jlh42581
    Pro Angler
    RE: Fisherman's Paradise? 2007/08/07 10:27:43 (permalink)
    I guess "paradise" is in the eye of the beholder. It is a paradise, the fishing is always great, you never see a trout gutted. Every year theres consistant hatches year long. And the fish are beautiful. Yet its a mile from a small city.

Your right, its not the most beautiful place in the world. But... its kinda like hunting, a 4pt may be a prize in someones eyes.
    duncsdad
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 515
    RE: Fisherman's Paradise? 2007/08/07 19:30:29 (permalink)
    Back in the day until about 1985, it was a Fisherman's Paradise.  The banks were well manicured, the deflectors were in place, large trout were stocked, there was an abundance of bugs, the fishermen were numerous, but courteous and helpful, and it was a great place to take beginning anglers to learn the sport of flyfishing because it was a given that they were over fish that were behaving like trout should.

That all changed when Del Graf didn't get his way when he wanted to turn it into a keep two fish trophy area.  By his actions as Cold Water Fisheries Manager, that was the end of the stocking, the end of stream maintenance, the end of mowing the grass, and the end of Paradise as it was envisioned by some visionaries that one time ran the Fish Commission who by creating that 6/10ths of a mile stretch brought flyfishing to the masses and started the explosion of flyfishing popularity.

Knowing how it once was, it makes me ill to even go near there.

Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion
    Stillhead
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1887
    RE: Fisherman's Paradise? 2007/08/07 22:25:50 (permalink)
    That was the year I first fished it, 1985. I was 7 years old.   At the time it was the greatest thing in the world to me. Tons of big fish stacked the entire length of the stream. 

I can understand guys wanting to fish wild fish rather than stocked, but there was always wild browns in there then as well.  If they were native Brook trout they were stocking over top of, then I could see the problem. But it was a unique place when it was stocked, I can't see the harm in stocking that short section of the stream.

That said, I still enjoyed fishing it last summer. Fishing daybreak until noon 1 day last summer, I caught easily over 50 trout, some wild, some hatchery.  Browns from 8 to 18 inches and bows from 10 to 24 inches.   A few of those big fish came from the outflow I must admit, but most were just below there in the main branch.  They were stacked in that fast water above the posted wire. The fish out the main branch fought much better and didn't seem as tame as the fish in the outflow.
    jlh42581
    Pro Angler
    RE: Fisherman's Paradise? 2007/08/08 08:09:29 (permalink)
    Spring Creek WAS a native brook trout fishery. Untill they polluted it with browns. I cant imagine how big brookies must have been in that stream.
    PAtrout
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 23
    RE: Fisherman's Paradise? 2007/08/28 11:13:10 (permalink)
    Nice to see some info on Fisherman's Paradise. I have not been there sinse late 1950s with my dad before he died. It was a great place at that time with large fish and lots of fisherman. The breeders were huge, I never saw trout that big. I must take a ride up some time to look at the place.
    jlh42581
    Pro Angler
    RE: Fisherman's Paradise? 2007/08/28 12:27:47 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: PAtrout

Nice to see some info on Fisherman's Paradise. I have not been there sinse late 1950s with my dad before he died. It was a great place at that time with large fish and lots of fisherman. The breeders were huge, I never saw trout that big. I must take a ride up some time to look at the place.

Bring a rod and drop me an email, we'll fish!
    duncsdad
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 515
    RE: Fisherman's Paradise? 2007/08/28 19:33:10 (permalink)

PAtrout,

You will be greatly disappointed if you are expecting anything like it was in the 50's, 60's, 70's, or even 80's. 

Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion
    salmotrutta
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2132
    RE: Fisherman's Paradise? 2007/08/28 20:33:27 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: duncsdad

PAtrout,

You will be greatly disappointed if you are expecting anything like it was in the 50's, 60's, 70's, or even 80's. 

More Paradise Stories! I enjoy those.
    Sorry I haven't been around. Had the kids fishing a bunch this weekend. My twins caught the school bus for the first time today! I finally got to fish without feeling guilty this afternoon. LOL. Now I'm tying flies to make up what was lost over the weekend.

Lyrical
    Jump to: