New to Carp

Author
lcmoeller2
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 17
  • Reward points: 0
2009/06/04 13:07:59 (permalink)

New to Carp

I am a regular fly fishermen but I am looking for something besides the basic bass and stocked trout and I was wondering where in pittsburgh is best for catching some big carp. Any advice would be great.

I don't wanna be a product of my environment..I want my environment to be a product of me

2 Replies Related Threads

kastmasterpro
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 272
    RE: New to Carp 2009/06/04 16:17:25 (permalink)
    well if your fly fishing there pretty easy to catch..you gotta find them when there feeding..i fish erie anywhere along the bay and i use woogly buggers and nymphs..also cream colored egg flies work for them too..my friend gets them on this all the time..its head is a white circle and has some white fur coming out of it..its pretty basic but those carp are fun to catch! also use the lightest line you can..you have alot of room in open water to land those big ones so use as light as possible..if there current i would fish 8 pound..but if open water i strongly suggest lighter line for smaller flies
    FishinGuy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2074
    RE: New to Carp 2009/06/09 11:58:49 (permalink)
    im no fly fisherman but i sometimes fish for carp. carp are everywhere, any small local pond would be a good bet. clear water with wide open shallow flats is a big plus. i dont know where you are located but i know twin lakes park and mamoth park both have these good qualities. just look for a big spot of muddy water with carp in it, thos are the ones feeding. i own a fly rod but i hit the back of my head with the fly more often than i hit the water, so im still practicing. good luck let us know how you do

Jump to: