ANYBODY BIN UP TO KETTLE CREEK IN POTTER CO. FLY FISHIN?

Author
PACOFRANSICO
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 276
  • Reward points: 0
2009/06/03 20:59:45 (permalink)

ANYBODY BIN UP TO KETTLE CREEK IN POTTER CO. FLY FISHIN?

I  was up to kettle creek and camped in the Ole Bull st. park the week after fathers day. The fishin' on kettle was horrible. Unless you only wanted to fish within a 100yrds. of the parks swimmin' hole. They didn't stock up any further than that. I got lucky the first day my father and I hiked up kettle 2 miles north of the park to a spot we fished last year. I got lucky and laned a 18inch rainbow in the middle of a down pour!

Next day we went upto the next bridge up on kettle and on caught a half dozen of so natives ( the highlight of the trip for me!) Nothing over 6 inches.  We also checked out Youngwomens Creek but it got stocked that day and all the truck chasers were there.

The thing that puzzles me that kettle is supposed to be this awsome flyfishing creek and there is no trout except in the park. A mile section of creek.

Anybody notice this also and to possibley save the trip next year maybe point me to a better spot in that area.

"If, when you pull a fly out you
dont hear drums and cant smell
chicken blood in the air, put it back
in the box, for if it is evil you seek,
then it can only be conjured with the
same.

13 Replies Related Threads

KJH807
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4863
    RE: ANYBODY BIN UP TO KETTLE CREEK IN POTTER CO. FLY FISHIN? 2009/06/03 23:24:39 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: PACOFRANSICO

... Unless you only wanted to fish within a 100yrds. of the parks swimmin' hole. They didn't stock up any further than that.

vs.

We also checked out Youngwomens Creek but it got stocked that day and all the truck chasers were there.

Irony (from the Ancient Greek εἰρωνεία eirōneía, meaning hypocrisy, deception, or feigned ignorance) is a literary or rhetorical device, in which there is an incongruity or discordance between what one says or does and what one means or what is generally understood. Irony is a mode of expression that calls attention to the character's knowledge and that of the audience.
    There is some argument about what qualifies as ironic, but all senses of irony revolve around the perceived notion of an incongruity between what is expressed and what is intended, or between an understanding or expectation of a reality and what actually happens, "when the literal truth is in direct discordance to the perceived truth."

PeteM
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 539
    RE: ANYBODY BIN UP TO KETTLE CREEK IN POTTER CO. FLY FISHIN? 2009/06/03 23:40:38 (permalink)
    I've never fished kettle, but when I go to a creek I'm not familiar with, I tend to assume that the fish are there and I just need to find them.

Bridge holes and stocking points are just a given, but I also usualy look for bobber in trees, birds nests of mono and beer cans.

If you can find all three there will be fish in there.

Cold
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 7358
    RE: ANYBODY BIN UP TO KETTLE CREEK IN POTTER CO. FLY FISHIN? 2009/06/04 07:34:35 (permalink)
    Irony (from the Ancient Greek εἰρωνεία eirōneía, meaning hypocrisy, deception, or feigned ignorance) is a literary or rhetorical device, in which there is an incongruity or discordance between what one says or does and what one means or what is generally understood. Irony is a mode of expression that calls attention to the character's knowledge and that of the audience.
    There is some argument about what qualifies as ironic, but all senses of irony revolve around the perceived notion of an incongruity between what is expressed and what is intended, or between an understanding or expectation of a reality and what actually happens, "when the literal truth is in direct discordance to the perceived truth."

Well that was unique...
    flyfisherman22
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 273
    RE: ANYBODY BIN UP TO KETTLE CREEK IN POTTER CO. FLY FISHIN? 2009/06/04 09:50:28 (permalink)
    the creek is loaded with trout... there is a catch and release fly fishing only section on the stream... explore more, dont jst wait till the kids are done swimming and cast in behind them... the water is awsome the whole way down to the dam

For the supreme test of a fisherman is not how many fish he has caught, not even how he has caught them, but what he has caught when he has caught no fish."
    ~ John H. Bradley
    doubletaper
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3977
    RE: ANYBODY BIN UP TO KETTLE CREEK IN POTTER CO. FLY FISHIN? 2009/06/04 10:23:56 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: KJH807

kjh807, with that said, i now have a noun that dicribes our new president elect.

paco, there's fish throughout the stream. just because you don't see'm doesn't mean they are not there.
    post edited by doubletaper - 2009/06/04 10:30:03

http://streamsidetales.bl...015/05/helles-yea.html
    it's not luck
    if success is consistent 

troutwizard54
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 268
    RE: ANYBODY BIN UP TO KETTLE CREEK IN POTTER CO. FLY FISHIN? 2009/06/18 10:47:20 (permalink)

I  was up to kettle creek and camped in the Ole Bull st. park the week after fathers day. The fishin' on kettle was horrible. Unless you only wanted to fish within a 100yrds. of the parks swimmin' hole. They didn't stock up any further than that. I got lucky the first day my father and I hiked up kettle 2 miles north of the park to a spot we fished last year. I got lucky and laned a 18inch rainbow in the middle of a down pour!

Next day we went upto the next bridge up on kettle and on caught a half dozen of so natives ( the highlight of the trip for me!) Nothing over 6 inches.  We also checked out Youngwomens Creek but it got stocked that day and all the truck chasers were there.

The thing that puzzles me that kettle is supposed to be this awsome flyfishing creek and there is no trout except in the park. A mile section of creek.

Anybody notice this also and to possibley save the trip next year maybe point me to a better spot in that area.

For one thing kettle Creek is full of fish from top to bottom, 2 hate to bust your bubble but that fish you are holding is no more than 15 inches, if its even that, caught many of trout 18 inches and over and that just doesnt fit the category, and if you knew youngwomans creek was getting stocked then your a truck chaser to. Anyways headed to kettle tomorrow ill let you know how i do.

The wizard
    outfortrout
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 123
    RE: ANYBODY BIN UP TO KETTLE CREEK IN POTTER CO. FLY FISHIN? 2009/06/18 10:57:41 (permalink)
    I was up to Kettle on June 2. I caught a few right below the kid's area at Ole Bull. My favorite area has always been around Cross Forks though especially upstream of the town. I caught 13 that day on bait which isn't very good for me up there. There were a lot of trout jumping. They were locked in on flies and didn't really want bait. I get up there once per year if I'm lucky.
    kill3ducks1deer
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 699
    RE: ANYBODY BIN UP TO KETTLE CREEK IN POTTER CO. FLY FISHIN? 2009/06/18 11:24:54 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: troutwizard54

For one thing kettle Creek is full of fish from top to bottom, 2 hate to bust your bubble but that fish you are holding is no more than 15 inches, if its even that, caught many of trout 18 inches and over and that just doesnt fit the category, and if you knew youngwomans creek was getting stocked then your a truck chaser to. Anyways headed to kettle tomorrow ill let you know how i do.

The trout could be 15 inches, it also depends on how big he is.  And i think he realized they stocked youngwomans creek when he arrived there, not intentionally trying to get stocked trout.

I could be wrong so don't take personal, that's just how i thought he meant it.

"Fishermen are born honest, but they get over it." Ed Zern
    troutwizard54
    Expert Angler
    RE: ANYBODY BIN UP TO KETTLE CREEK IN POTTER CO. FLY FISHIN? 2009/06/18 11:32:22 (permalink)
    possibly

The wizard
    PACOFRANSICO
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 276
    RE: ANYBODY BIN UP TO KETTLE CREEK IN POTTER CO. FLY FISHIN? 2009/06/18 14:28:51 (permalink)
    I taped the trout at 18 inches. Im' 6'4 and 300 ilbs anything I hold looks small. Next time i post a fish pic I'll put tape beside it so it don't come to a debate. And as far as y. womens creek they stocked the day we stop to look at it and had no intention of fishing it. I ended up fishing lebo run.  The fishing sucked when we were up on are trip....Some people defend creeks like there first born. I guess kettle, Lil' Juniata, y. womens creek and wycoff run have a fan club. If the fishin' sucked it sucked. I call'em like i see em.

"If, when you pull a fly out you
    dont hear drums and cant smell
    chicken blood in the air, put it back
    in the box, for if it is evil you seek,
    then it can only be conjured with the
    same.
    troutwizard54
    Expert Angler
    RE: ANYBODY BIN UP TO KETTLE CREEK IN POTTER CO. FLY FISHIN? 2009/06/22 21:21:05 (permalink)
    Try down below cross forks towards kettle ck state park, did ok there last weekend, headed back up the 29th-5......i didnt mean no disrespect fransisco if your that big of a man it makes sense now.

The wizard
    Flying Fish
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 240
    RE: ANYBODY BIN UP TO KETTLE CREEK IN POTTER CO. FLY FISHIN? 2009/06/24 11:16:55 (permalink)
    Those are some big ole hands he got there!
    gipper08
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 14
    RE: ANYBODY BIN UP TO KETTLE CREEK IN POTTER CO. FLY FISHIN? 2009/07/11 21:45:44 (permalink)
    Your'e spot on Paco. Kettle was a big bust this year as far as numbers of fished stocked are concerned. I helped to stock twice this year and about 25% of what was normally stocked was put in, if that much. I don't think they put any trout at Leidy bride for the first stocking, none in the Post Office hole or Pittsburgh hole. These are big holes that can fish lots of people without crowding. There are usually hundreds of fish caught(and released) at the Leidy Bridge the first day, but I didn't see or hear of 10 trout caught. One truckload from crossfork to the dam prior to opening day! They were nice fish but **** few.

"It seems to me that any man that pits his intelligence against a fish and loses, has it coming" - - John Steinbeck
    Jump to: