TOMHANNOCK

Author
New York Yank
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 479
  • Reward points: 0
2009/06/02 22:37:08 (permalink)

TOMHANNOCK

Spent the last couple days fooling around at the Hannock.  Smallmouth bite is on if you can get a spot with shoreline.  Also hooked into a nice LMB in the grass area. Senkos and tube jigs worked. Panfish are plentiful... caught some nice fat hand-sized gills, and lots of annoying rock bass. Can't find the crappie again.
 I'm more into food fishing this year with all the economy problems.
Water levels are way too high, wish they'd start drinking more. 

13 Replies Related Threads

backin79
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1582
    RE: TOMHANNOCK 2009/06/02 22:52:24 (permalink)
    yank,economy is going to get alot worse.. gas prices are shooting up!  i'm into sportfishing and only take what i plan to eat..and i don't think about filling my freezer.. just like a few extra fresh fillets for my family who enjoy a good fry. Yep..the drink be high these days! forecast looks wet especially next week!

stay out of the stock market /big brother is on the take
    ILikePike
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 124
    RE: TOMHANNOCK 2009/06/03 08:14:46 (permalink)
    hey, I've never fished the tomhannock but I've been thinking about getting a permit.
    How is the shoreline??? i've heard different things from different people. Is it bad (overgrown)?? Crowded?? are there many open spots to fish??
    just curious.....
    New York Yank
    Expert Angler
    RE: TOMHANNOCK 2009/06/08 20:15:34 (permalink)
    Pike - It's a hit or miss proposition up there.  Some days it's real good, others you can't find the answer. There is a ton of shoreline, but the high water level makes about 75% of it unfishable.   I can tell you this it's a carp fishing hotspot now apparently.  I met a guy who was actually bivouaced (spellcheck?) in a makeshift lean-to and had huge poles set up for carp. This guy seemed to really know his carp, and he was trying to break the state record (which as you all know is out of the Tomhannock).  He said a guy he knew was coming from like Bulgaria to fish there.  Crazy Bulgarians!
    I can show you a lot of good spots, so PM me if you get your permit. Its good for two years, and you live close enough to make it worth it.

ILikePike
    Avid Angler
    RE: TOMHANNOCK 2009/06/08 21:11:15 (permalink)
    I am going to "try" and get a permit sometime this week. I definately want to get out there and check it out.
    I've heard plenty of stories of 30's and 40's being caught in there,plus there are Mirror Carp in there which i've yet to catch.
    i'm also waiting on some more Method feeders to be delivered, I've lost A Ton of fish in my spot to "The Cabela Tree". A sunken tree that Everyone that fishes down there has lost at least 1 lure on.....
    I'll pm you when i get my permit
    New York Yank
    Expert Angler
    RE: TOMHANNOCK 2009/06/09 08:26:20 (permalink)
    Absolutely do that.  This gentleman I met up there was a local.  I wish I got his name, he was a good guy.  I'm sure he won't mind me taking you to his "Spot".  He had his baits wayyy out farther than I could reach....  he said he had very expensive reels he ordered from England. 
    This spot will be grown over very soon.  Apparently he could cast out to the creekbed.  I fish for smallies not far from there when the levels down, but right now it sucks. I'd say closer to 90% is unfishable.

ALSO BE ADVISED:
    DEET or similar bug dope is a must when at the Tomhannock.  The place is loaded with deer ticks.  The usual precautions, and check yourself everywhere before you get in the car, and when you get home.  Nasty little SOBs.
    Perch Inc.
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 707
    RE: TOMHANNOCK 2009/06/09 10:34:54 (permalink)
    Tommy(the dead sea) has the BIGGEST Black Flies  I have every seen!!!!!!!!!!

Monster PERCH Rulz!!!
    ILikePike
    Avid Angler
    RE: TOMHANNOCK 2009/06/09 18:15:20 (permalink)
    I'm going thursday to get the permit, where exactly do I go????
    do you get it at town hall????
    HookLineSinker
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 322
    RE: TOMHANNOCK 2009/06/09 20:43:13 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: ILikePike

I'm going thursday to get the permit, where exactly do I go????
    do you get it at town hall????

Yep, town hall. Take a left in the building after entering through the front door. Then I believe it's the 1st office on the left.

When hell freezes over, I'll fish there too.
    ILikePike
    Avid Angler
    RE: TOMHANNOCK 2009/06/09 20:57:07 (permalink)
    cool, Thanks!!
    New York Yank
    Expert Angler
    RE: TOMHANNOCK 2009/06/15 09:44:03 (permalink)
    Another good day at the Hannock, bite was fast and furious for about from 6pm to 730 or so, then died off completely by dusk.  Had 9 solid hits and muscled in half a dozen bucketheads. All were in the 3-5 lb range. Didnt catch any on jigs or topwaters, only had one strike on top.
    Neversink Jimmy
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 798
    RE: TOMHANNOCK 2009/06/15 16:53:18 (permalink)
    Sounds sweet, Yank!

In my opinion, it's tough to beat chunky smallmouth in the summer months!  Heavyweight prizefighters!

I've never fished the 'Hannock, but sure have driven past it enough over the years.  it seemed to get bashed pretty good during ice season, with few fish reported.  But now it sounds like a goldmine!

Maybe it is like Snyders...  A real tough customer during the hardwater, but a decent producer in the warmer months when the conditions are right.  Sure seems like "night and day" on the 'Hannock, huh?

Snap a few photos of those bornzebacks, my man!!! 

"I love fishing. You put that line in the water and you don't know what's on the other end. Your imagination is under there" -Robert Altman
    New York Yank
    Expert Angler
    RE: TOMHANNOCK 2009/06/15 23:50:10 (permalink)
    Actually James, these were Largemouths I was pulling out. I have a camera with a busted uploading cable, so I wait til the card's kinda full then make a disk. I do have one from my phone camera I have to photobucket it.
    Just like Hannock, I went back today before the storms hit and got skunked. Obviously something to do with barometric pressure change, but they appear to have been absent or not hungry.
    Hey we have to do some Snyders and Kays brother.
    Neversink Jimmy
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 798
    RE: TOMHANNOCK 2009/06/16 10:15:32 (permalink)
    Oh...  Largemouths?  

They are cool too, I guess...  

Hope we cross paths sometime soon and hit Snyders or Burden, and then grab some pizza and a few frosties...

"I love fishing. You put that line in the water and you don't know what's on the other end. Your imagination is under there" -Robert Altman
    Jump to: