BAD BAD EXPERIENCE!! HELP!!

Author
Ragincajun94
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 47
  • Reward points: 0
2009/05/30 18:52:58 (permalink)

BAD BAD EXPERIENCE!! HELP!!

Well, just had an awful day. We just bought new boards and carpet to replace old boards on trailer. Took it to the local watering hole so son and I could fish for a few minutes while wife and other son swapped them. Here is where the disaster begins. While frustrated with youngest for being unhelpful and clueless I forgot to put the plug in the boat. Hmm...so a few minutes out on the water I remember and start yelling for them to reload the trailer that is now missing one board. Wife quckly puts the board back on without nuts and backs into the water. Not wanting to youngest son with me to get nervous, I tried to load the boat too fast which took several tries. It didn't help that I was getting kinda nervous and was anxious as the boat was clearly filling with water underneath. Finally we load it as the board fell off the trailer. Still the least of our worries as I told the wife to pull us out and forgot to raise the motor. Needless to say we got slightly stuck and motor wouldn't come up. Without any other thought we backed up slightly to lift motor. Now the fin on the bottom of the motor is bent. HELP!! Can it be bent back or what shall we do? Or should we leave it. Haven't taken it for a test drive to see what the ramification on steering is. BAD BAD DAY

[image][/image]

[image][/image]

I always feel more alive when I am throwing my pole into a wet spot.

20 Replies Related Threads

hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6388
    RE: BAD BAD EXPERIENCE!! HELP!! 2009/05/30 19:51:49 (permalink)

man that really sucks..

most likely if you try and bend the skeg back it will snap. I would consult a boat repair shop (or anyone here who may have good info). You may not have any choice but to try and straighten it out. I think if it breaks they sell a replacement skeg you can bolt on, but again consult a repair shop.

I know it's after the fact and I probably would have done just what you did. But if it happens again (forget the plug) . open the compartment inside the boat to access under area of boat and stuff a rag or put the plug (if in the boat) in the drain hole from the inside and start the bilge pump. It should buy you plenty of time to think calmly..

good luck with the motor.

Yea I sold my Ranger , never use it enough anymore, you'll see...
    post edited by hot tuna - 2009/05/30 20:21:48

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen
    REEL FORCE
    • Total Posts : 552
    RE: BAD BAD EXPERIENCE!! HELP!! 2009/05/30 19:58:50 (permalink)
    Like what tuna said - but first get some speed up even if ya have to do circles with the bilge on - this will actually suck the water out - I had a few sinking  experiences and now keep two plugs in the boat . This also might help ya out ...

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?id=0001180011002a&navCount=1&podId=0001180&parentId=cat420002&masterpathid=&navAction=jump&cmCat=MainCatcat21276-cat420002&catalogCode=IK&rid=&parentType=index&indexId=cat420002&hasJS=true

If it is aluminum it might snap - if ya bring it to a a repair shop watch what hey have to say if they want to heat it up to bend it back - it could damage the seals so ask if they damage the seals are they responsible ...

post edited by REEL FORCE - 2009/05/30 20:27:35
    Ragincajun94
    New Angler
    RE: BAD BAD EXPERIENCE!! HELP!! 2009/05/30 20:20:16 (permalink)
    YOU GUYS ROCK!! Thanks for the site reel force. That looks like a great product. And hot tuna, thanks for the ridiculously simple idea that I should have had being the plugs were in the boat and I could have plugged the hole and got the water out after. Wife read what you wrote and laughed at me for not thinking about it. Now, another question, to put that skeggard on, how do I go about cutting off the bent skeg I have now? I do have to cut it off right?

hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    RE: BAD BAD EXPERIENCE!! HELP!! 2009/05/30 20:35:03 (permalink)
    I wouldnt cut it off until you have the replacement in hand and know exactly how much to cut (no more then needed). check your marine shop they may have them in stock for less $$..

hack saw will do a fine job .

REEL FORCE
    • Total Posts : 552
    RE: BAD BAD EXPERIENCE!! HELP!! 2009/05/30 20:36:11 (permalink)
    I would imagine ya would have to cut some of the bent part off ( follow the directions ) or call the manufacture ...

if it is aluminum  I think a hack saw will do ...
    pghmarty
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5951
    RE: BAD BAD EXPERIENCE!! HELP!! 2009/05/30 21:31:58 (permalink)
    If the bend is near the middle of the skeg a welding shop should be able to heat and bend it without ruining the seals or snapping it.
    Be sure to go to a place that works with aluminum.
    A lot of the prop repair shops also repair skegs.
    If you have an Alpha drive it might be best to remove the lower unit, straighten the bend, replace the water pump and seals

I think that the stainless repair kit should be used as a last resort.
    When aluminum and stainless pieces are used together the aluminum will always break before the stainless.
    If you hit a stainless skeg plan on replacing the lower unit

Mr.Jigs
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 352
    RE: BAD BAD EXPERIENCE!! HELP!! 2009/05/30 22:53:20 (permalink)
    Marty is correct, take the lower unit off run it up to the marine shop and have them heat it and bend it back. If you know how to use a cuttin torch you can do it yourself. (only recomended if your skilled with one) but would advise taking lower unit off first even if you take it to get repaired. He is also right about the stainless steel skeg if you hit any thing it will break the aluminum and usualy in a bad way. then its lower unit bying time. I feel your pain though. hope it goes well.
    pghmarty
    Pro Angler
    RE: BAD BAD EXPERIENCE!! HELP!! 2009/05/31 13:56:18 (permalink)
    If you have a short piece of bar stock or 1/2" plate you might be able to use a few heavy clamps and bend it back.

I did this on my Four Winns Alpha
    Ragincajun94
    New Angler
    RE: BAD BAD EXPERIENCE!! HELP!! 2009/05/31 15:16:15 (permalink)
    Have you ever just not wanted to take it to the boat shop and have to be embarassed when the guy looks at it and you know he is thinking....um..you did this huh? "You idiot!" he is thinking.

lol

But I am torn between 53 people responding to the skeggard on cabelas saying it is great and the advice of pros here...don't want to make the wrong decision and have to replace a lower unit, but don't want to do the $$ thing now if it isn't necessary.
    post edited by Ragincajun94 - 2009/05/31 15:30:45

Wisdom
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 374
    RE: BAD BAD EXPERIENCE!! HELP!! 2009/05/31 15:42:46 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Ragincajun94

Have you ever just not wanted to take it to the boat shop and have to be embarassed when the guy looks at it and you know he is thinking....um..you did this huh? "You idiot!" he is thinking.

lol

That is when you say,"**** Wife!!!" and he still thinks your an idiot but you feel better....

A Bad Day of Fishing Beats the Hell Out of a Good Day at Work!!! But work ain't to bad either...flyshack.com
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    RE: BAD BAD EXPERIENCE!! HELP!! 2009/05/31 16:12:31 (permalink)
    I still stick with my first advice, take it to a pro marine shop first. they probably see this all the time so it's no big deal to them.

pghmarty also gave some good do it yourself advice with the bar stock and clamps something in which I would feel comfortable in trying myself. by putting a plate on each side and then clamping the 2 together it should keep even pressure so that it will not cause stress in 1 spot and snap. Heating it up and trying to bend it I would not reccomend. to many seals involved and alum. does not bode well to over heating.

again good luck and talk with a pro, I am just a novice to these things.

kjo43
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 52
    RE: BAD BAD EXPERIENCE!! HELP!! 2009/06/01 09:21:03 (permalink)
    Call Don's Prop Shop in Clayton... he will give you the best advice. Being in the 1000 Islands for 20 years,  I think he's seen it all...

Although the experience sucks, don't feel alone. Everyone's done it - at least once. If they haven't the're either to proud to admit it, or they don't use their boat...
    Ragincajun94
    New Angler
    RE: BAD BAD EXPERIENCE!! HELP!! 2009/06/01 19:17:11 (permalink)
    WOW. Thanks a lot. I called two other prop and skeg repair shops that I found on the online yellow pages only to find them not existing anymore. I just called Don's Prop shop and he was closed but answered and said no problem. I am taking it down on my day off which kills a day of fishin but will give me the piece of mind needed for the rest of the season. Thanks And everyone else, thanks as well for pushing me into the right direction.

Mr.Jigs
    Expert Angler
    RE: BAD BAD EXPERIENCE!! HELP!! 2009/06/01 21:28:51 (permalink)
    Well as for feeling dumb I guess we all do that at one time or another. if you get to feelin to bad just think of sue and burt, I'll leave the rest of name off, lol
    They came to the church bass outing back in 72 in Louisiana had their 14 aluminum boat and 9.9 outboard. great couple just not to bright some how he had gotten gas all over the engine and cause it wouldnt start one of the other church members pulled up beside them and pulled the plug wire holding it to see if it would spark, Burt pulled the cord "SPARK" and the little gas on the engine caught, seen it a hundred times no real danger BUT! some one in another boat Joking called out "IT'S GOIN TO BLOW JUMP!!" splash lmao, burts wife Sue bailed out of the boat. with everyone busting a gut and I mean all 14 boats and 25 or so people she climbed back into the boat and as she stood at the front she demanded Burt return to the bank. now it will never be known if he did it on purpose or not but claimed the throttle stuck. He hit the bank wide open sending his poor wet wife sailing 20 ft through the air skidding to a halt in mud. (we all kept the laughter to a low choking chukle. but they sold their fishin boat the following week and I hear they play golf now. true story I promise.Burt, Susan if by chance you ever see this, I was laughing with you not at you!
    post edited by Mr.Jigs - 2009/06/01 21:31:37
    Ragincajun94
    New Angler
    RE: BAD BAD EXPERIENCE!! HELP!! 2009/06/02 17:53:31 (permalink)
    That just made me bust a gut. Wife wanted to know what was so funny, had to read it to her and laughed again. Thanks for the story.

Ragincajun94
    New Angler
    RE: BAD BAD EXPERIENCE!! HELP!! 2009/06/05 21:48:16 (permalink)
    Well, I took the boat to Don's Prop shop in clayton on Wednesday. $500 and a week and 1/2 away I will get it back. UGH. Wouldn't you know that wednesday and through this sunday are absolutely beautiful days. The best weather in 5 consecutive days since sometime last year. But when I get it back its go time to black lake. I have heard enough about how great it is, now its time to see for myself. I belong to the black lake forum as well and sounds like the fish are plentiful. Thanks again for the help.

pghmarty
    Pro Angler
    RE: BAD BAD EXPERIENCE!! HELP!! 2009/06/06 00:16:30 (permalink)
    I hope that price includes a new water pump if you have an Alpha drive
    Most of the cost in replacing one is the labor and if the lower unit is removed most of the work is already done
    Ragincajun94
    New Angler
    RE: BAD BAD EXPERIENCE!! HELP!! 2009/06/06 07:47:07 (permalink)
    nope. The cost does include refurbishing the prop which you can't really see in the pic but is chewed up pretty good from when I first got the boat and had some learning experiences loading it and hitting gravel etc. So I thought since stainless steel props go for $500 themselves it was a good idea to have it done. That and I didn't take the lower unit off. He will have to have the marine next door do it for him which is included in the cost I hope.

eagleed
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 425
    RE: BAD BAD EXPERIENCE!! HELP!! 2009/06/06 09:19:24 (permalink)
    Ragin:

If you go to Black Lake make sure you get some Bomber "A" Tennessee Shad lures, as my friend from Pennsylvania (goes to Black Lake every year for bass season) says that is the killer lure for Black Lake bass.

Eagle Ed
    Mr.Jigs
    Expert Angler
    RE: BAD BAD EXPERIENCE!! HELP!! 2009/06/06 19:57:29 (permalink)
    Hey I learned a great trick on the Tennessee shad lure. Replace the front treble hook with a trebble hook just one size bigger or even two sizes. you want it to make the lure even buoyancy so when you stop realing or pulling it it stops dead still niether rizing or sinking it just sits still. I have seen it time and time again out catch some one not doing it 3 to 1 or more. also works well with deep diving shadrap. or any time they are following but not quite taking it. 
    Jump to: