mud buddy/go devil mud motor?

Author
frost
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 437
  • Reward points: 0
2009/05/05 23:14:52 (permalink)

mud buddy/go devil mud motor?

I know this isn't a fishing question it's a boating question, but in seeing there isn't a boating forum here I'm going to post here.  I am buying a boat when I return from Iraq.  It has a 60hp jet, but I do a lot of fishing and hunting on pymy, arthur, and wilhelm, so with the 20hp limit I need a kicker.  I was throwing around the idea of a mud motor or regular prop, mainly for the back coves where the lillie pads and stuff are.

So my question for you all, does anyone have any back round with the mud motors?  Looking for info on noise, quality, ect.  I am going to use this boat for fishing/trolling so that's where the noise comes into play.  But would like the ability to run in virtually no water, mud, or weeds especially for the hunting times.  Thanks for the info.

Mark

The worst day hunting or fishing will always be better then the best day at school or work!

6 Replies Related Threads

Split Shot
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 891
    RE: mud buddy/go devil mud motor? 2009/05/05 23:23:26 (permalink)
    THANKS for your Service!

My Wife said, if I go fish'n one more time, she'll leave me! God, I'm going to miss her!
    mikeg
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2533
    RE: mud buddy/go devil mud motor? 2009/05/06 07:52:35 (permalink)
    If you are using it for fishing/trolling than I would not recommend a mud motor. They are slow, loud, and vibrate a lot. With a small kicker you won't have a problem with running in shallower water. If it's too shallow for a kicker than you shouldn't be there anyway. I had a friend whos mud devil broke down when he was really far back into a swampy area. Well, no other boat could get to him so he had to walk it out in waist deep mud. I still laugh at him about that.

For my fishing reports, product reviews, stories, and other nonsense...
    http://bassjunky76.blogspot.com/
    Trap Jaw
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 233
    RE: mud buddy/go devil mud motor? 2009/05/06 07:53:20 (permalink)
    You may get a better response posting this question on Hunting PA.  I have not seen anyone that uses a mud motor for fishing, but I do know there are a few guys that use them for waterfowling.  Just a thought.
    frost
    Expert Angler
    RE: mud buddy/go devil mud motor? 2009/05/06 08:39:41 (permalink)
    yeah thanks, I did post it on there also, just figured that maybe someone on here would have some info also

The worst day hunting or fishing will always be better then the best day at school or work!
    ready2fish
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 787
    RE: mud buddy/go devil mud motor? 2009/05/08 05:54:24 (permalink)
    One thing I just thought of, if you have the 60jet on the transom you may NOT be able to mount the mud motor due to the shape of the transom(riser for jet) and the size of the mud motor. I've owned 2 jons w/ jets, I'm pretty sure neither would have had room for a mud style motor.
    IMHO, find a 20 hp and mount it. Have a couple friends who do that now. Your not going to set any speed or time records getting around but it will work for you.
    frost
    Expert Angler
    RE: mud buddy/go devil mud motor? 2009/05/08 09:22:53 (permalink)
    yeah thats the same response I got from HPA.  I am going to go with prob a merc 20hp and just put a rock/week guard on it.  Im not looking to break speed records just looking to be able to get from one end of say pymy to the other in under a day...lol...  some guys on HPA were saying about going with a 15 or 9.9, but for the weight difference of the 9.9 compared to the 20 (15 and 20 are the same) I would rather have the extra hp.

Plus, the kicker won't be kept on there. I will take it off when not fishing/hunting the 20hp limit lakes or when not trolling the rivers ect.  It's only 115lbs, so it will be easy for me just to take it off.

As far as the "if its that shallow you shouldn't be there anyways" comment, you must not do much duck hunting.  The nastier the swamp, the more the ducks like it.  Gota go where the birds are.  I figured I would just get a push pole in that case tho, I may loose a bit more sleep, but heck, I don't get much anyways come hunting season.

Jump to: