Author
indsguiz
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 6356
  • Reward points: 0
2007/07/25 02:14:26 (permalink)

Colerain Mystery

Gentlemen,
     I'm just hoping someone can tell me how the Colerain Picnic Area on Spruce Creek went from being a state run park & picnic area to being private property.  I haven't been "home" for quite a few years and I was stunned when I went to fish some of the previously Public/state owned areas.   Still can't figure out how a piece of land can go from public to private.  Anyone...  Anyone...  Beuler?

Illegitimis Non carborundum

4 Replies Related Threads

SilverKype
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3842
    RE: Colerain Mystery 2007/07/25 07:49:18 (permalink)
    Indy,

I believe the Glunts have always owned the area that is now posted (SRC).  Rothrock state forest never had any property streamside. 

Because the pulloff road appears to be heavily used and is right across the the road from the picnic area, I'm assuming you thought the stream banks was state land??  It is not.  Sure would be nice if it was.  This area was always heavily used until SRC came to town.  

Remember the term --  "Beaver only leases water that has been posted."  uh huh.

Here's a map. 

http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/Forestry/stateforests/images/roth5.gif

indsguiz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6356
    RE: Colerain Mystery 2007/07/25 09:14:33 (permalink)
    Silverkype,
          Wow!  I had fished that area for Years, and so had my family.  Guess you're right though.  I wonder what the rule is about fishing from state right-of-way  (the bridge)  lol.  Man, families used to use that creek for years.  It sure was a mess when I was down.   As the song says  "You don't know what you've got till it's gone."

Illegitimis Non carborundum
    SilverKype
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3842
    RE: Colerain Mystery 2007/07/25 10:08:25 (permalink)
    There used to be some dandy "REAL" trout in there!!  The deep hole at the stream bend is where I always see them hand feeding.  Wonder if the landowners know that their property is be "littered." -- and that they don't really have to spend money on dogfood.  ha!

You may be able to get away with fishing from the bridge , although it'd likely cost you a few face-to-face confrontations and a trip to court.
    littlejuniata
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 14
    RE: Colerain Mystery 2007/08/13 13:32:26 (permalink)
    No wonder Beaver is so hated in the Spruce Creek valley, he posts public water then takes a swiming area from the public  that has been a destination for local families for decades. 
    Jump to: