and the hits just keep on commin!

Author
Gottumguide
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 106
  • Reward points: 0
2007/07/22 11:20:56 (permalink)

and the hits just keep on commin!

Hit the water Sat morning expecting to find temps went deep after the BIG blow on Fri. Much to our surprise they were still hangin around 100'- So we set up in 120' running the usual 2 spoon -2 fly program - not long and the first salmon was in the net- 105' down on white PT w/ hammer fly- didn't get a chance to put it back downand another rod was thumping away- this was on a spoon run back 30' down 95' - things were startin off great! The radio was goin nutz! I think every boat w/in 2 miles was doin fish at the same rate. After the 1st hour things settled a bit for a steady 2-3 hits per hour- as the day went on the kings slowed but the bts took over. Down speed was best 2-2.5-
I ran dipsys but they really just got in the way- Everytime I ran them the riggers would go- so I ended up puttin them away- some guys on the radio were hitting them on wires out 270 w/ spin drs/mirage fly.
Bry w/ his 1st lake O salmon

Smokey w/ a smoker!

here's a the few we boxed-

Drift boat guiding/chartering the Salmon River/Lake Ontario and since 1990.
NYS guide lic # 1032
www.salmonriverguide.com

6 Replies Related Threads

sudsy1000
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 114
    RE: and the hits just keep on commin! 2007/07/22 12:47:40 (permalink)
    Nice fish.  I've never fished the lake before so just out of curiosity:  Obviously when you pull a fish up from 120 feet in such a short amount of time, it isn't going to survive.  When you catch your limit do you stop fishing or do you just keep fishing and releasing fish that probably aren't going to survive?  I have heard of guys doing releasing air from the fish's ait bladder does that work?

hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6388
    RE: and the hits just keep on commin! 2007/07/22 15:36:05 (permalink)
    sudsy:

through my experience with Lake Trout I can comment on releasing a fish brought up from deep water
    most fish are brought up on a rather slow and steady retrieve.in some cases their bladders still do contain air
    lots of time it will expel on it's own when lifted from the water, you'll hear a "burp"
    i also squeeze (rub) the fish to ensure all air pockets expel
    as for survival: there is a size or slot limit on Lakers so you have no choice but to release them
    i have yet to see one float back to the surface after my release, so i'm going to safely say they were released successful

as for the rest of your question, Gottum would have to answer or add to my comments.

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen
    Gottumguide
    Avid Angler
    RE: and the hits just keep on commin! 2007/07/22 17:28:39 (permalink)
    We rarely fish for lakers to much anymore but beleive it or not the majority of them do survive- usually 1 or 2 out of 30 might belly up but most revive just fine- burping or throwing them up in the air so they land nose 1st at a high rate usually does the trick. We let alot of kings go yesterday and this season, I have yet to see a floater. If the guys want to keep their limit then we're done- if they want to keep a few and let the rest go we fish until there times up.

NYS guide lic # 1032
    www.salmonriverguide.com
    pafisher
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3000
    RE: and the hits just keep on commin! 2007/07/23 11:30:53 (permalink)
    I hope you boat guys leave a few in the lake so that we river guys got something to fish for in Sept! LOL
    Two months and counting......from the lake reports it looks like a BANNER season.
    Gottumguide
    Avid Angler
    RE: and the hits just keep on commin! 2007/07/23 18:10:41 (permalink)
    don't worry- we left as many as we kept

NYS guide lic # 1032
    www.salmonriverguide.com
    salmotrutta
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2132
    RE: and the hits just keep on commin! 2007/07/24 17:28:45 (permalink)

Fun times huh?

Lyrical
    Jump to: