Glade Run crappie

Author
BrookTrout26
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 203
  • Reward points: 0
2009/03/29 16:42:06 (permalink)

Glade Run crappie

I've caught tons of crappie at Glade Run. Nothing of size though. Just wondering if anyone catches and decent sized crappie over there? I've always had luck using minnow 2-2.5 feet under a float. I know you can use a jig under float too. Well just looking for a little info, thanks guys.

Feel free to PM me if you like

11 Replies Related Threads

Fishken
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 85
    RE: Glade Run crappie 2009/04/02 08:29:57 (permalink)
    BrookTrout, are you fishing Glade run in Butler county?If that's the one I also have caught a bunch of crappies there.I know this lake as Glade Mills, why? I'm not really sure, but that's what dad always calls it.Any ways early May they come into the shallows & my 3 girls have a blast catching them & yes they are on the small side, but the kids still make me keep them, big or small they all taste good.I have to wander if they are that small because of their #'s or all the trout stocked compete for their food.Maybe they are over harvested & can't grow big, but I don't think that's the reason why.
    BrookTrout26
    Avid Angler
    RE: Glade Run crappie 2009/04/03 12:45:22 (permalink)
    Glade Mills, that's what I usually call it as well. You're right too. Early May you can't keep those things off your line over there. Small yeah. Throw in the fact that there is such a large population of them and blue gills, I think that stunts the size. I look at it like this. I had a 185 gallon aquarium with 4 pirahna's. All fish grew to the same size and stopped. Got rid of two and the other two grew considerably larger. Kinda make a little sense even though pirahna are a totally diff. fish. Ever notice when fishing a area somewhere where the fishing for the most part is very unproductive....but the fish you catch are def. worth the wait?

It's time to thin them out. Haha.
    PAJohn531
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 43
    RE: Glade Run crappie 2009/04/30 13:52:52 (permalink)
    People have said they have caught Crappie upwards of 14 inches in this lake. I haven't seen one that big. They are all cookie cutter 7-8 inches and really thin.
    Quantumman
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 45
    RE: Glade Run crappie 2009/04/30 14:25:46 (permalink)
    Are there any walleye in Glade Run?

"CATCH 'EM--KISS 'EM--LET 'EM GO"
    BrookTrout26
    Avid Angler
    RE: Glade Run crappie 2009/04/30 14:26:23 (permalink)
    Yeah I've been catching a few decent sized ones. Kept 7 one night, 11 one night and 10 last time out. They hit like crazy, I filleted them all up and turned out to have a good bit to fry up. 
    PAJohn531
    New Angler
    RE: Glade Run crappie 2009/04/30 14:49:36 (permalink)
    I am not 100% sure but I don't think there are any walleye in Glade. Been fishin it for alot years and never heard no one mention walleye or have heard of them being stocked.
    BrookTrout26
    Avid Angler
    RE: Glade Run crappie 2009/04/30 15:17:47 (permalink)
    Actually yes, there were anyways. I'm gonna try and dig up this newspaper pic/article, of a walleye my uncle landed there back in the 80's I believe. It was whopper. I wanna say 26-28 in. long 7 or 8 lb. I'll see what I can round up.
    BrookTrout26
    Avid Angler
    RE: Glade Run crappie 2009/05/29 00:36:06 (permalink)
    Been murdering crappie off this lake. Small fish. 8-10. I'd say an avg. stinger w/ 20 fish about a 1/3 has 10-12 in. fish. You get the occasional 13 or so. But these things are everywhere. Way, way too many fish all the same size. Population needs needs to be reduced. I got 31 crappie, 7 trout and 8 bass at least 10 bluegill (small) Tues. and 27 crap, 4 trout, 3 bass and a bunch of bluegill (small) today. Threw a few crappie out but filleted most. Small sucks but numbers equal out, if you have the time. Haha.

I love to trout fish (fly-fish) but give ALL of them away. If you see me catching crappie and want any trout I catch, you are more than welcome to have any of those stinkin' smelly things. Seen ALOT of nice trout throughout early season over here caught.

Haha. Also seen a MONSTER snapper try to stroll away w/ some guys stringer. He recovered it though. If only it were July 1 for those things.....
    post edited by BrookTrout26 - 2009/05/29 00:38:05
    JT83
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 53
    RE: Glade Run crappie 2009/06/03 06:00:48 (permalink)
    Quantumman,

Before they turned Glade Mills into an approved trout water, there were walleye and musky stocked by the commish.  From what I heard from the old timers there, when they drained the lake to get the eyes and musky out to make way for the trout, there were pretty big pockets of water left that could have contained some fish.  These old timers were pretty convinced that there were some holdovers of both species left in the lake even to this day.  Ive been fishing the lake for over 10 years and have never seen any caught, but I had SOMETHING hit a Rapala glass shad off the pier about 5 years ago that fought just like a musky.  Big runs and boiled the surface a few times.  Obviously I wasnt set up to catch musky and he drug me up and down the pier for about 5 minutes.  He started to feel like he was getting tired and it seemed like I was dragging him in sideways until his belly hit the cement bottom and he took off and snapped my line.  When I brought in the line, there were tooth marks for about 4-5" above the break.  Dont know of any other fish in there with teeth and you can bet if there are musky still in there they are well fed on the stockies.  I bet if someone went there and targeted them, they could hook into a new State Record.  Just my opinion and I know it seems far-fetched and hard to believe, but I call it how I see it.
    PAJohn531
    New Angler
    RE: Glade Run crappie 2009/06/03 11:56:18 (permalink)
    I have been fishing for trout and crappie and have hooked into fish that just took off and couldn't be stop. Of course like you said I had ultra light gear and line. I thought maybe big catfish or carp cause there are a few in there. Never got em close enough to shore to see what they were.
    JT83
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 53
    RE: Glade Run crappie 2009/06/03 23:36:36 (permalink)
    Yeah, Ive hooked carp in there too while fishing for trout...mostly in my younger days of powerbait fishing (I cant believe I just admitted that).  Theyre pretty fun on light tackle especially when you hook into a 20# female during the spawn.  There are also some good channels too.  Neither one fights like this fish did though, and neither leaves teeth marks like I had.  There isnt another fish that I can think of that fights like a musky.  Anyone who has ever caught one will tell you that once you hook into a good one, you will never mistake it for another fish again.
    Jump to: