Striped Bass at night

Author
Last Cast 69
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 127
  • Reward points: 0
2009/03/17 18:00:56 (permalink)

Striped Bass at night

I am gung-ho on breaking that 30 lb mark this year and was considering a few night trips on the Hudson.  I have a 14ft registered boat with a 2002 9.9 johnson. It's a deep v rowboat and very new.  Does anybody forsee any problems with this plan?  Blitz would accompany me, and we would set out the underwater green/white light. With a good anchor and probably the trolling motor as well current should be no problem.  I have never taken this boat onto a big water, just looking for input on my plan. 

7 Replies Related Threads

hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6388
    RE: Striped Bass at night 2009/03/17 19:27:29 (permalink)
    you should be ok, just stay outside the bouys and remember you need bow & stern lights.

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen
    eagleed
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 425
    RE: Striped Bass at night 2009/03/17 19:39:52 (permalink)
    Last Cast 69:

Try fishing just South of the railroad bridge that crosses the Hudson around Corning Perserve.  Fish by the 2nd stanchion support out and allow bait to drift.
    I use an egg sinker (2oz.) with a #2 hook and a split shot just 3' above the weight.  You will lose a lot of sinkers, but stick to the plan and you will be rewarded.  I jig up herring with a 4lb. line and shad darts or small gold spoons.
    Real problem is keeping the herring fresh, so don't stop jigging for them until you have a few in the bait bucket.

Eagle Ed
    bassinbrian
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 902
    RE: Striped Bass at night 2009/03/17 22:20:16 (permalink)
    Like Tuna said, make sure you have the proper lights and stay away from the channel (barges do run at night).
    I would also check the weather ahead of time and pick nicer nights.

Last year we did our first few night trips, one night was like glass, i was laying there staring up at the stars in a sweatshirt. Another night we were huddled in the cabin and the wind was swingging the boat all over the place.

Here's a few night fish ... 2 of our best ones last season hint hint  ... we are definatly planning a few as well this year.

The more we talk about Stripers the more i'm getting fired up boys

post edited by bassinbrian - 2009/03/17 22:21:50
    Neversink Jimmy
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 798
    RE: Striped Bass at night 2009/03/17 22:31:57 (permalink)
    I am getting more and more grateful that I attached that GPS device to the bottom of Brian's truck last month while he was out jigging up smallmouths through the ice.  It's going to be a good summer in Lunkerville, no doubt!

"I love fishing. You put that line in the water and you don't know what's on the other end. Your imagination is under there" -Robert Altman
    Perch Inc.
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 707
    RE: Striped Bass at night 2009/03/18 08:20:44 (permalink)
     Last Cast 69, Welcome to the Site!!! I'm looking to try that Nite Fishing striper thing in a boat!!! I do fish from shore in Troy at nite and have only had a few nice runs!!! But have seen some nice fish laned at nite!! I had a MONSTER hooked last year and it got OFF(broke my leader) I was fishing a lone and  I wasn't sure if I did get it to shore I could land it by my self!!! Any way it was a GREAT Fight!!!!!!! "69" Stop in your intro thread and tell us about your self!!!!

Monster PERCH Rulz!!!
    New York Yank
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 479
    RE: Striped Bass at night 2009/03/20 13:12:14 (permalink)
    You should KILL them at night. I understand they feed voraciously after dark. Make sure your boat has a decent anchor, the current in May can be extremely rugged.  Note from experience: make sure anchor line is actually tied to the wale when throwing in anchor.

Note to our esteemed boated readers:  Anytime you have an extra seat and want company... I'm available at 530am every weekday to fish for stripers, the KING of NY FISH. I'll buy the beer/gatorade/coffee and bring subs or something.  Send me a PM

(OK so they live in Cape Cod, theyre tourists then)
    Neversink Jimmy
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 798
    RE: Striped Bass at night 2009/03/20 13:26:04 (permalink)
    Yank...  I am working on trying to get myself to sleep earlier this time of year so that I can take some shots at Stripers next month before work.  I drive right past ALbany to get to my office, so the Corning Preserve ramp is right on the way.  I trailered to boat to work about three days a week last season.

Ship O'Tools (my Irish name for him), likes to get out there bright and early too, so I am hoping to meet up with him at LEAST a few times.  I have a lot of learning to do this season.  I spent the past year pretending I knew what I was doing, but this Spring I need to buckle down.

I figure I can hammer Stripers on weekday mornings, then crappie at my house on weekday afternoons, and then head north to the mountains on my weekends to chase trout, etc. since the Hudson is such a circus on Saturdays and Sundays in May.

Keep in touch- we should get out there after 'em sometime soon!

"I love fishing. You put that line in the water and you don't know what's on the other end. Your imagination is under there" -Robert Altman
    Jump to: