Musky fishing in Tionesta Lake Outflow

Author
outfortrout
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 123
  • Reward points: 0
2009/03/10 16:24:16 (permalink)

Musky fishing in Tionesta Lake Outflow

I remember visiting this forum some time ago and guys were talking about catching Muskies in the Tionesta Lake outflow.  I've never fished this area nor have I ever fished for Muskies...but I'd like to.  When do they bite best?  What bait seems to work best?  I'd be fishing from shore.  Any help is appreciated.  Thanks.

8 Replies Related Threads

muskefisher
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 108
    RE: Musky fishing in Tionesta Lake Outflow 2009/03/10 23:07:00 (permalink)
    ive fished the outflow a few times.  as far as lures, just throw your regular 6" lures, gliders, jerk baits, bulldawgs, grandma. perch, sucker, or black are good.  i've seen guys catch them on live bluegills.  the biggest muskie i hooked was when I was fishing for crappies at the outflow, and it just tore up my 6# test.  you can also hit the holes down the creek all the way to the river.
    JSHAFish
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 51
    RE: Musky fishing in Tionesta Lake Outflow 2009/03/12 13:05:36 (permalink)
    Have fished the Tionesta outflow for 30+ years. Starting Memorial day the weekends it's heavily fished, camping season. I've never caught a muskie, had a few on don't really fish for them but the ones I've seen caught have been on mostly live bait, local chubs, suckers. Early a.m. during the week is your best bet in my opinion.
    Good luck 
    Don B
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 126
    RE: Musky fishing in Tionesta Lake Outflow 2009/03/12 15:21:26 (permalink)
    That outflow is probably not even a mile long, and mostly shallow, trout-friendly water, and difficult access from the banks because of the thick weeds with the exception of a few small areas. Where it goes into the river, some sort of weird little dam blocks the river musky access to the trout snacks in the outflow.

There are a bunch of muskellunge in the deep lake, from one end to the other. Plenty of areas to fish on foot too with access to very deep water just a cast out. 

Where the outflow creek mini dam spills into the main river, you could fish around that whole island on foot. There's some deep holes near the tip too that you got a real good chance of getting lucky at.

I've fished all those areas by boat, and what I could of the outflow creek by foot, by far for me, the outflow creek was the least productive.
    post edited by Don B - 2009/03/12 15:24:45
    muskie51
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 9
    RE: Musky fishing in Tionesta Lake Outflow 2009/03/12 16:05:04 (permalink)
    Fish there for muskys for 25 years now.and caught many musky there mainly on silver spoons and black bucktails but small cranks and jerks work well.dont forget to throw some large baits in the heat of june there.try the large hole and weed flat below the second bridge.  Mike
    outfortrout
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 123
    RE: Musky fishing in Tionesta Lake Outflow 2009/03/13 11:06:36 (permalink)
    Thanks guys!  Much appreciated.  I currently don't own any Musky gear but I've been thinking about getting some.  Do you use wire leaders?
    trigger
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 64
    RE: Musky fishing in Tionesta Lake Outflow 2009/03/13 16:17:49 (permalink)
    Wire leaders are a must. You also need to have strong pliers,hookcutters and if throwing big rubber baits a pair of jawspreaders. Good luck
    Dream Catcher
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1567
    RE: Musky fishing in Tionesta Lake Outflow 2009/03/13 21:14:24 (permalink)
    You're better off fishing where noone else does . Try tionesta ck up stream from the lake if you must fish those waters . Before or after trout season at that time there's too much forage LOL. Plugs work but the locals swear by using chubs in the deeper holes in mid summer . I personally like to fish for smallies & let the muskies mix in with my fishing . I run a 6" wire leader threaded into a 7" rubber worm with the hook set as far back into the worm as feasible in july - september . You wont catch alot but the opportunity exists . Landed a few lungs . Better yet fish the allegheny from franklin - emlenton my catch ratio is 3X higher there.
    AndyS509
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 157
    RE: Musky fishing in Tionesta Lake Outflow 2009/03/17 13:12:27 (permalink)
    How good is the creek above Tionesta Lake for musky. Always wanted try it out but never got the chance yet.  I always fish the outflow and the creek down to the river. Looking for some new spots to land some musky. Anyone know of other good areas around Tionesta/Tidioute for musky.
    Jump to: