pymy ice out

Author
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 61
  • Reward points: 0
2009/03/09 21:45:37 (permalink)

pymy ice out

wish to avoid the spillway craziness,, I have fished the shallow south side of causeway early,, have noticed guys fishing the causeway opening ,,assuming the current there draws the eyes...? has anyone had success there early on? fished sharpsville this past weekend.. alot of the lake opned up..a few crappies... any info on ice out at pymy? thanx in advance ..

3 Replies Related Threads

CRAPPIE_SLAYER
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1156
    RE: pymy ice out 2009/03/10 12:04:20 (permalink)
    Would say that 90% of pymy was ice free as of yesterday.  Spillway was iced up, but everything else I saw was open.Tried fishing at the causeway with no luck.  Did catch my first open water crappie of the year up toward the north end though.
    eyeball
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 15
    RE: pymy ice out 2009/03/11 12:06:17 (permalink)
    Guys, I want to shoot you straight.  I don't pretend to be an expert on Pymy, however, we have many, many reservoirs in Iowa with the same dynamics and forage.  Here's the nature of the beast:

Pymy is a good sized reservoir, it will take a while for it to warm up and for fish to get on the move.  Water temps hitting and stabilizing for a few days in the 42 degree range will get fish moving up at night to spawn in earnest.  In smaller shallow lakes walleyes hit the rocky shorelines the minute the ice melts and the sun comes out.  Why?  These lakes warm up very quickly.  We have some lakes where guys are catching fish pitching jigs from shore and ice fishing on what's still safe.  Larger deeper lakes are a different animal.  Sure a fragment of the population will move shallow before it's time, but you want to concentrate on the largest segment of walleyes.  You may even get a split in Pymy with 1/2 the fish hitting the causeway a little earlier and the other half hitting the face of the dam after that deeper section warms. 

Until it warms up a bit I would vertical jig or slowly troll leadcore on deep flats adjacent to the dam and causeway area.  Daytime would be good.  After the surface hits 42 degrees and the warmth filters down in the water column a bit you should be able to cast stickbaits or walk troll along the rocks in those two places from dusk to two hours after dark and have good action.  The best part is we get to say by-by to cabin feaver!

eyeball
    www.inlandwalleye.com   
    Big Tuna
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1882
    RE: pymy ice out 2009/03/12 10:39:18 (permalink)
    If you want to avoid the spillway.fish shallow,wade,fish Islands,raps,spoons,jigs,fish night or dusk,also if you have a boat fish every sand bar you can find,I've done very well in past years( when populations where high)on twister tail on the bars. There are very few streams that empty into pymy,so you must fish where there is water movement that simulates some form of current.
    Jump to: