BAY FISHING FOR LARGE MOUTH

Author
spider jig 6
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 2
  • Reward points: 0
2007/07/14 11:32:34 (permalink)

BAY FISHING FOR LARGE MOUTH

HOPE TO GET A OFF IN 2 WEEKS AND DO SOME LARGE MOUTH FISHING IN PI BAY     I HAVE NOT FISHED THE BAY IN A FEW YEARS AND ANY HELP IN GETTING ME STARTED ON FISH WOULD BE A BIG HELP.   I HAVE A SMALL BASS BOAT .       CONDITIONS LIKE WEED GROWTH AND CHANGES IN WATER AND PATTERNS WOULD ALL BE A HELP.       I KNOW FINDING IS PART OF THE SPORT  BUT ANY INFO WOULD SAVE ME TIME ON THE WATER....     THANKS IN ADVANCE.

4 Replies Related Threads

saltydog
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 286
    RE: BAY FISHING FOR LARGE MOUTH 2007/07/14 11:40:50 (permalink)
    do a search of previous posts and you will find more information than you know what to do with.  other than that, just about anywhere on the bay is holding fish.  head of the bay, misery bay, thompsons bay, the marina, the bay itself, over by the pepsi ampitheater, the list goes on and on.  i do really well on rubber worms ( any color, any make) rigged weedless. i fish from shore and do pretty well for myself.
    mikeg
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2533
    RE: BAY FISHING FOR LARGE MOUTH 2007/07/14 13:27:34 (permalink)
    Most of the larger fish will be found in the weed lines close to the drop offs. Working worms "Texas" style will produce more bites. Around the mouth of Marina Lake has been producing some nice fish for us these past few weeks. There are some humps and a good defined drop about 50 yards from the east and west pier.

All along the Pennsula side will produce fish. But most of the larger fish will be deeper.

Along the city side of the bay has been very good lately. Fish the pot holes in the weeds with plastics (Crawfish,worms, etc) and you WILL catch fish. The fish are larger this year. For me, they've been averaging about 2 lbs with some 3-4 lb fish mixed in.

Also, depending on wave conditions, the mouth of Thompson Bay has been very good. Fish it with plastics in work the deep pot holes. When you get out there, you will see what I'm talking about. Just look for the color to change to dark. There are a TON of fish stacked in there.

But one thing is for certain. PI Bay is one of the BEST bass fisheries in the state. If you just work a little to find a pattern, you should find a bunch of hungry bass to keep you busy.

Good Luck and welcome to the board....

-Mike
    post edited by mikeg - 2007/07/14 13:33:36
    FishingMike
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 29
    RE: BAY FISHING FOR LARGE MOUTH 2007/07/14 14:04:14 (permalink)
    Drop shotting plastic worms has caught most of my bass the past couple of weeks. Most of the bass have been located in weeds near deep water, best time seems to be in the morning and evening - night.
    T.T.
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1656
    RE: BAY FISHING FOR LARGE MOUTH 2007/07/14 16:20:53 (permalink)
    Welcome aboard!  You really want to have some fun?  Got a fly rod?  Frog-poppers?  Hit the shallow edges all 'round the Bay, on calm days, and pop your way to bucketmouth heaven.  I've never done it from a boat, but think it would work just as well, if not better.  Good luck.
    Jump to: