Smallies....French Creek vs Allegheny

Author
Creekman
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 81
  • Reward points: 0
2009/03/04 21:43:19 (permalink)

Smallies....French Creek vs Allegheny

Which water do you guys think is best for smallies for size and numbers ?

~Jim~
fishohiocanoeclub.net
We love Pa.

13 Replies Related Threads

acmaul13
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1193
    RE: Smallies....French Creek vs Allegheny 2009/03/04 23:10:57 (permalink)
    Jim,
    Your question is to wide open.Are you talking floating,motor boating,wading?Also what area?I'm assuming in the area that both come together.If so probably the Allegheny better stucture and just plain more water.But French Crick holds more than it's fair share of beautiful smally's.It all depends on how you are going to be fishin.
    Take care God bless and great fishin to ya,
    ac

Creekman
    Novice Angler
    RE: Smallies....French Creek vs Allegheny 2009/03/04 23:16:48 (permalink)
    I usually travel at least 2 1/2 hours with my canoe to get to the Allegheny. If you could go anywhere on the French or Allegheny with a canoe for smallies, where would you pick ?

~Jim~
    fishohiocanoeclub.net
    We love Pa.
    acmaul13
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1193
    RE: Smallies....French Creek vs Allegheny 2009/03/04 23:32:17 (permalink)
    pm sent

ready2fish
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 787
    RE: Smallies....French Creek vs Allegheny 2009/03/05 00:46:35 (permalink)
    The Allegheny has more and larger fish but you have to cover a larger waterway to find them.

French Creek has good numbers but not the size of Allegheny fish. Since French is smaller fish may be easier to locate.

Just my opinion and experience on both waterways of course.
    Estimated
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 191
    RE: Smallies....French Creek vs Allegheny 2009/03/05 07:04:18 (permalink)
    You really can't go wrong with either place there alot different the size factor on the Allegheny makes it harder to find the fish. If you do find the fish you will have a great time cause there are alot of them and they are big. French Creek is like well how should I say this if you want to be in one of the places where there is so much wildlife and and Fish everywhere and not to hard to find then that's your spot there are some big big smallies in there also.............If I go up around that area I fish the river and the creek but I wade most of the time.................Good Luck  
    kayak99
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 526
    RE: Smallies....French Creek vs Allegheny 2009/03/05 09:30:08 (permalink)
    No smallies in French Creek.  When Obama was elected they all packed up and move downstream to the big waters - the Allegheny!   j/k

Either waterway is fine so do both if you have time. French Creek can be fickle and a lot depends on the previous year(s) spawn.  Some years are great, some not so good.

I have a place on the creek but really love the river so if I have a few hours to fish I float or wade the creek, if I have all day I float the river.  I usually catch more fish on the creek but larger on the river. 

fyi, the creek can sometimes get crowded with non-fishing beer drinking floaters and kids on nice weekends and that can distrub your catch so why not float both on the same trip, if your transportation can be arranged. 

You could put in at Sugarcreek (or Utica i f you want a longer day) and go down to Fishermans Cove or even further if you take two days. 

Much depends on your time and your transportation.

Estimated
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 191
    RE: Smallies....French Creek vs Allegheny 2009/03/05 15:21:32 (permalink)
    (fyi, the creek can sometimes get crowded with non-fishing beer drinking floaters and kids on nice weekends and that can distrub your catch so why not float both on the same trip, if your transportation can be arranged. )

Sounds Like the Youghiogheny River
    Creekman
    Novice Angler
    RE: Smallies....French Creek vs Allegheny 2009/03/05 22:40:56 (permalink)
    I don't remember a trip in the last 3 years on the Allegheny that we haven't boated smallies better than 19". I like fishing for the bigger fish and we usually get fish in the 20"s on the Allegheny. I like numbers but size is the draw in our quest. I'm sure there are some 6lb + smallies on the French, isn't there ?

~Jim~
    fishohiocanoeclub.net
    We love Pa.
    kayak99
    Expert Angler
    RE: Smallies....French Creek vs Allegheny 2009/03/06 09:29:46 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Creekman

I don't remember a trip in the last 3 years on the Allegheny that we haven't boated smallies better than 19". I like fishing for the bigger fish and we usually get fish in the 20"s on the Allegheny. I like numbers but size is the draw in our quest. I'm sure there are some 6lb + smallies on the French, isn't there ?

Yes, French Creek has some large fish, but they are fewer and more difficult to find.  If it's strictly size you seek, stick to the river.
    ready2fish
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 787
    RE: Smallies....French Creek vs Allegheny 2009/03/06 10:11:52 (permalink)
    I'd love to see a 6# fish from either waterway. With that size your talking Lake Erie like fish. Actually, last years numbers of 3-4 pound fish was high, if we get good river conditions through the spring and summer for another year more and more of 5# plus fish may be seen.
    The largest I have seen was a 5# (weighed on a certified scale)a few years ago. I caught a 4.77 (also weighed) at a tournament, both of those fish came from up North. The largest bass I've seen come out of the river was a largemouth caught down near Emlenton, it weighed 9.5 lbs. I have a polorid pic of that fish, wish I could post it, it was an absolute toad.

Back to original topic, I agree with kayak99. I've caught my fair share of really nice fish on French but the Allegheny holds far more of those nicer fish.

On another note, the earliest I've had success with large fish was April 9th a few years ago. I have an area on the Allegheny where the fish will move up from wintering depths (18-22 feet) and hold at about 10-14 feet. It's cool to catch them right after they move up, they still have little black leeches attached to their bellies from sitting tight to the bottom.

We're not too far off from that period! If water conditions stay fairly good and the river does not blow out from rain, I'll be giving it a go soon!
    post edited by ready2fish - 2009/03/06 10:20:05
    kayak99
    Expert Angler
    RE: Smallies....French Creek vs Allegheny 2009/03/06 19:37:45 (permalink)
    Creekman, I think it was you asking about camping on the river in another post.  If so, have you seen these maps of the river?  They don't show the islands you can camp on but they do show other primitve campgrounds along the waterway.

http://www.fish.state.pa.us/watertrails/alleg/alleg_map4.htm

http://www.fish.state.pa.us/watertrails/alleg/alleg_map5.htm

P.S.  I've never seen a 6 lb smallie on either waterway either.  Caught between 3 & 4 lbs but those were probably the largest.  (I rarely weigh my catches.)
    post edited by kayak99 - 2009/03/06 19:41:00
    Creekman
    Novice Angler
    RE: Smallies....French Creek vs Allegheny 2009/03/06 21:36:13 (permalink)
    That's the map we use. That's one of the best river maps I've seen online for any river. Thanks for the info guys, we'll put it to some good use.  We weighed 1 over 5lb. out of the Allegheny 2 years ago, my wife caught it.
    We throw some huge topwaters and have had some dandies on there.
    post edited by Creekman - 2009/03/06 21:37:06

~Jim~
    fishohiocanoeclub.net
    We love Pa.
    Don B
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 126
    RE: Smallies....French Creek vs Allegheny 2009/03/09 13:20:27 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Creekman

I'm sure there are some 6lb + smallies on the French, isn't there ?

No.Those fish are a 3 hour trip for you. 
    Jump to: