Running 4 dipsey rods??

Author
Triple B
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 90
  • Reward points: 0
2007/07/10 19:54:41 (permalink)

Running 4 dipsey rods??

Looking for some technical advice in regard to running two dipsey rods out each side of the boat.  I've got the rod holders set up and 9' and 10' rods for each side.  I'll obviously run a 3 or 3.5 setting on the outside and a lesser setting a shorter distance back on the inside.  Question is when I take a fish on the outside rod do I have to reel in the short rod before resetting the outside or can I safely run it back out on the outside of the short rod?  Would it help to run a big dipsey on the inside and a med.on the outside?  Any advice on how to set these up to avoid problems?  Thanks.

TB

4 Replies Related Threads

Trap Jaw
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 233
    RE: Running 4 dipsey rods?? 2007/07/10 20:41:14 (permalink)
    If you let the outside one out as fast as it will go they will get tangled.  But if you let the outside rod out and stop 20 feet less then what the inside is set at and let it dig for a few minutes and then let it back you shouldn't have a problem.  Personaly, I run my outsides at 3.5 and the insides at 1.5.  I have talked to guys that run three out each side.  Probably set at 1, 2, and 3, or something like that.  I just think that would be a FUBAR, and if I want to run more then four rods I throw out the boards.
    eyesandgillz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4012
    RE: Running 4 dipsey rods?? 2007/07/11 09:17:43 (permalink)
    Running 2 a side shouldn't be a problem and 3 is certainly possible and done all the time by charters.  When starting the day, let the outside one at 3 or 3.5 setting out first (probably obvious).  When fishing, if we would get bit on the outside dipsy, after landing the fish, I would move the inside dipsy back to one of the rigger rod holders pointing straight back out the transom to give me a little more working room.  Get your outside dipsy set and let it out SLOW....keeping tension on it will keep it planing out to the side.  We usually ran one side at 3.5 and 1.5 and one side at 3 and 1 and if one worked more than the other, we would switch the other side up.  Also, before I set the short dipsy back into its main rod holder, I would give a couple gentle, short tugs and watch the outside dispy line.  If they are tangled, 9 times out of 10 you will see the other one bounce, especially if you are running spectra or braided wire line.  If they are tangled, release and reel in the one you just set and try again.  Having the driver maintain a straight course while setting the lines also helps a lot.  Good luck. 
    Storm Warning 2
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 583
    RE: Running 4 dipsey rods?? 2007/07/11 14:12:50 (permalink)
    At times we will run 6 divy rods.  High monos on the outside, way back, usually 3.5 settings anywhere from 135 to 185 back.  Braids inside of the monos on 3.5 setting, usually from 90 to 135 back (both these sets are for Erie), and wire divers inside braids set at 1.5 and distance back depends on fishing walleye/steelies on Erie or Salmon on Lake O.  Several things to keep in mind:  Distance back on monos and braids are dependent upon each other and dependent upon how deep in the water column fish are suspended, the braid gets deeper much faster than the mono, don't discount the mono, many days that outside divy produces the most and biggest fish of the day.  Many days that mono divy will produce the largest and most steelies.  I like to set my wires above my deepest rigger and below my highest rigger on each side (we run 2 riggers) and are obviously a lot further back.  My high mono outside rods are 10.5' long, Braid rods are 9.5', and my wires are 8.5' rollers.   
    Carpet Bagger
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1834
    RE: Running 4 dipsey rods?? 2007/07/11 16:16:19 (permalink)
    3.5 Let it back very very slow stopping it along the way to get it to plane out away from your other lines...  Even if it takes you 5min to get that rod set without a tangle it is WORTH IT!!...

3.5 on the outside 1.5 on the inside at 20-25ft shorter than the 3.5.

Its pretty easy to run 2 per side.

CB
    I never thought I'd say this, but I love my Sport-Craft!
    Jump to: