Boat motor question - don't want to highjack other thread...

Author
Porktown
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 9692
  • Reward points: 0
2007/07/10 19:46:57 (permalink)

Boat motor question - don't want to highjack other thread...

On the new boat thread, there was mention that a 25hp motor would not put a 18.5' aluminum boat on plane.  I am in the market for a 16'er.  I had assumed that getting a 20hp would get me moving a good bit more than a 9.9.  Would a 20hp get a 16' aluminum boat on plane, how about a 9.9?  I'd imagine that every motor is not made equal, and some 9.9s are really stronger than other 9.9s, as well as some 20's are not really 20.  The market seems to be very favorable to the 9.9 buyer, which may be where I may go, since I have a limited budget.  Would this be something to consider, or something that I'd regret?  Any suggestions on ones to favor over ones to stay away from.  Anyone know of a good magazine, web site, ect. for the novice buyer to get some good research?  I do enough boat watching and dreaming, that I thought this process would be much more simple and enjoyable!!! 

5 Replies Related Threads

Triple B
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 90
    RE: Boat motor question - don't want to highjack other thread... 2007/07/10 20:02:57 (permalink)
    I'd say it depends a great deal on the boat.  My boat for small lake fishing is a 16' Lund Rebel.  The 9.9 with two people comes up OK.  Won't set any speed records but if you move the front person to the center it'll go.  I also have a 25hp on that boat and it'll come up with about any load.
    *commander*
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2647
    RE: Boat motor question - don't want to highjack other thread... 2007/07/10 20:09:29 (permalink)
    never heard any regrets from anybody that bought the bigger motor. many regrets from people that bought the smaller motor and wish theyd have bought the bigger motor.
    Trap Jaw
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 233
    RE: Boat motor question - don't want to highjack other thread... 2007/07/10 20:18:35 (permalink)
    It all depends on how much the boat weighs...  A 9.9 on your standard 16 foot aluminum will push it just fine, but if you have a 16' fiberglass like I do a 9.9 is only realy good for a kicker.  The problem is that today bigger is better.  My buddy just bought a 21' Chris Craft that only has a 115 on it...  You don't find that size of a boat new with less then a 150, usually more like 175-200.  Guess what, the 115 pushes it just fine.  It's not just the size of the motor but how it is prop'd.  If you get a 30hp that is prop'd for a light 16' aluminum and drop it on a heavier 16' fiberglass it won't move.  If you drop the prop down a pitch or two that same set-up might fly.

My two cents, a 20-30 hp motor(with the right prop) would push a 16' boat fine, you won't set any speed records, but it will get you where you want to go.  If you have concerns contact a dealer.  I don't know if they still do but I found a service manual for mid 70's mercs that had tables for different motors right in it.  Boat size, boat weight, prop pitch and estimated speed.  When I checked out the specifics on my boat it may have been off a few miles an hour, but not much.  I had heard that they didn't have those anymore but it's worth checking out.  If they are still out there the dealer should be able to tell you within a few minutes how different motors will push your boat.
    pghmarty
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5951
    RE: Boat motor question - don't want to highjack other thread... 2007/07/10 21:15:49 (permalink)
    The prop will make the biggest differance on weather a boat will come up on plane.
    Find a dealor that will let you test drive a prop or buy used ones then resell ones that dont work. I did this and probably only lost selling fees and shipping expense.
    A stainless prop will even make an improvement on a small engine but there will be more damage to the lower end if you hit something.

My 420+ HP will not plane with the wrong prop on my Checkmate.
    I spent over $5,000 on props to find 2 I liked.
    27p 4 blade needed a Chineese firedrill to get on plane-everyone to the bow.
    A 24P Bravo 3 blade was eratic in handling.

26p 4 blade Mach Patriot was fair

25p Mirage is good but but allows engine to over-rev a little
    27p Lab Cut Mirage is good for top end but no hole shot, Cost about $1000

MuskyMastr
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3032
    RE: Boat motor question - don't want to highjack other thread... 2007/07/11 08:51:00 (permalink)
    My small boat is a 17' sylvan.  an older 25hp johnson will plane it out with 1 adult and a kid.  2 adults or more and it won't plane.   A newer 25 would probably do the trick, but is about the minimum for planing speed.

Better too far back, than too far forward.
    Jump to: