New Boat Questions?

Author
Lovgren69
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 245
  • Reward points: 0
2007/07/10 11:21:50 (permalink)

New Boat Questions?

I currently have a 16'4" Princecraft deep-v aluminum boat w/15 hp mercury and I'm soon to be upgrading to a larger boat.  The boat(s) that I'm looking at buying is a Tracker Targa 18.5 ' Deep V.  The boat will be mainly used for fishing.   It appears that they offer many power options for this boat, although it comes standard with a 90 hp. merc. 2 stroke.  I had a few questions to the folks out that fish lake erie and or other inland waters--
1)  Would this type of boat be suitable for fishing lake erie?
2)  Is 90 hp enough motor for a boat this size, or would I be better off upgrading to a 115 hp or 150 hp?
3)  Does any one have experience with tracker boats--I've looked at alot of other manufacturers, Triton, Alumacraft, Mirrorcraft, G-3, etc, but it seems like the Tracker comes nicely equiped and laid out for what I am looking for.
4) Size for kicker motor?  Since I will also be using the boat to fish the horsepower restricted lakes, could I get away with a 25 hp, or should I just stick with a 9.9 or 15 hp?

Any advise or recomendations would be greatly appreciated--Thanks

13 Replies Related Threads

mikelravy
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 163
    RE: New Boat Questions? 2007/07/10 11:51:35 (permalink)
    IMHO Tracker boat packages are always underpowered.  A 9.9 will push the boat easily at hull speed, around 7 mph.  A 25 won't put the boat on plane so offers no advantage over the 9.9.  I would also recommend the Minn Kota Autopilot bow mount upgrade. 
    eyesandgillz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4012
    RE: New Boat Questions? 2007/07/10 12:04:43 (permalink)
    Definitely get the most power on the back for your main motor that you can afford.  If you are getting a model with a full windshield, I'd get a tall bimini top so you can stand up under it and stay out of the sun and get a partial cover for your bow for the choppy days out on the lake.  If you can cover off that front, you can shed a lot of water in the rough stuff and still not worry about swamping.  I don't think the trackers have self bailing cockpits but I could be wrong.  A 9.9 high thrust would probably be adequate for a kicker and keep you legal (without extra stickers or a new motor cover) for Pymatuning if you ever decide to fish it.  Depending on its weight, a 25 may be able to barely get you on plane but you still won't be legal on the restricted lakes and you would draw suspicion even if you had the right motor cover. 
    Carpet Bagger
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1834
    RE: New Boat Questions? 2007/07/10 12:09:47 (permalink)
    id be lookin at close to near max HP on that...if its 175 look at a 150 package.  If its 150 look at a 125...merc power is probaly the easiest to get serviced so i probaly would consider them just for maint. reasons.

You will never regret a 9.9 four stroke kicker....
    post edited by Carpet Bagger - 2007/07/10 12:11:26

CB
    I never thought I'd say this, but I love my Sport-Craft!
    storymaker
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 46
    RE: New Boat Questions? 2007/07/10 16:39:35 (permalink)
    If the motor has the proper pitch prop you'll have no problems with the 90...I used to think like all the others that have already posted; go close the the max HP for your rig, but after buying my new rig I'm impessed by the performance you can get out of a properly pitched motor. I have a 22' chris craft scorpion with a 115 mariner and have no problems. Tops out at 35mph and gets on palne very quickly....with substantially better fuel economy than a bigger motor. I was out Sunday w/5 passengers in heavy seas still had no problems.
    ShutUpNFish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3834
    RE: New Boat Questions? 2007/07/10 17:44:39 (permalink)
    As far as boats are concerned, you have low end, middle of the road and high end with aluminum boats.  No offense, but Trackers are cheaper and have always been cheaper and there is a reason for that.  You get what you pay for.  As for the Targa however, I believe they are one of Tracker's best models...with the all welded aluminum hull design.  They look great and the storage seems pretty good.  The people I've talked to with them, are satisfied.  As far as the motors go....Tracker packages always seem to put motors on that are just under what you would really want.  I'd certainly go with at least a 115 h.p. on the 18.5'  And a 9.9 kicker would safice just fine for what you want to do with it.  With a 25, there are still lakes around that you would not be allowed on such as Pymatuning.  Finally, I would definitley recommend a 4 stroke for your kicker.....they are a little more money, but well worth it, I assure you.  I have a Honda 9.9 on my Smoker Craft and I absolutley love it...no fumes, little vibration, very quiet, fuel efficient, no oil to mix and reliable as heck.

Best of Luck with your purchase and chioces...If you're a serious fisherman, buying a boat to fit your needs could be stressful.  However, once you get into the boat and set it up just the way you want,  it will bring many memorable moments.  With that size of boat on Erie, as with any size boat on Erie, just be sensible, safe and watch the weather very closely.  Good Luck!   
    post edited by ShutUpNFish - 2007/07/10 17:49:08

17targa
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 47
    RE: New Boat Questions? 2007/07/10 19:38:22 (permalink)
    I just bought a used 17.5 tracker targa with the 75 hp motor. I am very satisfied with the tracker. The boat will run about 30 mph and I feel fairly comfortable and safe on the lake. We had it out sunday in about a 2 to 3 foot waves with no problem. I would feel a little weary taking it out in anything more because I am fairly new to boating. I also plan on adding a 9.9 kicker next year. Hope this helps.
    Lovgren69
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 245
    RE: New Boat Questions? 2007/07/10 19:59:45 (permalink)
    Thanks for the information guys.  I obviously have alot more researching to do before I purchase a new boat, but it's tough finding one that can do everything I would like it to do.  95% of the manufacturers don't list their prices, so that doesn't help!  I don't want to have to call 10 or 15 different dealers just to get prices.  I like the fact that Tracker list all their models costs and prices with the options included.
    The 18.5 Targa baseline price is 19,995, but with the 150hp-2 stroke mercury you're up to to 23,000 or so.  I would consider getting the 115 hp 4-stroke, but uncertain there since it costs more than the 150 hp. 
    I really don't have the money to afford a 25,000 boat, (I could finance one for that money, although preferably I wouldn't want to do so) I'm looking
    more in the 20,000 range.   I haven't ruled out getting a used boat, but haven't had much luck finding anything a whole lot cheaper than buying new.  
    Anyways, I appreciate the feedback--I welcome any other insight you guys might be able to provide me with.  Take care  
    *commander*
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2647
    RE: New Boat Questions? 2007/07/10 20:26:48 (permalink)
    a few phone calls or visits to some dealers could save you $1000's. leftover boats, leftover motors, boats people ordered and didnt go through with the sale.
    Trap Jaw
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 233
    RE: New Boat Questions? 2007/07/10 20:35:55 (permalink)
    Lovegren,

Look at Starcraft's.  6 months ago you could not have paid me enough to step foot in an aluminum boat.  I have heard way too many "horor stories" about aluminums leaking and having all sorts of problems.  Storymaker and I went to the Buffalo boat show and talked to a Starcraft dealer out of Tonawanda.  In a mater of 15 minutes he changed both our minds.  But did have warnings about welded aluminum hulls.  Besides the Starcraft's are a really slick looking boat, set up strictly for fishing.  I was, and still am, contemplating buying one.

BTW, the only reason that I haven't outright bought one yet is becasue they incresed the height on the transom so that my 1971 80hp merc won't fit on them.  That's all that I would plan on having on that size of a boat.  Anything bigger and all you hear is an ominous sucking sound comming from your gas tank, especially when gas is 3 bucks a gallon.
    *commander*
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2647
    RE: New Boat Questions? 2007/07/10 20:44:28 (permalink)
    imo starcraft does make a nice boat. these boats are made in the same plant as starcraft. basically like buying a ford vs. a mercury. www.monarkmarine.com

never saw the "Sport" model but i have seen the "King" model. nice boat. also compareable to the Targa is the G3 "Angler." the monarks are welded, the G3's are riveted.

imo go 4-stroke on both motors. extreeeemely quiet and use barely any fuel.
    post edited by *commander* - 2007/07/10 21:03:00
    pghmarty
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5951
    RE: New Boat Questions? 2007/07/10 20:59:48 (permalink)

ShutUpNFish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3834
    RE: New Boat Questions? 2007/07/10 21:52:16 (permalink)
    I think you'd be much further ahead if you do some shopping and find a quality used boat.  You could potentially get a whole lot more for the money you're looking to spend.  Just pay close attention to how well kept they are.  You can generally tell when a boat has been well taken care of or not.  And ask the seller a lot of questions and you will get a feel if the guy is honest or not or has really taken care of his vessel.  When I bought my Smoker Craft, the guy made me take my shoes off before getting into the boat, he also had all manuals and maintainence records and a bunch of extras to go along with the boat like spare props, safety equip, etc.  If you are dead set on an aluminum, some of the more quality manufacturers, in my opinion are as follow:

Lund
    Starcraft
    Princecraft
    Sylvan
    Lowe
    Smoker Craft
    Alumacraft
    Crestliner

In no specific order and I could possibly be missing a few.

Good Luck

MuskyMastr
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3032
    RE: New Boat Questions? 2007/07/11 08:49:02 (permalink)
    My opinion is that used is the way to go.......I bought with a bad motor knowing that I would repower it the boat was cheap and now I have a reliable motor on a nice boat for much less $$$$...
    The my big boat is fiberglass and I love it for erie, because I only have to tow it about 2.5 mile to get to walnut......It would suck if I had to tow it any further on a regular basis (and I tow with a suburban)  Aluminum is the way to go for any towing distance.  My little boat is a 17' sylvan..  Sylvan makes a great boat and is definitly worth checking out, along with alumacraft.

Better too far back, than too far forward.
    Jump to: