Lure Color

Author
blackmousie
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 11
  • Reward points: 0
2007/07/09 21:27:04 (permalink)

Lure Color

Do you guys have a couple go to colors for harresses, plugs & spoons?   How about Dipsy Color?

26 Replies Related Threads

jaymztrain
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 101
    RE: Lure Color 2007/07/09 22:18:54 (permalink)
    i like fire tiger dipsy's. harness's i use copper blades w/orange beads or silver blades w/ red beads. from what i hear about every color works. good luck!
    sstaz69
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 314
    RE: Lure Color 2007/07/09 22:21:42 (permalink)
    The best luck I have had ( which hasent been the greatest) is anything with purple. Other colors have produced but nothing like purple for me.
    RELAYER
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 465
    RE: Lure Color 2007/07/10 10:11:56 (permalink)
     Dipsys and Harnesses watermellon,watermellon,watermellon nuff said.
    Carpet Bagger
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1834
    RE: Lure Color 2007/07/10 10:38:59 (permalink)
    I have made you a believer Gary!...

Watermellon is a TOP Producer, but there are some other private stock colors that i cannot talk about...lol

CB
    I never thought I'd say this, but I love my Sport-Craft!
    Katty
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 169
    RE: Lure Color 2007/07/10 11:01:44 (permalink)
    WHY NOT !
    eyesandgillz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4012
    RE: Lure Color 2007/07/10 12:14:50 (permalink)
    Your box should include black and purple, firetiger, green and black, black and silver and orange and silver in a variety of spoons, plugs and harnesses.  My go to spoons used to be green and black and dark purple and black pro king spoons with glow ladder backs and red eyes.  The walleye and steelies ate them up.  Another go to bait was deep and shallow diver rainbow trout pattern bombers, storms and rapalas.  Thank all the steelhead smolts for their success, I do believe.  On the harnesses, you can use Berkley gulp natural 7" worms instead of live crawlers and do just as well.  I also add stinger hooks to all my harnesses.
    blackmousie
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 11
    RE: Lure Color 2007/07/11 21:15:54 (permalink)
    Alot of good info. Should get me started. Thanks
    treefrog20045
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 54
    RE: Lure Color 2007/07/11 22:13:29 (permalink)
    Black dipsys.
    Carpet Bagger
    Pro Angler
    RE: Lure Color 2007/07/11 23:04:30 (permalink)
    I know guys who use the black dipsys just to put color out of mind...lol to me the dipsy color is about the last thing im worried about....Im more worried about speed and depth of what i am running.

If i had to choose dipsy color watermellon, firetirer, red and black would be my choices....

CB
    Storm Warning 2
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 583
    RE: Lure Color 2007/07/12 12:01:10 (permalink)
    I don't know carpet bagger, there are a lot of times certain combos of dipsys and spoons/harnesses that seem to work best.  Hot combos for us are 'melon divys w/ 'melon harnesses or spoons.  Another fav, especially early in the year is pretty much any flashy hot spoon or melon harness behind a metallic blue dipsy.  Last year on several trips we couldn't get a fish to hit a dipsy set up unless it had a metallic blue dipsy in it.  There is no doubt that speed and depth are ABSOLUTELY critical in any presentation, especially when fish are suspended in a narrow band of the water column. 

Must have color spoons:  Blueberry muffin/Andy's walleye slapper (purple/black/red,pink), Kevorkian (Hot Rod if DW), Watermelon in about any brand and/or variety, Dirty white boy, blue and/or green dolphins, double orange crush, Naughty Natalie (nasty custom spoon on silver NK 28 blank, with pearl backdrop, black and orange ladderback tape), Natural Born Killer (NBK), Monkey Puke, Mixed Veg-e-tables, Goldie Hawn/Hawg Wild and Die Hard is good as well.  General rule #1:  Darker on cloudy days, murkier water, Bright on sunny days, clearer water.  General Rule #2: General rule #1 doesn't ALWAYS apply.       
    Carpet Bagger
    Pro Angler
    RE: Lure Color 2007/07/12 12:26:14 (permalink)
    LoL my fish count speaks for its self....as far as the metallic blue dipsy goes...i dont even own one...last year was probaly the easiest year of fishing we have had in 10 years...i never caught so many fish...Everybody did well last year....

Depth and speed are 100X more critical to catching fish than the color of your dipsy.....I use watermellon, Firetiger, and Red and Black primarily everyday with a mixture of harness colors on each...you dial in the speed and depth on your baits i dont care if you have black dispsy with brown harnesses, or an orange spoon you are going to catch fish...

You dont need every color of dipsy just go by the KISS method.  Keep It Simple Stupid and you will be fine...fish are dumb and react instinctivly...pull something across their nose they are bound to jump on it.

CB
    Storm Warning 2
    Expert Angler
    RE: Lure Color 2007/07/12 15:08:30 (permalink)
    That's the fun part about fishing summer Erie 'eyes.  Most of the time you are right!

I do recall a day last August when we were fishing about 2 miles west of a buddy that was hammering fish and we weren't.  After some discussion on the cell phone, a change to a purple dipsy and a Andy's Walleye slapper Super Slim, damage was done, very quickly!  We only had 1 purple dipsy on board at that time and ran the same spoon on the same rig minus the purple dipsy and only caught three, while the purple dipsy/spoon rig was ON FIRE! 

Talk to some of the guys on Ontario about their favorite combos.  It is always a certain dipsy, flasher/fly combo.  They do NOT deviate.  I understand that it is a different fishery, but I think it is the concept that we need to pay attention to.  Sometimes, ever so slight changes in presentation can be the difference between a good day and a great one.  Fish can be fickle.

EX.  Our metallic blue dipsy program had been working for a week or two and we hit a deep water "dip" in the trench over towards Ashtabula where the 68 to 70 fow transition is closer to shore than any other place along about 7 miles of shoreline, We couldn't keep 4 lines in the water, let alone our alloted 8.  4 limits of 'eyes in 45 minutes...TOTAL CHAOS.   
    post edited by Storm Warning 2 - 2007/07/12 15:09:21
    Carpet Bagger
    Pro Angler
    RE: Lure Color 2007/07/12 15:45:24 (permalink)
    And you really think those limits came due to a mear metallic blue dipsy?  No other reason?...while you were catchin them on metallic blue did you think...i wonder if this dipsy were red if it would work?...did you rip off the dipsy and change color to check just to be sure...i bet not...i bet you were happy catchin fish and didnt care.  it was working so why even bother....Chances are you just were pulling that dipsy at the right depth and speed and it wouldnt have mattered if it were any color it would have been productive.  I bet there were others on the lake that day pounding the walleye who dont even own a blue dipsy...

As far as one rod catchin the fish and another not...or one rod on one side of the boat doing all the work...that is a DIRECT speed issue...one side is pulling harder than the next.  Also some dipsys are lighter than others thus causing some of them to dive deeper than others (not ALL size 0 dipsys weight the same).  Theres a bunch of issues that can be addressed here but the color of a dipsy diver is definatly not one of them....It is not the matter of limiting or not limiting by any means...

I am strictly a walleye fishermen of the great lakes that is all i fish for and want to fish for.  A dipsy is a tool allowing you to achieve depth and plane your bait away from the boat...it is also an attractant. 

I am very consistant and very anal about my worm harnesses and rods and reels but not very particular about my diver color...they all work...Black, Purple, Green, Blue, Watermellon, Red, Copper, Silver, Firetiger...pick your posion...they all catch fish and i have never ever noticed a difference between catch rate of one color dipsy to the next.....i have my favorites and they dont change much...

Yes guys of ontario do not deviate...they have what works for them...would something else work...most likely...it is all about what you are confident in using.  Guys always talk to me about black and purple harnesses...i still never run them...why because i just never got confident with them ive used them, caught fish with them...but never really liked using them...so i stick to my guns that have always worked and is still working today....

Last year was like i said the easiest walleye fishing i have ever seen on Lake Erie.  Nothing mattered, find the fish, run your rods, fill the cooler...

Storm i understand that some days one thing may work better than another but to over analyze catch rate due to the color of a dipsy diver i would have to think you are endorsed by luhr jensen...lol

I know charter caps that run all black dipsys and NEVER change...same with watermellon and fire tiger...one color...on the entire boat...and they catch close to 1000 fish a year...
    post edited by Carpet Bagger - 2007/07/12 15:53:24

CB
    *commander*
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2647
    RE: Lure Color 2007/07/13 00:16:22 (permalink)
    CB, are we to ASSUME you'll be entering the tourney in august in the pro division?

no, i will not be attending the tourney as i know my limitations and dont stand a snowballs chance in heck, but with your prior posts it seems you should have no problem winning the tourney. 
    post edited by *commander* - 2007/07/13 00:20:23
    Carpet Bagger
    Pro Angler
    RE: Lure Color 2007/07/13 09:27:55 (permalink)
    Negative.  Tourneys are not my thing...I have never entered a tourney on erie...lol i am fairly extreme enough just fishing for fun...lol i might just blow my lid with cash on the line...

Fishing is just fishing, and i love it.  But i never really got into tourney fishing...there are alot of good fishermen in erie and im fairly certain the charter guys have the pro division all wrapped up...

I like catching big fish, but that never is a concern of mine as to just catchin fish. Ill probaly be fishing that day.  But it will not be in the tourney.  I will leave that to the pros.

I am not the best at this, nor am i the worst.  I was simply tryin to give some advice to someone who obviously is just starting to outfit for dipsy divers.  I thought simplfying the advice giving him some basics would be much better than confusing the information telling him he needs 4 of every color dipsy luhr jensen makes in all sizes.
    post edited by Carpet Bagger - 2007/07/13 11:49:12

CB
    Carpet Bagger
    Pro Angler
    RE: Lure Color 2007/07/13 09:32:15 (permalink)
    mt

CB
    ShutUpNFish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3834
    RE: Lure Color 2007/07/13 09:57:04 (permalink)
    Over all the years, I've learned that all those fancy lure colors and patterns attract the fishermen more than they actually attract the fish.  I have to admit though, I do fall victim to to owning and buying tons of variety just to feel prepared for anything, but generally stick to the basics....bright colors on bright days, dark colors on dark days.  Thats been pretty productive for me thus far.

pghmarty
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5951
    RE: Lure Color 2007/07/13 11:51:05 (permalink)
    I have at least 9 jars of power bait.
    Every time I ask what is hot I end up buying the flavor of the week.
    Sherbert seems to work good I probably only need it and maybb red.

I have at least 15 probably 20 Jitterbugs
    Red/white, black and frog in at least 3 sizes.
    A few yellow and other colors plus some jointed ones.

I now use a lage mechanics tool box to store my extra lures, line reels etc. at home.
    My 2 large plano boxes,3 medium boxes,tackle bags and cooler/tackle bag are stuffed.

Yes it is all about attracting fishermen.

mikelravy
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 163
    RE: Lure Color 2007/07/13 13:03:09 (permalink)
    I've seen many occasions where only one color will get bit.  Enough for me to believe that at least some of the time color matters.
    MuskyMastr
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3032
    RE: Lure Color 2007/07/13 13:54:22 (permalink)
    My personal opinion is that color does not matter, BUT certain colors are definitly more visible during certain conditions and this can change constantly (light water and weather conditions change by the minute if you really pay attention).  I have found that certain colors outfish others (for walleye and musky which both use sight as a major component of thier feeding pattern)  Some days chartruse outfishes watermelon or the famed blueberry muffin or monkey puke 10 to 1 and the next day on the same location the opposite is true. 

Better too far back, than too far forward.
    dublvision
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 99
    RE: Lure Color 2007/07/13 21:28:23 (permalink)
    Trout stinger, Trout T-stick, Trout bomber, Trout harness (blue,pink,black dots, s/back).  Walleyes love em and so do the slimers.......

Perch Stinger, works very well,but I have yet to find a Perch plug that works well for me.
    Storm Warning 2
    Expert Angler
    RE: Lure Color 2007/07/14 19:42:47 (permalink)
    Come on 'Bagger, get in the tourney in August.  You'll love it!  There are a few on the Storm that weren't crazy about it, then we did it and now can't wait for the 2nd weekend in August.  Great way to meet new people that are as nuts about fishing as we are and even learn some new tactics. 

ie  One of the pro boats last year got his limit of eyes in 25 fow early to go deep in search of chrome by speed burning at 3.7 mph over that 25 fow.  I didn't know you could troll for eyes that fast! 
    Carpet Bagger
    Pro Angler
    RE: Lure Color 2007/07/15 21:25:27 (permalink)
    It is a possibility i might join in on the tourney storm...however its not written in stone....plans are flip flopping at the moment that may only make it possible for me to be there one day that weekend, but nothing is out of the question...Might see my name on the boat list....but nothing is a definate at this point...

CB
    Brad1
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 338
    RE: Lure Color 2007/07/16 05:35:08 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: mikelravy

I've seen many occasions where only one color will get bit.  Enough for me to believe that at least some of the time color matters.

Me too. One particular day last year, my only line that was catching fish was the one with the chartruse dipsy and pearl stinger. On the other side of the boat, the line with the same settings (dipsy setting and ft back), but different dipsy color and lure, wasn't catching anything. I switched that line over to chartruse dipsy and pearl stinger and that line got bit before I could even put it in the rod holder.

Brad1
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 338
    RE: Lure Color 2007/07/16 05:52:07 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: ShutUpNFish

Over all the years, I've learned that all those fancy lure colors and patterns attract the fishermen more than they actually attract the fish.  I have to admit though, I do fall victim to to owning and buying tons of variety just to feel prepared for anything, but generally stick to the basics....bright colors on bright days, dark colors on dark days.  Thats been pretty productive for me thus far.

lol. I know what you mean. Even though I don't use 'em on Lake Erie, I have had many good days on other bodies of water (the rivers and pymatuming) trolling the smaller sized Hot n' Tots. When they got bought out a few years ago, and switched to the plastic lip, I started frantically buying the original metal lipped smaller Hot n' Tots where ever I could find them. You wouldn't believe what I was paying on Ebay for the gold with flouresent orange back color. I wanted to make sure I had some to sustain me through the rest of my life. Now you can find them everywhere and at the original price. Oh well.  

It has crossed my mind that when it comes to lures (well, boats and fishing for that matter), I might have a problem that requires counseling.
    *commander*
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2647
    RE: Lure Color 2007/07/16 20:09:09 (permalink)
    did the same thing. good thing is i never have to buy another bagley or storm lure again.

color sure mattered today. started with 2 lines of watermelon harnesses and 2 lines of purple and black harnesses. ended the day with 4 watermelon harnesses off of green and chartreuse large dipsys. did not keep track but dipsy color didnt seem to matter. same setups off the side and back of the boat and purple and black produced 0 fish.
    Jump to: