The Past, Present, and Future of Pymatuning Walleye

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
Big Tuna
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1882
  • Reward points: 0
RE: The Past, Present, and Future of Pymatuning Walleye 2011/04/23 20:49:40 (permalink)
Fingerlings is the way to go,theres billions of perch in this lake from less than inch to 14 inches and those little perch can make a easy meal out of those fry. As for a limit change Pymy and Mosquito have always been a put and take lake and it got pounded in the 70's and 80's and still produce limit after limit,if both Pa. and Ohio keep putting fingerlings in every year the lake it will be fine and legal fish should be taken out to let the others grow.The key is to not over populate them to the point that they don't have enough food to grow,as may have been in the past,when I could troll tots and get 40 fish a dat to get my limit of 15 -17 inch fish,and through the ice 45 fish a day where not unheard of but maybe 3 or 4 where over 15 inches.Its a story that I like ,I'm glad to see a turn around and hope it keeps going strong in the future.
Billy35Litt
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 45
RE: The Past, Present, and Future of Pymatuning Walleye 2011/04/24 19:24:35 (permalink)
I don't think they should change anything in the lake as far as limits go.  Just keep doing what they are doing are fine with me!!!  It sure is exciting to see it come back to life up there.

Wading Pymatuning and Presque Isle since '85.
SmMouthSeeker
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 541
RE: The Past, Present, and Future of Pymatuning Walleye 2011/04/24 19:56:30 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: Big Tuna

Fingerlings is the way to go,theres billions of perch in this lake from less than inch to 14 inches and those little perch can make a easy meal out of those fry. As for a limit change Pymy and Mosquito have always been a put and take lake and it got pounded in the 70's and 80's and still produce limit after limit,if both Pa. and Ohio keep putting fingerlings in every year the lake it will be fine and legal fish should be taken out to let the others grow.The key is to not over populate them to the point that they don't have enough food to grow,as may have been in the past,when I could troll tots and get 40 fish a dat to get my limit of 15 -17 inch fish,and through the ice 45 fish a day where not unheard of but maybe 3 or 4 where over 15 inches.Its a story that I like ,I'm glad to see a turn around and hope it keeps going strong in the future.

Billy, Good job taking notes. I got more out of your notes then if I was there.

Big Tuna, you're right. I've said that all along. Fry's are nothing more than fish food. If they let the fingerlings  grow to about 5 inches, the less predators will feed on them.

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to: