Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Billy35Litt
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 45
  • Reward points: 0
2009/02/18 15:09:03 (permalink)

The Past, Present, and Future of Pymatuning Walleye

Anyone going to this?  It's a seminar in Pittsburgh this week held by Matt Wolfe.

32 Replies Related Threads

walleyenut
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 40
    RE: The Past, Present, and Future of Pymatuning Walleye 2009/02/18 18:19:05 (permalink)
    Make sure you give him you're input, like raising the legal length to 18 and 3 fish per day. If people would limit their catches the lake would come back strong. 
    FINSIMIN
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 33
    RE: The Past, Present, and Future of Pymatuning Walleye 2009/02/18 18:23:27 (permalink)
    WHY IS THIS IN PITTSBURGH ???? make to much sense to have it by the lake itself ?
    Skip16503
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4028
    RE: The Past, Present, and Future of Pymatuning Walleye 2009/02/18 18:30:21 (permalink)
    Not saying its so but just maybe they don't want any input??????????  

small fry
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 7
    RE: The Past, Present, and Future of Pymatuning Walleye 2009/02/18 18:52:45 (permalink)
    You would think they would have it at the Linesville Hatchery.
    bubbaman
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 239
    RE: The Past, Present, and Future of Pymatuning Walleye 2009/02/18 19:46:44 (permalink)
    maybe they are trying to get it away from the locals ?
    phishfearme
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 232
    RE: The Past, Present, and Future of Pymatuning Walleye 2009/02/19 10:09:25 (permalink)
    i would bet that there's one whole hell-of-a-lot more people who fish pymy within 25-30 miles of pittsburgh than there are within 25-30 miles of the lake.

phish
    dealinsteel
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 318
    RE: The Past, Present, and Future of Pymatuning Walleye 2009/02/19 10:39:41 (permalink)
    It's at the Outdoor Show, so there's the reason why it's in Pittsburgh....anyone know who Matt Wolfe is??  He works for the OH DNR. Glad they went to sources outside of PA for a PA show. 
    post edited by dealinsteel - 2009/02/19 14:09:55
    Billy35Litt
    New Angler
    RE: The Past, Present, and Future of Pymatuning Walleye 2009/02/19 14:11:19 (permalink)
    It wasn't very long, but very informative.  I actually liked this Matt Wolfe guy.  He seemed liked he wasn't a fill in.  Many people asked questions, even the heckler behind me, and he had decent answers and he didn't seem to blow smoke.

He started the presentation by describing "Old Pymatuning".  Those of us who fished back in the late 80s, early 90s know exactly what he talked about.
    - Population dominated by small walleye.
    - It took longer for the walleye to grow because of the amount of walleye and not enough feed.
    - Catching 100 fish in a day, but only catching 5 legals.

I agreed with everything he had to say about "Old Pymatuning".

He then described "New Pymatuning".
    - Populated by larger, legal, older (and wiser) walleye.
    - They grow faster because of limited number of walleye and an abundance of feed.
    - The heavy fishing and not replacing the walleye could wipe out all walleye from the lake.

The next part of the presentation asked why this could happen.  He stated the reasons that most of us post about here on the forum.  He stated that most of the reasons they heard about, they had no control over.

- Temperature, but they have no control over it.
    Matt is an Ohio guy, so he compared Mosquito Lake often.  They tracked the temperatures at Mosquito and Pymie and they are both very close.  Mosquito has a higher catch rate than Pymie, so temperature doesn't appear to be the problem.  Some guy asked him about oxygen levels, but he said it was all compared to similar measurements from Mosquito.

- Fish Community changed, but they have no control over that.
    The bluegill and crappie population are booming right now, the best in years.  He mentioned that the perch are everywhere, but there are thousands of 1-2 inch perch.  This came up again later in the discussion.

- Lake Fertility decreased, again, they have no control over this.
    The lake fertility is down, but it is average among other similar lakes (Mosquito Lake).  Zoo plankton is down.  Someone asked about the regulation on fertilizing crops and also sewage runoff.  There are tighter regulation on these and I guess it changed the water quality.  It's cleaner, but not neccessarily better for fish.  Go figure.....

- Obviously, fry stockings are not working.  They do have control over this.
    They average 22 million fry in that lake a year, as much as 40 million fry a year.

This is when it got interesting.  He stated the obvious, fry stockings are no longer working in this lake.  Again, he compared Mosquito Lake.  They stock 2 million fry in Mosquito Lake every year, but they have a very high survival rate.  He mentioned that historically, fry have a history of not surviving in lakes at one point or another.  They have no explanation, but Pymatuning isn't the first lake this happened to.

The fingerling topic came up at this point.  He showed all kinds of charts with how many walleye were detected through a 20 year period and what the size were.  Early 90s, the chart showed several walleye, but not too many big ones.  Today's chart, it showed very big walleyes, but not many of them.

He mentioned how the walleye population steadily dropped since 2000, bottomed out in 2005 with zero walleyes detected.  In the late 80s, early 90s, they detected 2 walleyes per minute.  In 2007, they detected .07 walleye per minute.

They decided to try stocking fingerlings in Spring of 2008.  They stocked (he stressed both PA and OH are working together on this) 586,000 fingerlings (50/50 by each state) and 4 million fry.  They marked these fish, some crazy chemical that marked their gill plate or something) and here are the results.

In the fall of 2008, they caught 300 walleye.  Of those, only 3% was from the fry stocking.  Another 3% came from natural reproduction.  94% came from the fingerling stockings.

They are cautiosly excited about these results, but are not out of the woods yet.  They plan on stocking 600,000 fingerlings this Spring and continue to do so each year until the lake population is up again.

He brought up the perch population again.  He said you could fill 5 gallon buckets of 1 inch perch in seconds.  He feels these fish are eating the fry.  But, when these walleyes establish, there will be an abundance of feed in that lake for the walleye.  Which means, they will grow faster the first couple years.

But, be careful.  They are expecting a big catch of sub legal walleyes this year.  And bet your money that they will be watching what is take from the lake.
    Billy35Litt
    New Angler
    RE: The Past, Present, and Future of Pymatuning Walleye 2009/02/19 14:15:31 (permalink)
    He also mentioned carp.  Carp don't harm the other fish much at all.  He did say the spillway was a good thing because if the carp don't get fed there, they will swim the rest of the lake looking for other sources of food.  Feeding the carp will keep most of them in that area.

Someone asked about a bird species eating fish?  I never heard of the name before, so I wasn't able to write it down.  Matt said that most of those birds are just passing through.  They become a problem when they are colonized.  That's not an issue at Pymie, yet anyway.
    Billy35Litt
    New Angler
    RE: The Past, Present, and Future of Pymatuning Walleye 2009/02/19 14:20:10 (permalink)
    Someone asked about this.  Matt said that they do this in lakes that are naturally reproductive.  Pymatuning is a put and take lake, meaning the fish they put in are expected to be caught.

Kind of like trouts in the streams.  They are stocked to be caught, period.

Natural reproduction is down in Pymie anyway.  The bottom is no longer gravel, because of the lake aging.  This is a problem in most of the lakes in this area. 

ORIGINAL: walleyenut

Make sure you give him you're input, like raising the legal length to 18 and 3 fish per day. If people would limit their catches the lake would come back strong. 
    Billy35Litt
    New Angler
    RE: The Past, Present, and Future of Pymatuning Walleye 2009/02/19 14:23:19 (permalink)
    The presentation showed numbers on this as well.  Most of the fisherman at Pymatuning are from PA and are 70+ miles away.

Pittsburgh is 90 miles away.  My house is 76 miles away.

ORIGINAL: phishfearme

i would bet that there's one whole hell-of-a-lot more people who fish pymy within 25-30 miles of pittsburgh than there are within 25-30 miles of the lake.

phish
    dealinsteel
    Expert Angler
    RE: The Past, Present, and Future of Pymatuning Walleye 2009/02/19 14:23:37 (permalink)
    Thanks for posting that Billy35Litt, that sounds similar to what Woomer and Johns were saying at the MMA meeting.  The population has started to make a slight comeback from the stocking this year, which were detected by the dye they used for tracking.  Hopefully they'll watch the places that are known for violations and keep an eye on what's leaving the lake.  Did anyone ever mention a higher size limit (18")?  I know I mentioned a slot limit and Woomer said that's for management of a specific size.  And I thought well isn't that the point, get all of the fish under that size protected??  Thanks again.
    Billy35Litt
    New Angler
    RE: The Past, Present, and Future of Pymatuning Walleye 2009/02/19 14:34:39 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: dealinsteel
    Did anyone ever mention a higher size limit (18")?

Some mentioned slotting.  It was towards the end of the presentation, so it was hard to follow with all the noise.  What I got was slotting the size doesn't really matter because they stock it every year and if you increase the size, you will have a log jam at certain sizes.

If you fished in the early 90s, remember all the small walleyes being caught?  If they increase the size limit, it would take even longer to catch a legal.

They determined 15 inches was a good size to keep the fish moving out of the lake to make room for the next stockings.

As long as they keep pumping fish into this lake and they live slotting won't improve it anymore than stocking it each year would.
    dealinsteel
    Expert Angler
    RE: The Past, Present, and Future of Pymatuning Walleye 2009/02/19 14:40:35 (permalink)
    That's why it's their job and not mine ;)
    Steeler Fan
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 297
    RE: The Past, Present, and Future of Pymatuning Walleye 2009/02/19 20:34:59 (permalink)
    Nice report on what is taking place.  I also suggest to watch out for the officers.  I am a little closer, I llve 75 miles from the launch at Manning.

Billy35Litt
    New Angler
    RE: The Past, Present, and Future of Pymatuning Walleye 2009/02/20 09:42:31 (permalink)
    The birds in question were comorants.  They aren't much of a problem if they are passing by, but if they start to colonize and claim Pymie Lake as their home, it could turn into a problem. 

That was my interpretation at the seminar.
    pgh_flytier
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 249
    RE: The Past, Present, and Future of Pymatuning Walleye 2009/02/20 11:17:44 (permalink)
    Thanks for taking the time to share that with us. Its always interesting to hear what is really going on.
    mikeg
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2533
    RE: The Past, Present, and Future of Pymatuning Walleye 2009/02/20 15:06:48 (permalink)
    Billy,

Thanks for all the info, and you have one good memory!

For my fishing reports, product reviews, stories, and other nonsense...
    http://bassjunky76.blogspot.com/
    Billy35Litt
    New Angler
    RE: The Past, Present, and Future of Pymatuning Walleye 2009/02/20 15:26:33 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: mikeg
    you have one good memory!

I wish.  I took notes because my dad wasn't able to make it.  I figured I'd share it on here because there seems to be a lot of people who think they have all the answers.

We should all sit back and pay more attention to the people who run the lake, instead thinking we run the lake just because we are able to throw a line in it once in a while.
    walleyenut
    New Angler
    RE: The Past, Present, and Future of Pymatuning Walleye 2009/02/20 15:37:52 (permalink)
    Thanks for the report Billy. I can still remember in the early 90's that I couldn't get more than 3 tip ups in without a flag. I hope the lake returns to its former glory. 
    mikeg
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2533
    RE: The Past, Present, and Future of Pymatuning Walleye 2009/02/20 16:21:17 (permalink)
    "a lot of people who think they have all the answers"

Really? You think so? [insert sarcasum here]

For my fishing reports, product reviews, stories, and other nonsense...
    http://bassjunky76.blogspot.com/
    Split Shot
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 891
    RE: The Past, Present, and Future of Pymatuning Walleye 2009/02/22 01:23:27 (permalink)
    Billy, Thanks for the Great report. I was interested buy didn't go to the Show.

My Wife said, if I go fish'n one more time, she'll leave me! God, I'm going to miss her!
    walleyenut
    New Angler
    RE: The Past, Present, and Future of Pymatuning Walleye 2009/02/22 08:47:34 (permalink)
    Well I hope they figure out something on that lake. I fished from 10 am till dark yesterday and caught a few dink perch.  The only place I have any success with walleye this year is Kinzua, guess I will spend my time up there.
    post edited by walleyenut - 2009/02/22 08:50:10
    Billy35Litt
    New Angler
    RE: The Past, Present, and Future of Pymatuning Walleye 2011/04/21 15:10:45 (permalink)
    An interesting read. I attended a Outdoor Show in Pittsburgh in 2009. I read this again and it's spot on with what is happening right now. Pretty cool stuff.

ORIGINAL: Billy35Litt

It wasn't very long, but very informative.  I actually liked this Matt Wolfe guy.  He seemed liked he wasn't a fill in.  Many people asked questions, even the heckler behind me, and he had decent answers and he didn't seem to blow smoke.

He started the presentation by describing "Old Pymatuning".  Those of us who fished back in the late 80s, early 90s know exactly what he talked about.
    - Population dominated by small walleye.
    - It took longer for the walleye to grow because of the amount of walleye and not enough feed.
    - Catching 100 fish in a day, but only catching 5 legals.

I agreed with everything he had to say about "Old Pymatuning".

He then described "New Pymatuning".
    - Populated by larger, legal, older (and wiser) walleye.
    - They grow faster because of limited number of walleye and an abundance of feed.
    - The heavy fishing and not replacing the walleye could wipe out all walleye from the lake.

The next part of the presentation asked why this could happen.  He stated the reasons that most of us post about here on the forum.  He stated that most of the reasons they heard about, they had no control over.

- Temperature, but they have no control over it.
    Matt is an Ohio guy, so he compared Mosquito Lake often.  They tracked the temperatures at Mosquito and Pymie and they are both very close.  Mosquito has a higher catch rate than Pymie, so temperature doesn't appear to be the problem.  Some guy asked him about oxygen levels, but he said it was all compared to similar measurements from Mosquito.

- Fish Community changed, but they have no control over that.
    The bluegill and crappie population are booming right now, the best in years.  He mentioned that the perch are everywhere, but there are thousands of 1-2 inch perch.  This came up again later in the discussion.

- Lake Fertility decreased, again, they have no control over this.
    The lake fertility is down, but it is average among other similar lakes (Mosquito Lake).  Zoo plankton is down.  Someone asked about the regulation on fertilizing crops and also sewage runoff.  There are tighter regulation on these and I guess it changed the water quality.  It's cleaner, but not neccessarily better for fish.  Go figure.....

- Obviously, fry stockings are not working.  They do have control over this.
    They average 22 million fry in that lake a year, as much as 40 million fry a year.

This is when it got interesting.  He stated the obvious, fry stockings are no longer working in this lake.  Again, he compared Mosquito Lake.  They stock 2 million fry in Mosquito Lake every year, but they have a very high survival rate.  He mentioned that historically, fry have a history of not surviving in lakes at one point or another.  They have no explanation, but Pymatuning isn't the first lake this happened to.

The fingerling topic came up at this point.  He showed all kinds of charts with how many walleye were detected through a 20 year period and what the size were.  Early 90s, the chart showed several walleye, but not too many big ones.  Today's chart, it showed very big walleyes, but not many of them.

He mentioned how the walleye population steadily dropped since 2000, bottomed out in 2005 with zero walleyes detected.  In the late 80s, early 90s, they detected 2 walleyes per minute.  In 2007, they detected .07 walleye per minute.

They decided to try stocking fingerlings in Spring of 2008.  They stocked (he stressed both PA and OH are working together on this) 586,000 fingerlings (50/50 by each state) and 4 million fry.  They marked these fish, some crazy chemical that marked their gill plate or something) and here are the results.

In the fall of 2008, they caught 300 walleye.  Of those, only 3% was from the fry stocking.  Another 3% came from natural reproduction.  94% came from the fingerling stockings.

They are cautiosly excited about these results, but are not out of the woods yet.  They plan on stocking 600,000 fingerlings this Spring and continue to do so each year until the lake population is up again.

He brought up the perch population again.  He said you could fill 5 gallon buckets of 1 inch perch in seconds.  He feels these fish are eating the fry.  But, when these walleyes establish, there will be an abundance of feed in that lake for the walleye.  Which means, they will grow faster the first couple years.

But, be careful.  They are expecting a big catch of sub legal walleyes this year.  And bet your money that they will be watching what is take from the lake.

Wading Pymatuning and Presque Isle since '85.
    eyesandgillz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4012
    RE: The Past, Present, and Future of Pymatuning Walleye 2011/04/22 09:51:37 (permalink)
    Thanks for digging it back up. Sure seems to be spot on....which bodes well for Pymy's future.
    rapala11
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6218
    RE: The Past, Present, and Future of Pymatuning Walleye 2011/04/22 10:11:45 (permalink)
    yep

Icefisherman52
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 74
    RE: The Past, Present, and Future of Pymatuning Walleye 2011/04/22 11:33:37 (permalink)
    This report shows just exactly what has happened to the lake, if they continue to stock massive amounts of fry they will be eaten. I'm glad they finally admitted to their mistake of putting the alwives in the lake but its too late to get rid of them so only good sized fingerlings will survive now.

Post-Gazette report:

Anglers may soon be looking at a very different fishery at Pymatuning State Park.

Pennsylvania Fish and Boat Commission biologist Craig Billingsley said an alewife explosion in the 17,000 acre Pymatuning Lake is creating such a shortage of emerging "keepers," he may recommend new walleye regulations or resort to stocking species that fare better with alewife, such as a hybrid striper.

"It may get to the point where we're forced to," he said, "and it could be as soon as next spring."

Alewife are putting a double whammy on walleye, Billingsley said. Not only do they compete with walleye fry for plankton -- in short supply this spring, because of cold, wet weather -- adult alewife also feed on walleye fry.

The same scenario occurred the past two years. Just why alewife are thriving now is a mystery, Billingsley said, but studies at other lakes where the same situation has occurred indicate that lakes don't always recover.

"This year was like the dead sea," said Bill Blangger of Monongahela and a Pymatuning regular who said he caught nothing on his last five trips to the lake this summer. Last spring, the few walleye he did catch were big.

Alewife, sometimes called false herring, are anadromous, meaning they can live in saltwater and freshwater. Though fragile, especially when handled as bait, in big numbers they can have a staggering effect on a fishery.

Despite a stocking this spring of 21.5 million walleye fry -- 10 times the usual number -- young of the year surveys recently completed showed poor survival. Before the alewife boom, just 2 million to 4 million walleye fry produced some of the best year classes ever, Billingsley said.

A cold winter might put a dent on the alewife population, said Billingsley. "The guys in Erie say they can correlate good walleye years with years the alewife died off."

He also plans to stock 20 million walleye next spring but to grow them to double their usual size before planting them, a move he called experimental. And he's exploring whether to begin stocking other species.

"A few years ago, hybrid stripers got loose from the hatchery at Linesville and did quite well," he said. Smallmouth bass thrive on alewife, too, and a healthy number showed up in the recent fall survey. Numbers also were excellent on muskie, perch and black crappie.

"The perch are getting to be 13 inches and the crappie, nine and 10 inches, which means next spring should see good sizes," Billingsley said.

Because one-quarter of the lake is owned by Ohio, there is no season limit on any species, and Billingsley said imposing a walleye season would have little effect. But new creel limits might improve the walleye population. He has suggested increasing the minimum size from 15 to 16 inches, provided three of the six fish allowed per day were under 16 inches, and three, over.

"When the big year classes come on, guys could thin out the 14 inchers and the rest would go into the upper size limit," he said.
    post edited by Icefisherman52 - 2011/04/22 11:37:43
    wolf
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 36
    RE: The Past, Present, and Future of Pymatuning Walleye 2011/04/22 11:56:43 (permalink)
    whatever
    Billy35Litt
    New Angler
    RE: The Past, Present, and Future of Pymatuning Walleye 2011/04/22 11:58:28 (permalink)
    If the walleye population was significant, the alewives will be food.  Just like the abundance of panfish.

The lake's population changed over the years and if we want our walleye fishery back, the numbers have to switch back to walleyes.

I wouldn't be surprised if the day came where fry will be more prone to survive, once the panfish vs walleye numbers fall back in favor of the walleye.

Wading Pymatuning and Presque Isle since '85.
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to: