Salmon fishing in October

Author
fishin_fool
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 1
  • Reward points: 0
2007/07/09 10:16:20 (permalink)

Salmon fishing in October

I need some advice from those who have been fishing the Salmon River for sometime now.
I will be returning to fish the Salmon River for the first time in 15 years or more.  When I was making the 6 hour trek to Pulaski on a yearly basis, we were treating our trip similar to that of a hunting trip.  Now that I have hopefully matured alittle, I am searching for the correct rod and reel set up for this year.
I am not a fly fisherman and probably only get the opportunity to fish maybe 6 or 7 times a year locally, mostly stocked trout and smallmouth bass.  So I am by no means a avid fisherman, rather an outdoorsman who fishes alittle.
My biggest concern is that my old salmon gear is more like a big stick with rope and large hook. 15 yrs ago we were snaggin'.  What I am looking for is the set up that will allow me some success and not be the guy who wishes he had the guy's next to him equipment.
I hope this makes sense and truly hope that some one has some good advice....thanks

5 Replies Related Threads

JeffL
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 45
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6388
    RE: Salmon fishing in October 2007/07/09 17:32:08 (permalink)
    i tend to like the 8'6" rods
    gives you a bit more flexibility for other species such as cats,stripers even bass in a pinch
    to me this is a good bargain

http://www.fishusa.com/Okuma-AvengerConnoisseur-Salmon-Combo_p.html?i=SS10AU5GGVP69NNF2SJ0D6R4JDSHFAM9

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen
    salmotrutta
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2132
    RE: Salmon fishing in October 2007/07/09 18:10:26 (permalink)
    I'm afraid I can offer no personal opinions as I am all fly rod/fishing, but the other guys know what they're talking about.
    post edited by salmotrutta - 2007/07/09 18:58:08

Lyrical
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6388
    RE: Salmon fishing in October 2007/07/09 18:32:15 (permalink)
    agreed about fly fishing with Salmo:
    if you could i would suggest trying a fly rod on kings and early>late steelies
    the fishing is usually close and fish will strike flies well
    folks tend to over cast when using spinning gear

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen
    pafisher
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3000
    RE: Salmon fishing in October 2007/07/10 00:10:20 (permalink)
    Fishing Fool,that rig that tuna brought up looks like a good choice.
    Good to hear that you are coming from the dark side and decided to FISH for these great game fish.Use the same method that you use when fishing for trout,that is get a natural drift with only enough weight to get your fly in the strike zone,near the bottom.Rig your reel with 14# line attach a black barrel swivel then tie a four foot tippet (10#) to the swivel and add weight to tippet just below swivel.You can fish flies with a spin rig,glo bugs,sucker spawn,nympths,etc. or just buy a couple jars of jensen eggs in different colors.It all works if you present it correctly!
    Jump to: