weighted flies question

Author
anchke
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 157
  • Reward points: 0
2009/02/04 20:01:58 (permalink)

weighted flies question

I have a question about the point at which adding weight to a fly causes it to flip -- i.e., ride in a shank down, hook up position.

I've been tying some weighted flies -- a variation of the wooly bugger using rabbit fur instead of marabou. Of course, the muddler is suited to weighting, because it retains the same profile flipped or unflipped.

But now I'd like to tie some weighted muddler minnows, a fly meant to ride shank up.

Does anyone have a rule of thumb as to how much or where weight can be added before a fly flips?

Hope this question makes sense. Thanks in advance.

17 Replies Related Threads

KJH807
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4863
    RE: weighted flies question 2009/02/04 20:20:28 (permalink)
    weighted chain/dumbell eyes...

flytierwon
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 115
    RE: weighted flies question 2009/02/05 13:10:42 (permalink)
    First tie in your tail incorporating the butt ends to keep the the body uniform.
    Note:  This is crutual when not  adding lead to keep your tinsel body uniform, if not done this way you will end up with a bump where the tail was trimmed short and the tinsel will tend to fall off as you wrap forward.

Wrap your lead, in this case, I'm using .030 on a Daiichi 1750 size 6 hook

Using Uni Stretch, yarn, or substitute to cover the lead to smooth it over. When applicable, this would also help prevent discoloration of dubbings. Another technique would be to coat with head cement or clear nail finish.

Tie in your tinsel. Here I'm using holographic gold

Before wrapping the tinsel, you may want to add a wire ribbing to reinforce the tinsel body. At the least you could coat the body with laquer.

Tie in a small bunch of grey squirrel for the underwing, followed by turkey for the overwing.
    Note: I prefer a smaller deer head and light collar, this could be alterred by moving the tie in point for the wings back slightly.

Notice that before I tie in the first bunch of deer, I clip the butt ends short first ( @ 1/4" - 3/8" from tie in point)to define where the collar (tips of hair going back over wings) is.
    Then tie in a 2nd  short bunch.

Trim your head.
    Note: a sharp razor blade is best.

With the lead wrapped the hook point will ride down. Anytime you place weight on the up side, it will invert the hook.

Hope this helps,
    Mark
    fishenfool46
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 1000
    RE: weighted flies question 2009/02/05 13:24:09 (permalink)
    those first ties i saw looked to me like a clouser if they weren't sorry all i can add is if tying a clouser use a popper hook or what is called a kink shank for a clouser is sooooooooo easy to tie the eyes on in the balanced area of the hook. my 2 cents

I didn't say these are the ten suggestions
    signed God
    kingnuke32
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1863
    RE: weighted flies question 2009/02/05 14:13:18 (permalink)
    Just getting ready to tie up a bunch of Clouser's for the summer smallie action... hmmm maybe an Idear for another swap in a bit.
    anchke
    Avid Angler
    RE: weighted flies question 2009/02/05 18:05:33 (permalink)
    KJH and Mark -- Thank you very much for your helpful pics and direction. I'm going to have to get better with the digital cam so I can return this kind of good deed.

Mark -- Could I just verify one thing on your Muddler tie?

>>>With the lead wrapped the hook point will ride down. Anytime you place weight on the up side, it will invert the hook.<<<

I understand you to mean that the Muddler as shown would ride hook point up, shank down since the weight is on the shank. Is that right? Do you think a tier should be concerned that a fly will fish upside down? (in comparison to the way it was in the vise) Or is this just an issue that anglers obsess about, but the fish don't care?

I appreciate the generous help. Thanks, again,

Kevin  
    flytierwon
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 115
    RE: weighted flies question 2009/02/05 19:42:41 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: anchke

KJH and Mark -- Thank you very much for your helpful pics and direction. I'm going to have to get better with the digital cam so I can return this kind of good deed.

Mark -- Could I just verify one thing on your Muddler tie?

>>>With the lead wrapped the hook point will ride down. Anytime you place weight on the up side, it will invert the hook.<<<

I understand you to mean that the Muddler as shown would ride hook point up, shank down since the weight is on the shank. Is that right? Do you think a tier should be concerned that a fly will fish upside down? (in comparison to the way it was in the vise) Or is this just an issue that anglers obsess about, but the fish don't care?

I appreciate the generous help. Thanks, again,

Kevin  

Keven,

The hook will ride with the hook point down in my muddler tutorial, because of the lead being wrapped around the shank.

When you place dumbell eyes or bead chain eyes on top of the shank the hook will ride hook point up.
    Cold
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 7358
    RE: weighted flies question 2009/02/05 20:08:09 (permalink)
    Excellent Muddler tutorial.  Pictures are always a huge help!
    anchke
    Avid Angler
    RE: weighted flies question 2009/02/05 20:53:34 (permalink)
    Mark, my last question was less artfully phrased than your answer. Thanks. 
    D-nymph
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6701
    RE: weighted flies question 2009/02/06 08:47:10 (permalink)
    If you really wanted a muddler to ride point up, you could try this:  Tie in a thick piece or two or three of lead on top of the shank, the full length of the shank.  Like .30 lead wire or some other large diamerter wire.  Then you'd have to tie the rest of the fly, for lack of a better term, upside down.  Wing and head on the under side of the shank. 

I do this on some flies, but not muddlers.
    anchke
    Avid Angler
    RE: weighted flies question 2009/02/06 11:24:37 (permalink)
    D-nymph -- Sorry, I'm confusing everyone, I guess.

My reason for asking the original Q was that I thought adding weight to the shank would, at some point, cause the fly to ride upside down. (your comment seems to agree with this)

I wanted to add weight to a Muddler without causing it to flip upside down.
    So I'm trying to get an idea how much weight I can add before reaching the tipping point.

I would think that adding weight to the shank as you describe would induce flipping. Also, Bob Clouser, in his minnow recipe, cautioned that the eyes need to be tied in at the 1/3 point (not at the hook eye) to cause the fly to invert and not simply head nose first for the bottom.

I've also seen Zonker recipes that are tied upside down -- weighted shanks, a cut through the rabbit strip, and the hook point protruding through the cut. Theory is that the weight on the shank flips it. 

Anyway, I think I'm going to do some streamside experimentation on the subject. I'll let yez know what I find.

Thanks, again, all,

Kevin  
    D-nymph
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6701
    RE: weighted flies question 2009/02/06 11:30:29 (permalink)
    If you want the muddler to ride hook point down, and be weihted, flytierwon's method is tops.  You can use his method and add as much weight as you wissh to add, it will never flip.

If you want the muddler to ride hook point up, without using dumbell eyes, my method will "probably" work, if enough lead is used.
    Cold
    Pro Angler
    RE: weighted flies question 2009/02/06 11:35:32 (permalink)
    Weight wrapped around a shank will not invert the hook, so long as it is wrapped evenly.  Youget your inversion when there is more weight on the side the hook bends away from, rather than toward.  On an otherwise unweighted fly, you need only get more weight lashed to the top than the weight of the hook bend (not much at all).  This is why dumbell eyes, a relatively heavy, concentrated load, will invert a clouser: they're tied on the top of the shank.  In the water, the heaviest side becomes the "bottom", regardless of how it was tied in the vise.  In the case of flies like the clouser, the eyes orient themselves toward the stream bottom, forcing the point up.  The weight to invert a muddler wouldnt be wound around the shank, it'd be short sections of lead tied across the top of the shank (side opposite the bend, usually the top, while tying).

Hope that helped rather than confused.
    anchke
    Avid Angler
    RE: weighted flies question 2009/02/06 17:35:07 (permalink)
    Aha! The light bulb went on! I wasn't seeing why the heck dumbbell eyes inverted a fly, but lead wrapped over the shank would not. Makes more sense now.

It's more than February indoor curiosity operating here; some places I fish don't allow weight on the leader, but allow weighted flies.

I appreciate all your pics, explanations and perseverance. 
    Cold
    Pro Angler
    RE: weighted flies question 2009/02/06 18:57:06 (permalink)
    No prob...what the heck kinda place is that screwy?
    dano
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2987
    RE: weighted flies question 2009/02/06 20:26:22 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: anchke

I've also seen Zonker recipes that are tied upside down -- weighted shanks, a cut through the rabbit strip, and the hook point protruding through the cut. Theory is that the weight on the shank flips it. 

Thanks, again, all,

Kevin  

My zonkers tended to ride inverted. I found that if tied on too long or wide of a strip, the added weight of the strip would invert the fly. I was shown a while back, here on fishereie to tie a couple of length of lead wire perpendicular and underneath the hook shank.
     Also, I found straight eye and up eye hooks along with a loop knot to help with unweighted flies that have a lot of winging and topping.
    Anyway, an inverted zonker sound like a nice idea.

Gone Fishing
    kingnuke32
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1863
    RE: weighted flies question 2009/02/06 21:19:23 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Cold

No prob...what the heck kinda place is that screwy?

I am Guessing NY as there ae MANY different regs on weight how far from the hook etc. The FF only sections are even more strict there. Every time I go to a different stream or even a different section of a stream up there I check out my NY reg book.
    anchke
    Avid Angler
    RE: weighted flies question 2009/02/06 21:56:30 (permalink)
    Dano -- charliesflybox > flybox > zonker
    Step by step on the upside down version of the zonker ... great how-to site, also.

>>>No prob...what the heck kinda place is that screwy?<<<

Cold -- I fish primarily in Corrupticut, I mean, Connecticut and in Maine, though I haven't been Nawth in a couple years.

FFO waters in CT forbid weight on the leader and require barbless flies.

As your basic, law-abiding fella who dislikes drama, Maine angling makes me a bit nervous, because the regs change from place to place. So rather than carry different flies, I go barbless and, where applicable weighted.

To tell the truth, the regs may have changed and I'm just following habit. But I still don't want to tie different flies for each stream.

There are also small "wild trout" streams in Connecticut that have their own regs. One is just a couple miles from me. Beautiful little spot, it looks like Maine complete with piney woods. The regs say it's open all year ... except for a spawning period. Many anglers don't read far enough to catch the limitation and run afoul of the law.

Funny thing -- first time I learned of the wild trout stream near me, I went off looking for it. Took me a heckuva long time, because the directions seemed to be inaccurate.  So I ignored the directions and went off looking where I thought it should be. Yep, some of the locals had either taken down road signs or switched them. They had also done a great job of blocking entrances to the stream with some of the nastiest briars I've ever seen. One whole bush was cleverly trimmed so you could open it like a door and close it behind you. Connecticut Yankees come by the name honestly.

You can't be too careful in Maine, either -- An outastatuh friend was once fishing from a canoe in a Maine pond that forbade "trolling."  He decided to paddle over to a little inlet and try a few casts. But he let his line trail in the water while moving from point A to B.  A warden standing on the shore waved him over, and he was fined for "trolling." Nope, he didn't catch anything. Dragging a line in the water was enough for a violation. Would he have been fined if he were a Mainer? Good question.

Jump to: