Stripping It Down

Author
salmotrutta
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2132
  • Reward points: 0
2007/06/29 18:48:40 (permalink)

Stripping It Down

I watched a show last week where there were two gents fishing. One was from the U.S. and the other from England.
As the story goes the American guy had this vest on. It was packed to the hilt, bulging pockets and a net hanging off of his back. Of coarse the hat, glasses and chest waders. I didn't notice a wading stick, but I'm sure he had one. And lets not forget the Boga Grip. The new "must have" gadget to weigh all fish by clamping it on thier jaws and hanging them for a spell.

The English fellow had a long sleeved fishing shirt on, rolled up to the elbows with his leader wallet and tippet in the wader front pocket. He was a good fisher, but it struck me that his fluid movements may have somthing to do with not being weighed down by 10 or 20 pounds of "essential" gear.

I since have thought about how silly the American "gadgeteer" looked in comparison to the stripped down English fellow.
I started to wonder How much do we really need to have on hand? Is the vest (Thank You Lee Wulff) really needed? Have we just been enticed into thinking it's all needed?
I think about my own vest. Hemostats, nippers, hook sharpeners, spare leaders, Tippet from 0X to 6X, clip on fly drying box, tape measure, floatant (2 kinds), knife, paper towels, fly boxes, about 6 differant sizes of split shot, lens cleaners for my sun glasses, etc.. I've felt it necessity lately to carry a water bottle with me, and a small snack too.
I have no Boga, or wading staff. I have a very fine net. I barely use it anymore as a result of not taking fish out of the water much any more.

How much do we need when fishing for an hour or two? Sometimes I do as the English fellow. Just a few flies and a spool of tippet. My hemostats have cutters, so I clamp them on to the shirt and go. I am thinking of doing this more often. In fact I want to rethink this whole gadget thing and attempt to strip back down to just what I need for an outing.
To be truthful I don't use waders much around home. If I get a little wet it dries, or I can change when I get home. There is no shame in getting wet and a little muddy. In fact to get the legs somewhat wet helps keep one cool on a hot day.
Just thought I would share this thought. Any other gadgeteers out there? What do you carry? Salmo

Lyrical

14 Replies Related Threads

waDerboy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1910
    RE: Stripping It Down 2007/07/01 17:02:24 (permalink)
    I'm a minimalist!
    steelydaze
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 376
    RE: Stripping It Down 2007/07/02 11:52:15 (permalink)
    flybox, leaders,tippets,hemostats,shot,floats and a bottle of water. I use to load every pocket in my vest up, so I cut some of the pockets off, now I just carry the least amount neccessary.
    indsguiz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6356
    RE: Stripping It Down 2007/07/03 11:12:19 (permalink)
    Funny you should start this thread since I was just evaluating my own vest.  I have even started "antique" fishing.   There didn't used to be waders.  Heck, untill the turn of the century there wern't even hip boots.  So now once in a while I'll just take a bamboo rod, small box of flies;  Denim shirt, kaki pants, and some good nylon boots (drain water fast) and waddle down to the stream.  I make sure to wear wool socks because they seem to dry out faster and keep my feet warmer.  My shoes and pants dry out on the walk back to the car.  And I keep my pant legs tucked in to the socks when I fish.   Sort of fun.  But BOY do you get some "Looks" when you step out on the creek among the gear hogs.  And don't you dare catch more fish.
           As a side note, I once had a gentleman look at my bamboo rod and tell me that I'd never catch anything on that thing... It's too old!   Ok, it's only been catching fish in my family for 100 years.  Guess it didn't get the memo.
          Most of the things we carry are there because we have been led to believe we "need" them.  All we really "Need" is a pole, some line, a hook and something the fish want to eat.  Everything else is extra.  Now there's a thought:  Nude fly fishing!

Illegitimis Non carborundum
    salmotrutta
    Pro Angler
    RE: Stripping It Down 2007/07/03 12:12:28 (permalink)
    Nude fishing?!?!?! Not me! A few of the finer female specimens I've seen fishing are more than welcome to give it a try. If there are any such women out there who need help fly fishing just give me a holler. Strictly professional of coarse. I'm married. LOL

Lyrical
    indsguiz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6356
    RE: Stripping It Down 2007/07/07 09:16:28 (permalink)
    Salmotrutta,
          I'm not!

Illegitimis Non carborundum
    waDerboy
    Pro Angler
    RE: Stripping It Down 2007/07/07 16:19:52 (permalink)
    I've stuck flies in too many exposed places to ever consider nude flyfishing. There are body parts just not made to be pierced!
    eagleed
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 425
    RE: Stripping It Down 2007/07/09 13:07:12 (permalink)
        Especially when those parts are so small.

LMAO

Eagle Ed
    salmotrutta
    Pro Angler
    RE: Stripping It Down 2007/07/09 18:14:20 (permalink)
    waDerboy- You just got served! LMAO.
    "Shrinkage I Tell YA- Shrinkage!"

Lyrical
    waDerboy
    Pro Angler
    RE: Stripping It Down 2007/07/10 07:34:58 (permalink)
    Like a frightened turtle.
    Always fish sizes 20 or smaller when naked, the comparison makes things look larger.
     Only served if there was no LMAO after it. 
    upnorth
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 11
    RE: Stripping It Down 2007/07/12 11:37:29 (permalink)
    I'm all for nude fishing. Girls only rule.  I shudder at the thought of what that river would look like if the rule were anything butt.
    Over the Hill
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2382
    RE: Stripping It Down 2007/07/12 18:45:10 (permalink)
    less is always better..........OTH

Attachment(s)

Attachments are not available: Download requirements not met
    Gottumguide
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 106
    RE: Stripping It Down 2007/07/12 20:05:11 (permalink)
    now that's a smokin hottie right there!

Drift boat guiding/chartering the Salmon River/Lake Ontario and since 1990.
    NYS guide lic # 1032
    www.salmonriverguide.com
    salmotrutta
    Pro Angler
    RE: Stripping It Down 2007/07/13 00:14:48 (permalink)
    Indeed!

Lyrical
    steelydaze
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 376
    RE: Stripping It Down 2007/07/20 22:18:03 (permalink)
    Good GOD!
    Jump to: