Author
blackmousie
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 11
  • Reward points: 0
2007/06/29 18:25:25 (permalink)

Walleye Questions for Erie Newbie

Good Eveing -

I am brand new to the site.  I also have never fished Walleye in Erie but am planning a week trip 7/22-7/30.  I will be fishing out of Northeast for 5 days & Barcelona NY for the last 3.  I will be fishing out out of a 17 foot deep vee. 

I understand the area know as the mountain draws fish & it realatively close to shore.   Would it make sense to use Northeast as a home base the entire time?  From what I have read the migration heads into NY as the summer wears on.  Fishing out of a small boat is somewhat limiting & I would like to keep any long runs to a min.

It seems dipsy divers are king in Erie.   Recent reports state fish suspended 30-40 down.  Why not use a long lead off a downrigger?  Does the dipsy take the bait to the side of the boat?  How about leadcore line off a planer board - is that popular?

I have used stick baits & spoons for walleye but don't have much experience with worm harnesses.  Do you troll them a little slower ?  I have always generally trolled the spoons slighly faster than the stickbaits.

I would really appreciate any feedback. 

Sorry if this was a bit long.  I am really looking foward to the trip.

8 Replies Related Threads

freshwaterdrumR
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 603
    RE: Walleye Questions for Erie Newbie 2007/06/30 09:39:08 (permalink)
    If you are walleye fishing, run boards and dipsys to keep your baits to the side of the boat. leadcore, flatlines, cookie, and medium dipsys work well off the boards, and large dipsys straight back. downriggers seem to catch less walleye than other methods.  i usually run downriggers with spoons and catch steelhead on them.  my best speed for worm harnesses has been anywhere from 1.8-2.2 and sometimes even a little faster.  just check them very so often to make sure there is still bait on them.
    jaymztrain
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 101
    RE: Walleye Questions for Erie Newbie 2007/06/30 12:12:23 (permalink)
    ditto
    blackmousie
    New Angler
    RE: Walleye Questions for Erie Newbie 2007/07/01 19:48:53 (permalink)
    Thanks for the info
    woodnickle
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8508
    RE: Walleye Questions for Erie Newbie 2007/07/06 20:48:32 (permalink)
    If the wlly,s are slow go for the smally,s , Jig with a double tail mister twister in white you,ll have a ball.

blackmousie
    New Angler
    RE: Walleye Questions for Erie Newbie 2007/07/06 21:09:54 (permalink)
    Thanks - The first & last time I fished Erie was out of Dunkirk NY Memorial Day Weekend in 2003.  I have never experienced such a quality Smallmouth fishery.  Everything I read was true!!!  Silver/Black Husky Jerks in 10-18 FOW WOW.
    Storm Warning 2
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 583
    RE: Walleye Questions for Erie Newbie 2007/07/07 16:20:38 (permalink)
    That is the most popular depth range for eyes historically speaking, rarely catch 'eyes deeper than 55' or so down in the column, can recall one very large eye we caught 63 down (looking for chrome), once.  45' down never seems to be a bad number.  We catch fewer eyes on riggers, but most often the largest.  There are tons of ways to get there, I prefer riggers, big dipsys on mono, braid, and wire, 40 jets on braid or wire, single strand wire and segmented lead core for plugs and look forward to soon experimenting with segmented copper for spoons and harnesses.  Harnesses seem to produce best for us on big divys.  They can definitely produce more eyes, but will get short hit a LOT and the junk loves them as well. 

crappie rod
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 18
    RE: Walleye Questions for Erie Newbie 2007/07/09 22:46:11 (permalink)
     Can I guy go out and drift with worm harnesses or run an double drop shot set up or bounce worms or minnow off the bottom. I don't have any of the equipment mentioned above. Where would you find the smallies and walleyes or perch out off of Northeast marina around this time? Or out off the mouth of the bay? I don't have a big boat, just a 16 ft. with a 48 horse. Don't want to venture out too far. Me and the wave don't mix.
    eyesandgillz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4012
    RE: Walleye Questions for Erie Newbie 2007/07/10 13:57:40 (permalink)
    Used to fish out of Barcelona a lot in the early 90's and we have caught eyes down 90', 100' and 110' targeting lakers.  Usually 8+ pounders too. 

ORIGINAL: Storm Warning 2

That is the most popular depth range for eyes historically speaking, rarely catch 'eyes deeper than 55' or so down in the column, can recall one very large eye we caught 63 down (looking for chrome), once.  45' down never seems to be a bad number.  We catch fewer eyes on riggers, but most often the largest.  There are tons of ways to get there, I prefer riggers, big dipsys on mono, braid, and wire, 40 jets on braid or wire, single strand wire and segmented lead core for plugs and look forward to soon experimenting with segmented copper for spoons and harnesses.  Harnesses seem to produce best for us on big divys.  They can definitely produce more eyes, but will get short hit a LOT and the junk loves them as well. 

Jump to: