Finger Lakes!

Author
porter64
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 161
  • Reward points: 0
2009/01/25 20:04:35 (permalink)

Finger Lakes!

Hello Everyone, I am from Pa. My wife and I are coming up to the finger lakes this summer. Can anyone tell me anything about these lakes, such as species, what they are known for,ect. I know nothing about them. Any info would be appreciated.

8 Replies Related Threads

Wisdom
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 374
    RE: Finger Lakes! 2009/01/25 20:16:58 (permalink)
    The DEC website has a lot of info like conture maps, species and such ...here is the link
    http://www.dec.ny.gov/index.html

A Bad Day of Fishing Beats the Hell Out of a Good Day at Work!!! But work ain't to bad either...flyshack.com
    jon_e_si
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1103
    RE: Finger Lakes! 2009/01/25 21:55:10 (permalink)
    You're in for a treat! They have them all from deep cold water trout & salmon to smallmouth, pike, perch etc. Honeoye is smaller and shallower and has good walleye fishing.

Google Finger Lakes for a wealth of information!
    griffon
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1104
    RE: Finger Lakes! 2009/01/26 10:49:01 (permalink)
    When are you going?  What Lake(s) specifically are you visiting? What do you want to target? 
    Neversink Jimmy
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 798
    RE: Finger Lakes! 2009/01/26 19:38:17 (permalink)
    Hit Cayuga.... 

It's got nearly everything you could ever hope for in terms of freshwater gamefish...

I fished the snot out of it during my college years- and still make a trip each spring to wail on Rainbows on the south end in Ithaca...  By May all the trout (bows, browns, lakers) and salmon are way down deep...  Cayuga drops to more than 400ft (Seneca next door tops 600ft) so you need a boat and a REALLY big downrigger to have a shot at the lakers...  But the Browns and Bows stay on the thermocline around 30-50ft most of the summer.

Shore fishing (year round) is killer at Milliken Station, a power plant on the east side.  I stop and toss Crocodile spoons there any time I am in the area.  On the west side, you can nail lots of trout at the State Park (Taghonnik Falls) right from shore. 

Bass, Pike and the usual pannies can be slayed from Long Point State Park on the Northeast side- or you can fish the barge canal in Montezuma all the way north.  Pike and bass abound in there- including plenty of nice fish. 

A lake as big as Cayuga gives you a shot at a legitimate monster nearly any time of year.

Get in touch before you go and I can steer you in the right direction.  I was out there six times just this past summer alone.  Besides- your wife will love it in Ithaca or Skaneatles...  And you will BOTH like it if you enjoy fine wines!!! 

The Finger Lakes Wine Trail is a blast- and the vineyards are impressive, indeed.  Again, Skaneatles will take care of your wife if she likes shopping.

For my $.02, Cayuga Lake beats all the other Fingers easily... 

But to each his own...

P.S.  In the wintertime, it's all about Tiger Muskies and BIG Browns in Otisco Lake...  I am due for a trip back out there. Maybe in two weeks.
    post edited by Neversink Jimmy - 2009/01/26 19:41:31

"I love fishing. You put that line in the water and you don't know what's on the other end. Your imagination is under there" -Robert Altman
    griffon
    Pro Angler
    RE: Finger Lakes! 2009/01/26 20:21:06 (permalink)
    Some pretty good information there...  Neversink,  I would guarantee we have crossed paths and fished together.  You did forget to mention Seneca, which can be just as good as Cayuga at times (rainbows are definitely better).  Also, I would take the fall Browns from Owasco over Otisco IMHO, but the Cayuga Browns are the biggest in the state possibly with the exception of L.O. (several 15-20 lb. fish are caught annually).  Guessing you are from downstate, I sure hope you get to throw the Crocs and Blue Fox Spinners at those giant Reservoir Browns (Prettiest Lake fish in the state). 
    post edited by griffon - 2009/01/27 07:48:32
    porter64
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 161
    RE: Finger Lakes! 2009/01/26 23:29:29 (permalink)
    I have alot of walleye, steelhead, and bass tackle. And a few ocean rods for cats in the three rivers. I do have some trolling gear but I will probably ren a boat for a day or two. Again I really appreciate all of the info guys!!! Tight lines to all of you this season!!!!
    griffon
    Pro Angler
    RE: Finger Lakes! 2009/01/27 07:53:39 (permalink)
    In the summer you may have a little more difficulty locating the trout and salmon (depending on what month specifically you go).  The bass will key on weed lines.  You can catch them on most presentations, but they really key in on the crawfish once the sawbellies move out after spawning.  Pike will also hold the weedlines and there are some true slammers.  If you want to just relax, throw micro sized bait in the weedline and you will catch all of the gills and perch you could possibly want (Seneca has some of the biggest perch in North America).  I hope you like wine, because you are in great wine country and will be exposed to many wineries.
    REEL FORCE
    • Total Posts : 552
    RE: Finger Lakes! 2009/01/27 16:56:26 (permalink)
    Jump to: