Kicking around some ideas about Terry

Author
T.T.
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1656
  • Reward points: 0
2007/06/29 01:30:31 (permalink)

Kicking around some ideas about Terry

If you've participated in the memorium thread for Terry "The Cripple", I'm sure you read that some of us would like to honor the man in some way.  Anyone who touches a group of people like he did with us and led the life he did deserves our praise and tributes.  As I wrote on another board, he proved time and again that the "disabled" aren't "unable". 

On that note, I have it in my mind that a truly fitting tribute would be for either an existing access, or a yet to be constructed "Chrome Dome" access point for handicapped fisherpersons be named in his honor.  Those who fished with him know first-hand that he faced many obstacles in his persuit of steelhead, as well as the other fish on his list.  It's the steelhead that connected most of us to him.  Obviously, I'm not saying that he deserves a tribute only along Steelhead Alley, but that one here would serve many, many people in their own pursuit of those famed "kamikazi" rainbows.

Just a thought while wiping tears. 

22 Replies Related Threads

kyler16
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2396
    RE: Kicking around some ideas about Terry 2007/06/29 02:42:29 (permalink)
    100% agree on that idea. Handicapped accessable area would be wonderful, if we cant get that then we have to work together to get something for his remembrance.

Where was his favorite spot? or where did he catch his first chromer or where did he enjoy time with everyone Im sure you all will know that. No matter what the cost or how much time it will take we have to all get something together.

Tell me who or where to make the check out too

"If you kill it, eat it. If you eat it, cook it right."
    -Steve Rinella
    chasinrainbows
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 189
    RE: Kicking around some ideas about Terry 2007/06/29 03:41:55 (permalink)
    I am game, this guy was like a brother to me. i will allways remember the first time I meet this man. it was at the edinboro country fair off 79. it was a misty saturday morning, we meet up with loopy,geneiman,dog and i cant recall who else. we fished upper elk then he meet up with me later that day to fish in my honey hole thats where we slammed the steel. I turned him on to live bait that day he went out shortly after that and got a noodle built. it was a nice rod, to bad i didnt get the chance to see him get some steel on it.
    elephanthead
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1057
    RE: Kicking around some ideas about Terry 2007/06/29 09:29:21 (permalink)
    count me in for time & money !!   Dave
    T.T.
    Pro Angler
    RE: Kicking around some ideas about Terry 2007/06/29 11:10:12 (permalink)
    I'm not sure how something of this nature gets done, but this could be the start of something good.  I imagine something like this will take alot of work, as well as alot of time.  Is there a yet un-named handicap access area?  Are there plans for any in the near future?  I certainly can think of a few spots that would work, but I'm totally clueless as to whether or not they are private land or public.  With the recent easements, are any of those earmarked for improvements?  Terry sure did have a passion for public access, and the easements would be at the top of my list.  Imagine not just quality fishing access, but lavatory facilities, electric hook-ups (for recharging chairs), picnic areas, and best of all, a welcome place for those folks who suffer through various afflictions and injuries (vets come to mind first) yet posess a love of the outdoors.  Let it be open to the public, but mandate that the area be made available when those that need it most arrive.  Just more thoughts.
    Bughawk
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3247
    RE: Kicking around some ideas about Terry 2007/06/29 11:59:14 (permalink)
    I know that this idea may seem a little crazy, so please don't slam me for thinking out loud, but any area that we are looking for that is fully accessible would need to be near a parking facility, have easy access to the stream, and have the other attributes that T.T. has mentioned.  The most logcial place that comes to mind for me is the area at Walnut creek access.  I know the wall of nuts is the opposite of what Terry stood for as a sportsman, but it is a site that is accessible.  Perhaps there could be a section that is designated for people with disabilities.  I realize this will be nearly impossible to enforce given the spot is already overcrowded, but it might not be a bad idea to try. 

If that idea doesn't fly, what about seeing there is handicap parking at the more common sites around such as the Legion hole, or the parking area at Sterretania and West road?  Maybe even working making it a little easier to get to the stream.  This would need to be difinitely coordinated with a lot of folks.

What I am wondering also is if we could find a way to erect some type of memorial to Terry and other sportsmen and women who have over come challenges to pursue the sports they loved and make it not just a memorial, but a teaching monument to good ethics?   Terry was one heck of a fisherman and hunter and he was one of the most ethical people I knew.  What better way to remember this man than to have a memorial that remembers him and what he stood for.  Maybe something like the sportmans ten commandments, or something like that.  I don't know, I am just throwing out ideas here.  Perhaps something to get people to stop and think for a moment about what they are doing.  I fully realize most folks will ignore it, but if a few find it meaniful, then I believe it is worth the effort.

The bottom line for me is that Terry made such a positive impact in so many people's lives while he was physically with us, I would like to think that his memory would have a positive impact in the lives of others who never met him or even heard of him.

pax vobiscum +
    kevinupp
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 606
    RE: Kicking around some ideas about Terry 2007/06/29 15:17:25 (permalink)
    One of his favorite streams for the longest time was 4-mile.
    indsguiz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6356
    RE: Kicking around some ideas about Terry 2007/06/29 17:31:18 (permalink)
    Gentlemen,
         For starters how about a block or a capstone at Walnut?  This is for the rememberance.  Then somebody who has access to the  Walnut Launch could ask the  who, what, how questions about getting a larger monument errected.  I'll send a check.   What's a block in the wall cost?   All in all it's just another block in the wall>  Terry would have liked that and busted me out for it.
           OK, and here's me answering my own question:   Brick:  $50.00,  Block:  $100.00,  Cap Stone; Garden side:  $325.00, Back Side:  $275.00
    post edited by indsguiz - 2007/06/29 17:37:48

Illegitimis Non carborundum
    dano
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2987
    RE: Kicking around some ideas about Terry 2007/06/29 18:40:13 (permalink)
    That walkway we built at Walnut Creek that leads down to the stop sign hole.
     I helped with that project for a few reasons. A big reason was to help people like Terry get to the stream.

Whatever you guys decide, count me in.

orionz06
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 7
    RE: Kicking around some ideas about Terry 2007/06/29 19:04:27 (permalink)
    heres the deal for me....

never knew him, never met anyone that did, but, what knowing that he stopped at nothing to do what he loved gets me thinking.....

i would love to help in some way for an access for the disabled/veterans and the like.....i found out what the "patriot guard" was the other day, it was something my dad did, and if ya look it up, it makes ya proud and makes me wanna make a difference for one person atleast.....
    NavyGuy
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 84
    RE: Kicking around some ideas about Terry 2007/06/29 20:42:19 (permalink)
    Great idea. After Terry lost the use of his legs we would talk about what streams we were going to fish when he got rehabilitated. Not many you can get to in a wheel chair. It's shocking how few of our public streams are accessable to the physically disabled.
    The pay to fish places are more accessable then PA public streams.

The "Gem" was one of Terry's most talked about streams.

-NavyGuy-
    71gto
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 774
    RE: Kicking around some ideas about Terry 2007/06/29 20:58:49 (permalink)
    This is such a great idea to honor Terry....count me in! Which ever idea you guys decide on, I can help financially.

Gort! Klaatu barada nikto!
    NavyGuy
    Novice Angler
    RE: Kicking around some ideas about Terry 2007/07/02 19:14:23 (permalink)
    bump
    Youghman
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 310
    RE: Kicking around some ideas about Terry 2007/07/02 21:04:18 (permalink)
    Count me in.
    I had planned to take Terry on the Yough this spring at Smithton, but because of his setbacks that trip fell through. Later,when I told him about the handicapped access at Confluence he was very jazzed and all for it and we made plans for a trip after he finished his re-hab. Very sadly, we never got that opportunity, either.
    Terry would really appreciate some connection to improving handicap access on an Erie trib.
    Cripsbrother
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 10
    RE: Kicking around some ideas about Terry 2007/07/06 20:07:01 (permalink)
    I am Terry's little brother, I have never posted on the boards before, but my brother used to tell me about all his friends on the boards, we would set in the boat and not catch athing but my brother could go on for hours about all of you. I am going to look around and read what my brother wrote about and exagerated about LOL!!! But thank you for making him part of your lives, he loved it.
    T.T.
    Pro Angler
    RE: Kicking around some ideas about Terry 2007/07/06 20:31:13 (permalink)
    Wow!  Welcome aboard!  Terry was a hell of a guy, and I'm sorry for your loss.  I hope coming here helps the healing. 

Do yourself a favor and visit "Old Board" through the link at the top, and search for his stuff there.  It's great reading, and you'll see what we did and why he hit home with so many of us.  I've got to say, though, getting to know him off-board was even better.  Thanks for checking in, and since you're a fisherman too, please add your own spin on things.  Just don't feel obligated to fill his shoes.  It wont be expected of you, so have fun.

woodnickle
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8508
    RE: Kicking around some ideas about Terry 2007/07/06 20:37:50 (permalink)
    Terry's bro, your brother was a hero for not quitting ,even when things looked bad. There are people that go through life with no problems and do not understand what it is like to have a disability. Also how the family must cope with this. Hard on all, as you and your family know. Remember him as he was, a kind person with God in his heart. Thank you and your family for being by him. god bless you all.

NavyGuy
    Novice Angler
    RE: Kicking around some ideas about Terry 2007/07/06 21:04:56 (permalink)
    Brian
    Welcome to the boards. I appreciate you taking the time to talk to me at the memorial service. I know your loss is great.
    Terry talked to me often and with a lot of affection about his younger brother. There was no doubt he loved you dearly. I also heard about your disagreements but he couldn't hold them very long. Then it was back to how his young bro would stand up for him back on the streets and streams of Lewistown.
    He also told me about hunting deer at your place and how you made sure the boys got their deer. Now maybe he exagerated a little about the number of deer that came by your place. Sounded too good to be true.
    Walter the NavyGuy
    Bughawk
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3247
    RE: Kicking around some ideas about Terry 2007/07/06 21:28:09 (permalink)
    Welcome to the board.  Terry was quite a presence here.  He meant a lot to us and we will all miss him.

pax vobiscum +
    Cripsbrother
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 10
    RE: Kicking around some ideas about Terry 2007/07/06 22:07:28 (permalink)
    Yeah, we could fight like cats and dogs, but i didnt put up with anyone else fighting with him. As far as the deer stories they were probably acturate, I live at the base of a mountain where there is alot of posted property and no doe hunting, (unless you were Terry!!!), and I think he was probably telling you about the time he was muzzleloader hunting and my son and I pushed a heard that had around 50 or so in it, and we pushed them right past terry, we laughed everytime we were together that story came up. He was 7 years older than me, but when we were little I never viewed my brother as handicapped or disabled, and in my eyes he wasn't, he had trophies for Archery, football, he played baseball, I remember he would catch the ball and stick his glove under his arm and take the ball out and throw with the same hand he caught with, my mom and dad never left him give up, one time my mom found out this kid was picking on him and she took him by the arm and went down the street and made him punch the kid, LOL we always laughed about that one.
    indsguiz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6356
    RE: Kicking around some ideas about Terry 2007/07/07 09:10:18 (permalink)
    Brian,
         I only met your brother once, in passing, but we developed a good friendship thru the telephone and the internet.  We often talked about fishing, and one of the things we were going to do was fish the Raystown below the dam.  Terry wanted to put in at the dam and float down to the "point" and then motor back up.  We never got to make that trip and for that I am very sorry.  He was very well liked.

Illegitimis Non carborundum
    flyfishindave
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 659
    RE: Kicking around some ideas about Terry 2007/07/07 14:31:58 (permalink)
    Brian I did not meet you at Terrys service but I will miss him coming to spring creek & to my camp for supper. he was a great guy.
        Dave
    Youghman
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 310
    RE: Kicking around some ideas about Terry 2007/07/07 21:03:47 (permalink)
    Brian- It was nice to meet you and your family at Terry's memorial and have a laugh about him getting on you to make your boat "Yough ready". When he got his mind set on something there was no turning him back, as you well know.
    He was one hell of a character and everyone on this board misses him.
    Jump to: